FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Silicone vs saline implants

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silicone vs saline implants
    Posted: Oct 28 2011 at 10:45pm

FYI: There is also a recent forum topic of Reconstruction on the Welcome New Members forum that
has some info on implants.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donna, Ann, Mrs. Lyons and Barbi,

Thanks so much for your posts with info.
The person I was asking the information for was able to read the posts and said they were most
helpful. You posted so quickly that she had the info in time for her plastic surgeon's appt.
You are the greatest.   Thanks again.

If anyone else has anything to add or thoughts to share about deciding between silicone and
saline implants, it would be appreciated.

Grateful for today............Judy
Barbi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2011 at 10:20am
FYI, I have a friend who had silicone implants YEARS ago after a mastectomy. Hers are both ruptured and are getting a mixed review by her numerous docs on whether that has caused other health issues for her. BUT, the surgeon who is recommending removal of these implants says she could replace them with new silicone implants. AND, she doesn't buy into the removal after 10 years. Would be nice if they all agreed.
10/10,age49,St3,gr3,5+cm,1 node,BRCA-,T+Cisplatin+Rad0001(or placebo),Lump 1+cm,AND 0/15,AC,rads finished 7/6/11.Mets bone, liver,mamm node 8/11,abrax/tigatuzamab failed.Started bicalutamide 11/16/11.
MrsLyons View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsLyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 11:41pm
I went with silicone...and still get that wrinkle look on one breast. But, it's not too bad. Silicone itself is the most studied medical device on the market! It's used in so many devices and has been determined to be safe. I am aware I'll have to replace in 10-15 years and that's ok by me. I'm still getting used to the new ladies, but my hubby likes them! ;)
DX IDC TNBC 11/10 age 32, Stage 3a, Grade 3, 3.5 cm, 1/9 nodes, Right, KI-67 91%, BRCA-1, ACx4 (12/13/10) followed by TXx12, BMX w/expanders (6/1/2011), Rads begin 7/11/11
ann u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ann u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 11:33pm
Judy -

I have silicone implants.  My PS showed me both, said the saline implants sometimes have a "wrinkled" look on the skin.  His example of the silicone implant actually had a "wedge" cut out of it, and you could squeeze it, and the silicone would return to the original state - it was not liquid at all.  I think the weight of the silicone matches a natural breast more.

That said, they'll never be like the real thing - if I have to replace them in 10 or more years, that means I'm still here, alive and kicking!!

Ann
8/06: IDC 1cm, 0/9 lymph nodes, lumpectomy, Mammosite radiation, 4 x A/C
5/07: BRCA1+ (5382insC)
11/09: IDC 3mm, double mastectomy w/reconstruction

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 10:50pm
Judy,

This is just my two cents - when I was deciding between silicone and saline, my plastic surgeon had samples of each.  The silicone seemed more natural in shape and the saline seemed more like a water balloon.  I've heard that the saline may move around more (slosh) than silicone.  If they leak, the saline should be safe.  I was told the new silicone is a cohesive gel so it stays put and shouldn't leak out like the old ones did.  I wasn't told nor did I ask about the life span of the implants.  I assumed it would be forever, but new reports indicate they may need to be replaced every 10 years.  I don't know if this is the same for saline implants too.  I think this information should be explained to the patient when making the decision on reconstruction choices.

So I opted for the silicone implants and pleased with the results.  Now if I have to have them exchanged 10 years down the road, I really don't know if I'll do it or just have them removed.  When the time comes, I may feel differently about surgery.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 10:19pm
Hi,

Would appreciate any info that helped in making a decision about silicone vs saline implants.
Someone asked me. They knew about the info about long-term complications likely with silicone
breast implants (info posted by Donna on 6/22/11 ).
Found that LBBC.org/Learning-from-others/ask-the expert/2011-08-reconstruction included
info on breast implants......so gave her that site.

It would be helpful to hear some pros and cons of each.......silicone and saline.
Realize ..........as with so many things........same info can result in different decisions.

Thanks in advance.

With positive and caring thoughts to all,

Grateful for today..............Judy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic