FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WHO IS DOING THINGS TO REDUCE RECURRENCE RISK?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
brocha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHO IS DOING THINGS TO REDUCE RECURRENCE RISK?
    Posted: Sep 08 2019 at 2:08pm
What kinds of things are you doing?

Aside from lifestyle changes, I've read about aspirin, metformin, Fosamax (or other bisphonates), melatonin and copper depletion.

If anyone out there has experience or is well-read about these (or other things), I would love to hear your opinions/recommendations.

Wishing everyone well--

Best,
Brocha
sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2019 at 8:49pm
I am asking the same.... my current MO offered xeloda since I did surgery first, the other MO actually offers me keytrude 522 taking the infusion for 1 year as part of the immunization therapy, although my PD L1 turns to negative but he said worth trying to eliminate recurring.... I haven’t decided yet and will be doing my last abroxane next Wednesday... 

Any other input? 
strongtogether View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongtogether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2019 at 6:14am
Is Keytruda used at all to prevent recurrence? I havent been able to find anything about its use to prevent recurrence. I cant understand why not though. Surely there should be some trials at the very least? 

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2019 at 8:27am
Merck’s Keytruda fails in Phase III triple-negative breast cancer study, but has a few more chances

KEYNOTE-119 is a Phase III trial evaluating Keytruda as a monotherapy compared to a physician’s choice of single-agent chemotherapy in metastatic triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC).

Pembrolizumab and Chemotherapy Met Primary Endpoint in Phase III TNBC Trial

The combination of pembrolizumab (Keytruda) with chemotherapy demonstrated a benefit in terms of pathological complete response (pCR) when used as neoadjuvant therapy compared with chemotherapy alone in patients with triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC), according to interim results of the pivotal phase III KEYNOTE-522 trial. Merck announced in a press release that this met one of the dual-primary endpoints for the neoadjuvant/adjuvant study. 

“These findings from this innovatively designed trial with Keytruda mark the first time an anti–PD-1 therapy plus chemotherapy has demonstrated a statistically significant improvement in pathological complete response rate as a neoadjuvant, or pre-surgical, segment of treatment for triple-negative breast cancer,” said Roger M. Perlmutter, MD, PhD, president, Merck Research Laboratories, in the press release. “TNBC is an aggressive malignancy with a high rate of recurrence within the first five years of diagnosis. We are encouraged by these results and plan to discuss these data with health authorities and to present these findings at an upcoming medical congress.”

The interim analysis also showed that the safety profile was consistent with prior reports of pembrolizumab and no new safety signals were found. 

The ongoing registration-enabling study will continue without changes to the trial design based on the recommendation of the independent data monitoring committee to evaluate the other primary endpoint of event-free survival (EFS). 

KEYNOTE-522 is a randomized, double-blind phase III trial that is assessing the anti–PD-1 therapy in combination with chemotherapy or chemotherapy alone as neoadjuvant therapy followed by pembrolizumab versus placebo as adjuvant therapy in patients with TNBC (NCT03036488).
https://www.targetedonc.com/news/pembrolizumab-and-chemotherapy-met-primary-endpoint-in-phase-iii-tnbc-trial
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2019 at 10:42am
My local and MD Anderson Drs recommend I take none of these. Aspirins risk of liver and digestive side effects outweigh benefit. My blood sugar stays excellent so no to metformin. I do periodic bone density tests, no issue there (thank goodness cuz Fosamax has some gnarly possible side effects). Melatonin gives me nightmares. Copper depletion is mostly used with known active disease, stage 4? The explanation was something like that. 
I do a multivitamin. They check my vitamin D, but it's excellent - if it wasn't I'd take that. My husband and I both started fish oil, his triglycerides were on the high side of normal last physical so why not? I rarely drink, try to eat reasonably well, we've cut down on the red meat. After my first cancer treatment I went back to Normal Life. My long hours high stress Big Responsibilities job. Go, go, go! This time we're doing it different. We've moved out of the big city, the air is cleaner, the trees and quiet and stars at night help us....breathe. De-stress. I work on my big, long neglected yard a lot and I'm planning my Big Garden next year. I swim a lot. I restore antiques and refinish furniture, the physicality of it plus the creativity is my new zen. I  volunteer - helping others is an amazing way to stop thinking about yourself. All that makes me feel better not only physically but mentally. I don't know if all that will help keep the cancer at bay, but I sure am happier and enjoying whatever time I've got a lot more. After living this treatment nightmare twice I can definitely say that peace of mind comes from within. I wish we had a magic pill like they have for hormone positive cancer but we dont. No drug or long term behavior has proven wildly successful.  So my best advice is give your energy to figuring out how to live your best life. You've survived a very deadly cancer, and made it thru one of the hardest cancer treatment plans there is CONGRATULATIONS!!! Celebrate that every day in some way. Give that energy. It's not easy at first but TRY to stop yourself from worrying about the unknown. Redirect yourself towards SOMETHING that gives you joy. If you just can't, talk to your doctor. Anti depressants can be the kick start you need. I did em both times. If being here on the forums causes you added stress and anxiety, step away. We will miss you much, but your happiness and peace is now your First Priority - that's your doctors order! Nothing makes my doctors happier than hearing about what my husband and and I are up to since treatment. I can't wait to show my oncologists the latest pics in a few weeks of what we've done! She gets teary so I get teary and we laugh and hug and..We take a lil time each appointment to celebrate THAT. Then she'll tell me something like, "I really want another ultrasound of your thyroid" and I'll be briefly bummed. I put that on my calendar then force myself to not think about it til I have to do it. 
The abrupt end of our arduous treatment process is jarring, scary and disconcerting. It's consumed your life for months! And they don't give you a guarantee, in fact they say call us if you have ANY physical problem that lasts more than 5-7 days. That's scary. And they want to see you every 3 months! That's scary. But worrying between times just doesn't do a damn thing but make you sad and unhappy and quite likely depressed. So try hard to stooooooop it. Seek help if you need it - counseling, meds whatever to restart your life again. Don't do what I did - I had to go thru this sh!tshow twice to learn, you can do it now!!!

Edited by Kellyless - Sep 09 2019 at 10:42am
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
brocha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2019 at 4:57pm
You are BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Thank you for the loving, heartfelt message.
sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2019 at 10:02pm
Kelly, darling , read your message I had tears as which exactly I am worried about the unknown... how to live my life in peace and happy no worry is my biggest challenges...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic