FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What should I do?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ducky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What should I do?
    Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 5:54am
Confused  I have recently be diagnosed with a recurrence.  I had a 1.0 cm lump in the area of the mastectomy I had in 2003.  I already had radiation then a PET scan and they found two stops in my lungs.  However, then they did CT cans and the spots look lesss mass like and a bit smaller so they do not think they are cancer now.  I had a biopsy done on my lymph node that they were concerned about and I am waiting for the results.  My oncologist wants to do chemotherapy whether the lymph nodes are positive or negative.  I think due to the triple negative diagnosis, I should have chemotherapy.  My husband is unsure about this because there is no sing of the cancer spreading as of yet.  Any thoughts?
Beth Anne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 6:16am
Good Morning Ducky,
Just wanted to say that I am going through much the same thing... There are spots in my lungs that have showed up on 2 CT and on the PET... although they tell me they think they may not be cancer and caused from radiation treatment, but they are watching them... I also have an enlarged lymph nod that the did a biopsy on last month and will be going to the doctor this next week to see what that is all about.
Do they know that any of yours are cancer? Have your cancer marker gone up??? I think if it was me I would put off any type of chemo until you know for sure what you are fighting. Being that you have TNBC chemo is our best and only weapon against this beast... Save it until you know for sure that you need it... Look at it like an antibiotic save it and your body from its effects until you know that it is your only option. 
Also you may want to look into getting another opinion on this before you do anything....

Big hugs,
Beth 
Dx 5/07 DCIS Stage3 gr9 A/C x 6, Abrax x 16 Bi-Mass 2/08
Navelbine x 12, finished radiation end of July 08. DX Brain Met's 2/09StageIV
CK3/09.Brain resection4/09 WBR
Dreaming of dancing with Ned!
CarynRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarynRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 7:08am

My first recurrence was in my axillary lymph nodes with 8 tiny nodules in my lungs.  They weren't sure those were cancer until they did a biopsy that showed they were BC mets in my lungs.  So, we did taxol/avastin/carboplatin/erbitux. 

Within 3 months, the lung mets were gone.

With TNBC, chemo is the best, strongest tool in the shed.  IMHO, I'd use it.

Caryn
Orig dx 6/03 - St.2a, IDC
gr.3,0 nodes, TNBC/BRCA1+
7/07 St 4 mets to nodes/lungs. PACA/Rads NED 11/07-10/08
Lepto mets 10/08
Rads for 4 brain tumors 4/10.
Leptomets return 6/10
krisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 7:26am
ducky,
you wrote that you have a recurrence..so, based on that I would do the chemo.  in fact, sometimes I think about telling my onc to put me on chemo, just in case there are mets in my body that have not shown up.  amazing how in one year, a person can change their thinking.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic