FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bone Mets Symptoms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cherseybear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherseybear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bone Mets Symptoms
    Posted: Feb 22 2010 at 8:40pm
Hi Everyone,

For those of you who have been diagnosed with bone mets, and I'm very sorry you have, can you describe your  symptoms prior to diagnosis.

I can sense that some of you had no symptoms and that your mets were found on different scans, etc. but I'm wondering if some of you had pain first that led you to look further.  If you had pain was it constant or intermittant?  I'm curious, cause I'm having some pain, feels like ribs, on my surgery side.  Just feel like I'm falling apart before my very eyes.

Any insight would be really appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

Cheryl xo
Dx. 03/07/08 - Masectomy & node dissection 22/07/08. IDC, 8/14 positive nodes, Grade 3/Stage 3C. Tx - 4DD AC then 4DD Taxol. Avastin - Beatrice Study. 30 Rads. Liver Mets - November '09.
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2010 at 11:26pm
Hi, Cheryl.  I haven't been diagnosed with bone mets, but I just wanted to give you a warm hug over the wire.     Though I do have pains that come and go, which I have not investigated (my attitude has been that a pain or lump or whatever has to stick around for a while before I try to track it down).  Given that I am totally paranoid now, without a stage IV diagnosis, I can only imagine how paranoid I'd be with confirmed mets.  I'd probably drive myself totally insane with every twinge.  If that's what you're doing, well, you have my sympathy.    I think it was Anne Lamott who said that her mind is a dangerous neighborhood - she'd rather not visit there alone.     This probably isn't helpful at all, but...well....you have my love.
-Denise
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
alexzack View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2010 at 1:11am
I was diagnosed with bone mets in December.  i had fallen on a cruise with my girlfriends in Oct., (not from drinking!! lol)  and i was sore, when I got home a couple days later i layed down on my side on my bed and it sounded and felt like my back broke.  I went to a bone doc and he said i had broken a couple ribs. They thought it was from the fall so no one really thought anything. They did heal in about 6 weeks but after that I had another incident that should not have done anything at all and it felt like the ribs on my other side crunched.  I knew then I had to have cancer in my bones. Had bone scan and sure enough, it was in my spine, femur, shoulder, rib, hip, and sacrum. I do have a little bone pain but not that much.  Never a constant pain. It seems though after the diagnosis i notice a lot more pains. I guess you are just always trying to keep on top of things.  
diag. 6/06, Stage 1, Mastectomy, Chemo. Loc. Rec. 2/08 and 12/08, Mets to Bones, Liver, Mediastinal, Lungs and Pleural Effusion to Left Lung 12/09. BRCA1 pos.
suec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2010 at 9:34pm
I had no pain but mets to bone were found in 6 mo regularly scheduled cat with contrast; led to bone scane; led to biopsy to confirm tn had not switched to er+ and/or was not lung cancer related due to previous lung cancer history.  Spots mostly in one hip.  Since I have had slightly more pain in hip/leg area but major organs remain ca free.  I'm hoping the zometa will keep bones strong and chemos slow progression.  The pain I have now is controlled with tylenol and is intermittent.
tnbc 3b: partial mas 5/06; 6 rounds FEC; 36 rad; 05/09-mets to bone; xeloda, avastin, zometa; gemzar & avastin; rads to hips; 8 mo on methotrexate+5fu; 5/11 mets to liver/lung; halevan fails;carb&Abrx
vickid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vickid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 4:21pm
Cheryl,

It's scarry isn't it! I have, for about 6 months, had pain in my leg, not in a joint but in the middle of the shin bone-I have had a bone scan, a ct and a pet scan and nothing has been found-so maybe this is what's happening to you....hope it's just discomfort...I am, of course worried because the pain is still there and I have my first "3 monther" with the onc tomorrow...hope I hear the same thing heard prevoiusly...
We are so atuned to our conditions-and usually  think the worst-I think we are just realistic because we are the "somebody elses" it's happening to-
I am thinking and praying for you!

Vicki
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 4:48pm
Vicki, shin is not where the pain would start.  I've read that bone mets, if they come to visit, prefer the biggest bones, like hip, sacrum, and femur, along with the spine and ribs.   Eventually they might explore the shins, but not until most of the 'biggies' are already colonized.  Shin pain is more likely to be shin splints.  Have you been running or dancing?
-Denise
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
vickid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vickid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 7:30pm
Denise,

I wish that I did more running or dancing!! I have been quite docile...but I am one of the weird ones where things happen and there is no real reason...I went to the physical therapist for lymphadema ( I had 26 lymph nodes removed). The therapist measured both of my arms and concluded that, for the first time in his 16 years, he couldn't tell because one arm was larger in some areas, the other was larger in other areas. 

I thank you for your information...I confess that I am not as knowledgeable about my cancers as are so many on this site-I learn so much here! I am triple negative/ inflammatory. I guess we all learn what we can handle.

Blessings to you and those who you love-
Vicki
SusanE1104 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusanE1104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 9:04pm
Cheryl,
I don't have bone mets, and I have had intermittant pain that feels like my ribs ever since my bilateral mastectomy in Jan. 09.  I don't think I've ever mentioned it to my doctor because it never lasts long.  My surgeon went deep especially on the left side where my cancer was, so I have very little tissue left over the ribs.  I've thought that might be the problem.  I think we tend to think every ache or pain is cancer, but it never hurts to mention it to your doctor.

SusanSmile
Susan 62 1987 Stage 1   1/09 Stage IV bilat. mast. liver mets BRCA1+ Taxol & Avastin
8/09 NED
12/09 liver mets Taxol/Avastin
4/10 liver mets
11/22 Parp Car/gem
parp failed
2/2011 Ixempra
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic