FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where Is Breast Cancer More Common ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where Is Breast Cancer More Common ?
    Posted: Jul 07 2007 at 2:11pm
Before I was even diagnosed -  I remember reading that breast cancer was more common in either the Northern or the Southern States.   I can't remember which hemisphere though.

Where has everyone lived for  Most of their lives ?? -  Europe,  the UK, and everywhere else in the world ??    Northern or Southern States ??

What country or what State ??

I've lived most of my life in the North  ( New York and Canada ) 

Maybe we can pinpoint something about breast cancer and where we have spent most of our lives!   

Let's give it a try and thanks for answering !

I have: "Glycogen Rich Clear Cell Carcinoma of the Breast." Does Anyone else have this Rare form of breast cancer ???
Joan2844 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joan2844 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2007 at 2:14pm
I lived in southern Indiana for 21 years; have been in mid-Michigan for almost 20 years. We briefly lived overseas in Brussels (4 years). 
9/06 Stage2B. Pos Nodes; Neg BRAC; TAC/Lumpectomy/Rads/Xeloda.
4/08 Local Recurrence; Mast w/ Latissimus Flap;Taxol/Gemzar/Carbo. Zometa.

NED since May 2008 :-)
www.wow-matt14.blogspot.com
Nuzzysnana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuzzysnana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2007 at 2:17pm
I live in the Northwest and have read where breast cancer is most common in this part of the country. Why - who knows? I was not born in this area and am a BRCA2 carrier which sealed my fate at conception. So it does not matter where I lived.
Lisa L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2007 at 3:16pm
Hi, recognize you from the Komen boards.  I have lived in Central Illinois my whole life.  It does make me wonder, being brca negative, what caused the cancer.  I was on the pill for 20 years before dx, therefore I was suprised to learn I was triple negative.
Dx 8/05 age 43
mast & lat flap 10/05
Triple neg
BRCA neg
IDC 4.5cm rt br
0/1 sen node
6 A/C 5 Taxol, 25 rads 11/05-6/06
Central Illinois
Currently NED
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2007 at 4:18am
Well I'm another one who grew up in Indiana but have lived in Oklahoma for almost 20 yrs.  I'm positive for brca 1 so reckon my fate was sealed also.
I'm noticing some postings from gals from Indiana, Ohio, Illinois.  Someone had brought up an interesting point to me to consider who also is from Indiana and that is all of the spraying they used to do on the fields also using DDT.  Now this would not apply to the younger generation since they have stopped the use of DDT but for those who grew up during this time makes me wonder?
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
jazhuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazhuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2007 at 5:12am

Hello,

I was born and raised in Southeast Michigan, though I lived in California for several years, I am back here now.

♥Julie
46 YO
Michigan
diagnosed 6-1-07
lumpectomy 6-11-07
IDC 3.9cm tumor right breast
T2, grade 3
no node involvement (12 nodes removed)
triple negative
carepage: juliesprogress
MarilyninMiami View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarilyninMiami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2007 at 7:00am
Another Indiana gal here! I was born and raised in Lafayette, In. I do remember riding our bikes while they sprayed DDT...covered the cars, we probably got heavy doses but no one worried about anything then (they knew very little...)
Moved to Fl in 1962.  I think the SISTERS PROJECT will reveal some of these concerns regarding environment and heredity.  After all, our sisters ate the same food we did as kids, share our genes, shared our environment.
Marilyn
MARILYN from Miami
dx:6-05, trip neg, basoloid, gr 3, stage IIB, lumpectomy,SNB w total axillary node surg 3pos/34 dose dense ACT, 33 rads, BMB (neutropenia) NED!!
CalGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2007 at 1:57pm
As you probably guess from my name (CalGal), I live in CA ... and have all of my life.

Born in Northern Cal

The house where I grew up was in a brand new subdivision back in the mid-1960s ... prior to that, it was agricultural ... and I figure that they used tons of pesticides and chemicals in the 50s & 60s.   When my mom got bc in her mid 40s in 1987 (grew up in San Francisco), it was shocking how many other women in the n'hood had also gotten bc in their 40s ... which at that time, was very young to be dx'd with bc!

There was also a phone line that ran above a fence along our backyard that also contained a line with pcb's that was very close to my parent's bedroom ...

I've also read that they're looking into the possibility that exposure to ultra-violet light in young girls might contribute to bc ... (and I had several exposures to that for skin problems).

I'm BRCA1, which while it's almost inevitable that I'd get bc (over a lifetime as well as a much higher rate of pre-menopausal bc), it means that I had one normal gene and one that started mutated ... but something caused the normal one to mutate also!

Since my mid-20s, I've lived in So Cal.

I've been physically active my entire life, was never overweight (until now, post-chemo I've got 20 extra lbs) and avoided fast food and unhealthy food ...  so those things didn't apply to me getting bc.

I was also on bcps many years ... Unfortunately, the bc has prevented me from having kids ... my first pregnancy ended in a miscarriage two weeks before my recurr bc and mets were discovered ....  but having kids early didn't help my mom or maternal grandma. 

I don't have any sisters, but if I did, I would participate in the Sister's Project ...

CalGal
BRCA1
9/04 Bi-lat lump, clear SNB
38x Rad'tn
12/05 Recurr bc & mets to liver
06 the year of chemo
NED for 13 mos until 7/07
Lung met. PARP trial until ...
2/08 Liver mets again
lucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2007 at 8:17pm
Hi,

Pesticides, where we lived most of our lives, coal burning stacks,  pcbs,  all seem to be something we all have been exposed to on here.
I read of a case where young kids used to play in some streams of water where the Kodak film plant was located.  The kids liked playing there because the water was rainbow colored.   Those kids grew up to be adults who all developed cancer.    Yeah,  you guessed it -  the Kodak plant was dumping their toxic waste into the fields, streams and lakes.
They finally shut down that operation,  but I can't help but wonder where else this dumping of toxic wastes  is still going on. 
Kind of like  Erin Brokovich's story.

It's also important to be aware that  cables from your computers contain lead and other toxic material.  I first noticed that when a technician came to update my modem and some programs.  He opened a box of Ethernet and it said  "warning"   cables contain toxic lead.  Make sure you throughly wash your hands after handling any kind of electronic cable wires. May cause cancer and infertility."

So everyone,   Please avoid handling the tons of cables that are part of your computer system or TV
If you must -  wear disposable gloves,  and / or
throughly wash your hands afterwards.

I have: "Glycogen Rich Clear Cell Carcinoma of the Breast." Does Anyone else have this Rare form of breast cancer ???
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic