FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CalGal (Julie)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CalGal (Julie)
    Posted: Jul 06 2009 at 5:49pm
An announcement from a rep on behalf of the family: 

After a 4 year battle with breast cancer, I am sorry to relate that Julie Ann (Cook) Carpenter died on Friday, February 20, 2009 in her Los Angeles home, peacefully and surrounded by family.  Her courage and grace during that battle were an inspiration to all who knew her.

A memorial service will be held Saturday, March 7, 2009 at 10:00 a.m. at Bethel Lutheran Church, 5750 W. Olympic Blvd. in Los Angeles, California.  A reception will follow.  (Parking is often restricted on the side streets in the Miracle Mile area, so please be careful.)

The family asks that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Julie Ann Carpenter Memorial Fund, created to honor her memory and assist women who are searching for new treatment options.  For more information, please visit
www.JulieAnnCarpenter.org or call (213) 399-2161.

Born in San Francisco in August, 1962 to Roy Cook and the late Ann Cook, Julie grew up in Saratoga, California.  She graduated from the University of California at Santa Cruz with a Bachelors Degree, and from the University of Southern California with a Master of Arts in Urban Planning.  She worked for the County of Los Angeles for over twenty years, mostly with the Department of Beaches and Harbors.  She also served as President of the Miracle Mile Residential Association from 1999 to 2001.

She is survived by her husband, Tristram; her father Roy and her stepmother Ana of Saratoga; her brother Greg and sister-in-law Jean, and their children Landon and Gemma, of Oakland.  She will always be loved and remembered by her family, and will be greatly missed.  She will be buried in Saratoga, California with a memorial service in Los Angeles on March 7.

She was a determined breast cancer advocate, researching and promoting the latest medical information on the most advanced treatments available to breast cancer patients and networking with many physicians and patients through multiple breast cancer organizations and forums.  She participated in the UCLA metastatic cancer support group, November 2006 Metastatic Breast Cancer Network Conference, May 2007 Revlon Run/Walk, June 2007 AWOL retreat as well as many other organizations and events.

Julie was a fierce fighter and she will be greatly missed.  Fond memories of her will always be with us.

With deepest sorrow,

Dikla

Dikla Benzeevi

Breast Cancer Patient Advocate

Los Angeles, CA

818-970-9446
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2009 at 6:09pm
PineHouse
Senior%20Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote PineHouse Replybullet Topic: Sharing sad news-CalGal
    Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 6:12pm

With a deepest sorrow, Iím sharing sad news with you that CalGal passed away last night, with her husband and other family members by her side.  She was a fierceful fighter and may the fond memory of her always be with us.

For those of you in California, plans for services have not been finalized yet.  Her husband may come to this board and post some details.

Stage IV lung-06/06 brain-12/08 BRCA1 TNBC
Avastin+Taxol,Carboplatin,PARP-Inhibitor,Navelbine+Xeloda,Avastin+Ixempra,Doxil+Cytoxan
Currently Abraxane+Gemzar (3/09)
http://pinehouse.wordpress.com/
IP IP Logged Report%20Post

Nancy
Senior%20Member

Quote Nancy Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 6:48pm
Oh Pinehouse,

Thank you so much for telling us...I had such a beautiful card from her at Christmas, with pictures of her and her husband in Ireland.

She was such a beautiful person...so kind, and was the first person to reply to me when I joined the site. Oh Pinehouse, she will be missed so much. I do have her address, and do you think her husband would object to me posting it?

Much love, as I know you will miss her terribly,
Nancy
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008

trip2
Senior%20Member

Quote trip2 Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 7:11pm
We've lost another wonderful young woman who helped so many people over the last few years including me. 

I have her picture here by my computer and just today I was looking at her and thinking I need to check in with her.  So heartbreaking to loose such a precious young lady.  This is so very sad to hear.

My prayers and blessings to her friends and family. Heart
Pam

Stage 2 gr 3 dx 12/02
Stage 1 gr 3 dx 2/07
BRCA 1+

Lauriejn
Senior%20Member

Quote Lauriejn Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 7:12pm
damn
Dx Oct2008- IDC Gr 3/Stage 3C
Mastectomy 11/7/08- 6/21 nodes
Bone Mets dx Dec 2008-Stage 4
Albany, NY BRCA neg

CarynRose
Senior%20Member

Quote CarynRose Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 7:12pm
I just can't bear this.
Orig dx 6/03 - St.2a, IDC
gr.3,0 nodes, TNBC/BRCA1+
7/07 St 4 mets to lymph node and lungs. PACA/Rads NED 11/07-10/08
Leptomeningeal mets 10/08-Intrathecal MTX/WBR & spine rads. 3/09-CSF benign

texasgirl
Groupie
Groupie

Quote texasgirl Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 7:24pm

Hi Pinehouse,,

Thanks for letting us know.  My deepest sympathy goes out to her friends and family. I had not been on the site for awhile and sent her an e-mail after I found out about it traveled to her brain.   I was privileged to have met with you both at the Mets conference a couple of years ago.   She definitely was a fighter and from her e-mails it sounds like the last couple of years she made the most of her life by traveling and spending time with her friends and family.  It does give me some peace to know that she will be with her mother that also lost her life way too early to this horrible disease.

I know this a big loss for you since you were so close. Both of you have been a wonderful inspiration to me.  Know that both of you have been pioneersí  to all  the triple negative and BRCA community by going through so many clinical trials and different combination of chemoís.  I think I have her address, but if you can reply or PM me with it along with a link to her obituary.

Cindy
dx 5/11/07 (Age 41), Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 12 weekly taxol, 4 FAC, 8.5 cm, Extensive positive nodes, Masectomy 0/17 nodes, 30 Rads, Currently NED

sunbearz
Senior%20Member

Quote sunbearz Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 7:25pm
 My deepest sympathy.We learn and fight for those before us and after us.Who ever we meet and touch during the journey strenghthens the link we all share.
   Jill
Dx 1998 mast.Bone mets 2003
ac/xeloda,zometa,taxotere,,doxcil,rads to hip
triple neg brca-
2008 mets supraclav lym rads-gone
Gemsar
Abraxine
cytox
2008 Apr-gemsar/taxol combo
Taxotere

dmwolf
Senior%20Member

Online Status: Online
Quote dmwolf Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 8:21pm
I'm so sad to hear this.  From her posts I could tell how full of life and love she was.  f**k this disease.
With love and sorrow,
Denise
DX 2/08 stg II IDC; gr2,no nodes. Neoadjuvant chemo, first ACx2 (didn't work) then CarboTaxotere x 6 (much better). Lumpectomy, Rads x 36 until 11/18/08; Clodronate.
IP IP Logged Edit%20Post

Lisa L
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Lisa%20L Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 8:21pm
Rest in peace CalGal.  We will miss you.
Dx 8/05 age 43
mast & lat flap 10/05
Triple neg
BRCA neg
IDC 4.5cm rt br
0/1 sen node
6 A/C 5 Taxol, 25 rads 11/05-6/06
Central Illinois
Currently NED

nosurrender

Quote nosurrender Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 9:31pm
This is such sad news. I never knew anyone like Julie. She was an amazing woman and so very dear.
My heart is breaking. We have had so many losses lately.
May God bless her and give comfort to her dear husband, and warm hugs to all of you as well.
Sadly,
Gina
www.nosurrenderbreastcancerhelp.com
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2009 at 6:10pm
Bunnysmama
Senior%20Member

Quote Bunnysmama Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 10:28pm
Thank you for sharing the news, although I wish this didn't have to be.  She was a fighter and a beautiful person.  She was also young and should have had so much more life to live.  My heart breaks for her and her family.  May she rest in peace.
Dx 11/06 @ age 37
IDC
Stage I, Grade 3
BRCA2+

CalGal
Senior%20Member

Quote CalGal Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 11:55pm

[This is CalGal's husband]

Hello all,

Thanks, everyone, for your prayers and thoughts for Julie.  She'd be proud and honored to know she helped so many of you fight this terrible disease.

There will be a service on Friday, February 27 in Saratoga, California.  Julie grew up there and will be buried next to her beloved Mom, whose life was also cut short by breast cancer.

There will also be a service in Los Angeles, probably the following weekend.  I'll post some details when it's more finalized.

For those of you who may want to attend the Saratoga service, please email or PM me and I'll give you details.

Pictures tell the story better.  Here's one of me and my Angel:

BRCA1
9/04 Bi-lat lump, clear SNB
38x Rad'tn
12/05 Recurr bc & mets to liver
06 the year of chemo
NED for 13 mos until 7/07
Lung met. PARP trial until ...
2/08 Liver mets again

Nancy
Senior%20Member

Quote Nancy Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2009 at 12:14am
Dear  Tris,

I am siiting here crying as I type....and I cannot express what I am feeling to you. Julie was always so sweet and kind to everyone here on the site....and I know she was that way to all who knew and loved her.

She will be greatly missed....but never forgotten. We will speak of her often, and will tell the new women of her fight with this disease. Thank you so very much for writing to us....and may you now find peace knowing that she does not have to fight any longer. She is at peace.

Much love to you and her family
Nancy....Lori's mom
Nancy
mastectomy July 6 2007
28 rads ended Jan 2008

josie33
Groupie
Groupie

Quote josie33 Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2009 at 1:46pm
Please accept my deepest condolences on the passing of your extraordinarily brave wife, whom I never met but feel I knew in a small but profound way through reading her posts on this forum.  Although i know her loss is painful and incomprehensible, I hope you take some solace in the fact that she is no longer suffering.  My prayers and best wishes to you and your family.  As Nancy said, she will not be forgotten. 

Josie (sister of Lisa, DX'd with TNBC in Nov.2008)

krisa
Senior%20Member

Quote krisa Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2009 at 3:16pm
Thank you so much for sharing that beautiful picture and for keeping us informed.
Sending prayers to you and your family.
Heart
lump12-07 chemo Jan-May AC/T DD
30 Rads 2.2 cm, n/node, grade 3, stage 2
Diagnosed granulosa ovarian cancer 2/09
"May the lord...give you His peace no matter what happens."
II Thessalonians 3:16 N

Barb-42
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Barb-42 Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2009 at 10:43pm
I am very sorry for your loss.
My prayers are with you and your family.
Barb
dx-1/2/08 @ 42 years old
lumpectomy w/clean margins/ 1/14/08- no nodes/stage 1/gr.3
1.5 CM IDC
chemo(AC-3 every 2 weeks) (Taxol weekly 12) 2/21/08-7/17/08
Rads-33 (including 8 boost)8/6/08-9/22/08

billie
Senior%20Member

Quote billie Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2009 at 10:54pm

I sit here trying to type through eyes filled with tears,and a heart that is weighing so heavy with sorrow that it fills as if it could at any moment break into.

Billie for my beautiful sister Betty
Billie posting for sis Betty/67/caucasion female/diagnosed 2-27-08/stg3/7mm/invasive ductal carcinoma/trip neg/clear margins/node neg/4 X's taxotere-cytoxan/36 rads/7-08 PET/CT double image/no cancer

BrendaF
Senior%20Member

Quote BrendaF Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 9:03am
Tris, I am so sorry.  I have been worried since our Julie had such a hard time at the holidays - then disappeared from the boards.  I dreamed of her over and over last night.

She was in such a quandary last fall over whether or not to take the trip to Ireland.  I hope you both were glad that you went and that you don't have any regrets.
Dx 2005 2 cm, 5/12 nodes, A/C + T, 28 rads.
Dx mets 12/07 mediastinal and supraclavicular nodes, carbo + taxotere X 6.
hilar node progression Nov 08.
1 brain met, G/K 1/09, bone mets 4/09 rads

Kathleen
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Kathleen Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 1:33am

To CalGal's family,

I too am very sad to hear of your loss.  She was and will continue to be an inspiration to many on this site.  I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Kathleen
Yours Online, Kathleen

12/99 bc initial dx-stage 1, Nottingham-tenovus cells - bilateral mast.
6/08 TN cells, only in lungs
Treatments: 6/08-5/09 Taxol & Carboplatin. 5/09+ Xeloda.

Wendy2
Senior%20Member

Quote Wendy2 Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 8:42am
CalGal's family;

I haven't been on here in a week or so. I am so very sad to hear this news and shocked. She and I connected too, as she did with many of us. Thank you for sharing her with us and for sending us a beautiful photo. Thought and prayers are with you.

Very sincerely,
Wendy
dx 3/06 TN, taxotere/cytoxin x4; radiation x 40; mets. to lungs, lymph nodes 3/08 - to begin chemo 4/29/08 Abx/Avas., 9/08 Avastin maintenance, 1/09 - off meds to see if Avastin causing headaches
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2009 at 6:11pm

Senior%20Member

Quote Nancy Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 1:09pm
Pinehouse,

Thank you so much for posting this. Julie was the same age as our Lori.  It is just so wonderful to read that her family has reached out already to all the women who are searching for new treatment options.

Again,
Thank you,
Nancy

Nancy
mastectomy July 6 2007
28 rads ended Jan 2008

kikidan

Quote kikidan Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 8:39pm
To CalGal's Family,

Please accept my deepest sympathy.  I am sorry to hear that Julie's battle is over.

Sincerely........Kiki

cynbatt

Quote cynbatt Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 10:15am

I feel your pain and hope that you can find the strength to get through this time. You photo was beautiful, thanks for sending it!

We always think of those who meant so much to us. They are special in our hearts forever.

With sadness,
Cindy
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2009 at 7:43am
Dear all,

I first met Julie on a BRCA message board several years ago. I made a suggestion to her in a post and gave her my email and we corresponded off the board and then about six months later I met her about an hour before a support dinner we were both going to. We walked around Westwood and I can still vividly remember what we talked about and the very strong impression she left on me that is still in my heart.

She was a marvelous, caring woman. Very bright and very committed to helping others despite her own agonizing battle. I met her husband, Tris, at dinner that night. A lovely man.

Going to her funeral some months ago was a profoundly sad experience for me but it was very uplifting as well. Different women spoke so beautifully about who Julie was, the work she did and the work that remains to be done. She is part of the reason I am an advocate and I want to thank her for that.

Rest in peace, dear Julie.

with fond memories and deep respect for what she did for others.

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic