FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aggressive enough?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lizziealberta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizziealberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aggressive enough?
    Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 4:50pm
In 09, I was diagnosed with ER+ node neg  BC. Had C/T, rads, AI, and currently NED for the ER+ cancer. In April during a regular MRI, a lymph node lit up in my arm pit. It's TNBC. A case review at Moffitt Cancer Center found the cancer in 09 was misdiadnosed by the pathologist. It was an ER core with a TNBC shell. If I had A/C/T in 09, we might not be here but my oncologist wanted to save me the potential for heart issues since I am an athlete.
Fast forward 4.5 years and I feel like he is again being too conservative, reccommending 4 rounds A/C (just finished) then abraxane. I have been reading the ISPY study and feel carbo/taxol and potentially also avastin are called for. The consulting oncologist at Moffitt agrees with me. I am not sold on avastin but am sold on the carbo.
I am no shrinking violet. I know how to handle my oncologist but the issue is: what is the right choice? Do I try for a third opinion to break the stalemate? What If I push hard and choose wrong? I am made of steel but I assure you, I cannot do this a third time. Help
ER+ misdiagnosed 09, was ER+/TNBC,lumpectomy, C/T, rads, AI. TNBC in node 4/14, in neoadjuvant A/C then carbo/gemzar, complete path response. double mastectomy.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 4:59pm
Just my two cents, I'd add the Carboplatin, but skip the Avastin.  Here's a link to some studies showing Carbo increases pcr, but not so much good news on Avastin and too toxic.

http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/adding-carboplatin-increases-pcr_topic11688.html

You can always get a third opinion if it will make you feel better.  I got 3 for my radiation treatment with my recurrence.  Sometimes we're trying to make the best decision, not really knowing how our tumor's will respond. 

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

lizziealberta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizziealberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 5:27pm
I have a PET scheduled for Monday to see how I have responded to the AC. But from my standpoint, even if it looks clean as a whistle, I would prefer to do the carbo.
Thanks for the heads up on avastin
ER+ misdiagnosed 09, was ER+/TNBC,lumpectomy, C/T, rads, AI. TNBC in node 4/14, in neoadjuvant A/C then carbo/gemzar, complete path response. double mastectomy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic