FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

right implant replaced

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ashlyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashlyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: right implant replaced
    Posted: Jul 10 2012 at 5:12pm
Greetings everyone

I know I'm very late but before yesterday I hadn't logged on in a while.  A lot has happened over the past year. 

Anyway, I've had problems with one of my implants from the word go, when I had immediate reconstruction after my op in Oct 2010.  Surprisingly, it's the prophylactic side that bothers me.  I had the Becker implants 75% saline and 25% silicone put in, then they filled them to increase the size a couple of times then took the tube thing out that sat below my breast line. 

Two surgeons operated on me, one on each side.  The left one is fine, if a bit hard, but doesn't bother me at all, even though I get numbness under my armpits most times due to the auxiliary clearance.  If I flex my right muscle the implant moves about and looks and feels distorted and bubbly.  It also aches almost daily, though the pain is not severe.  Just doing normal things like cleaning my bathroom mirror or stirring a pot is a bother and I find I'm using my left hand more and more.  The surgeons told me that it's because I'm right handed but I do not agree.  And they did an MRI last September and said that there was micro leakage but nothing to be alarmed about.  It feels very soft and the shape is different to the left side and any movement with my right hand shifts it about.

I've sometimes regretted doing preventative surgery because it's worse than the side that was affected.  I've even regretted doing lymph node surgery because it all came back clean and now my immune system will never be the same.  HOWEVER, I'm grateful to be alive and had they not done the mast and lymp. dissect after chemo I would have always had that doubt in my head as to whether chemo really did get all the cancer.  So in that respect I'm glad.

Well I'm now living in Spain and the docs here want me to do another MRI, which is to be scheduled when I'm back from my holiday.  I trust and pray it comes back with good news. 

Sorry for the long ramble.  Sending positive vibes and prayers to all who read this.

Two years survivor and counting!

32y-o, married, one 5y-o girl. Dx 13/5/10. TNBC, stage 2A, sentinel node biopsy 2 nodes+. Neoadjuvant chemo 5 x EC. Bilat mast & axil dissec on left, Oct 10. 0/13 nodes. No evidence of disease.
Momof2NJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Momof2NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2011 at 9:40pm
Congrats on NED!  May NED be in your life forever.

As one who has had six...yes six surgeries due to recon complications, infections, necrosis, etc., I understand how frustrating it is.  As a matter of fact, I am having surgery on Oct 19th to replace my left implant damaged from radiation.

If I had to do it all over again knowing what I know now, I would have skipped recon altogether.  I do love my recon, I will admit,  but I've paid a heavy price  mentally and physically.

Good healing vibes to you!

mary ellen
2008 BRCA 1+ dx stg 1,gr 3 IDC triple neg. BM w/ recon. CT x 4. Prophy TAH 2007. Recurrence 9/13/10. 10/5/10 tumor excised. ACx4, Taxol x3, abraxane x 9. 38 rads. 7/11 NED!!!
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2011 at 5:18pm
Dear D and Keri,

After reading your last two posts, I am glad I had my left breast lopped off and then no more surgery. One of my regrets is that I didn't have both removed initially. You know girls, when you describe what you've been through and the imperfection you still have; I'll bet my scar doesn't look all that bad. "well maybe I'm stretching it, but I'm glad I didn't have reconstruction."

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2011 at 2:15pm
Does the pain-in-the-assedness of these procedures with their complications and recoveries ever make you wish you just lopped 'em off and were left with two neat scars, one on each side?   If my husband were a different sort of person (one who didn't care one way or another), this might be my do-over.   Though I do like looking semi-normal in clothes, I must admit. (even if I look far from, without).  Anyways, just thinkin'....

d
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
abcmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2011 at 9:17pm
Hi Lisa-

NED!  Wonderful!  I am sorry you had to undergo more surgery.  When I had my reconstruction it was immediate at the time of dmx.  I had the diep flap.  In otherwords my stomach became my chest.  But....a few mistakes from the hospital and I ended up with lots of dead tissue around my "new breasts"  Ended up with a skin graft.  But the dead tissue was so extensive my breasts looked like I had been attacked by a shark.  The skin graft just covered up the raw tissue.  Then I had to have 3 more surgeries.  Two the surgeon took skin, etc from the inside of my thighs.  I am a very small person so this was difficult.  I ended up with several infections and now I have scars on my stomach, chest, outside of my right thigh and the inside of both of my thighs.  BUT  I am ALIVE.  Just don't look so pretty.  LOL!!  Anyway, I guess what I am trying to say is I wish I would have done implants!

Sorry to go on an on.
Keri
Diag 11/06/09 @ 40; Diag w/ TNBC Stage IIA, Grade 3 12/01/09 Node Neg. Dble MX with Recon 12/09 (twice)
Chemo 1/13/10 Chemo done 4/22/10 More recon surg 07/10, PET/CT Scan clear 07/10 NED 07/11
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2011 at 4:03pm
Hi Lisa,

NED is a wonderful place to be. Congratulations. I'm sorry you had to undergo more surgery. Please be good to yourself and give yourself time to heal before becoming too active.

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
lisaorock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisaorock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2011 at 8:26am
Hi Everyone,
I have not posted in a while but i have been keeping my eye on the boards once in a while.  I have been NED since June!!! But my reconstruction hit a bump in the road.  My right implant slipped down so I had to have it replaced yesterday.  I had day surgery.  It looks pretty good but it's hard to tell because it's so swollen.  This procedure sets me back 6 weeks before i can plan for the nipple grafting and tattoo process.  I can't do any lifting or heavy exercising for 6 weeks.  I was just getting back to my regular exercise routine.  I know how lucky I am to be NED so please believe me I am not complaining....just venting a bit. I hope you all don't mind.  Has anyone had this experience?  BTW I am on some great pain pills and feeling good:)  Thanks for listening!

Take Care,
Lisa
dx 10/5/10 IDC,lumpectomy 10/19/10,right masectomy 11/4/10,triple negative,BRACCA2+,4ACDD,4,age TaxolDD,age 45,left mx,recon,ovaries and uterus removed 4/21,then possible rads
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic