FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The do's and dont's for chemo and rads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The do's and dont's for chemo and rads
    Posted: Aug 15 2008 at 2:30pm
Ladies,

Let's start another resource for the TNBC site. I just know that Hayley will see to it that it is put on the resource section.

It seems as though there are so many new gals on the site asking what to do and what not to do for chemo and rads. In no way do I want to take away from the personal feeling of actually talking to each other.

If there was a list of things that you found helpful to make this unpleasant "journey"  a wee bit more kind for your dear bodies, you would still be helping each and every gal on this site. That way a new gal could go directly to the resource section and print it out for future reference. Sometimes it is so difficult  to find the posts where somone has given suggestions.

The personal connection will always be there, because this is the site for caring. Heart

If you want to contribute to the "list", just pm me and I will give you my email address. It is easier for me if I get it in an email. I will type it.

Nancy

Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2008 at 10:18am
Ladies,

Just even one suggestion from each of you, and the "LIST" will grow. PleaseThumbs%20Up
Nancy
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2008 at 2:37pm
Pink%20RibbonCome on you guys, we have over 1,000 members, surely all of us can come up with one tip??  Let's all chip in and help Nancy take on this challenge to help Breast Cancer patients.

love ya all,
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2008 at 5:30pm
Ladies,

I have received many tips from Pam for the list. I have already typed them and all you have to do is pm me with your "TIP". There have to be so many that would help a new gal get through the chemo and rads so much easier.  I have even put them in chronological order.

I know that when Lori was starting chemo and rads, I was on here posting almost every day as to suggestions from all of you. I have incorporated them also. A compiled list would make life so much easier for the new gals. They would just pull the list from here rather than having to go to the internet and search.

It's those tried and true ones that worked for you. Like sleeping in a recliner. Made Lori's life so much more bearable in those 4-5 days after chemo.

Thanks,
Nancy

Edited by Nancy - Aug 17 2008 at 5:32pm
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 8:41am
bump
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
sibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 2:50pm
Ok, Nancy, I don't know how many of my suggestions are fit for posting, but I sent you a PM.   Hugs, Donna

Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 3:22pm
Donna,

Every one of them girlfriend!!! Ladies, now don't hold back. Something special that made you feel a wee bit better, or something you remember that made you feel really crappy, and you don't want another gal to experience.
Nancy
ReneeST View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReneeST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 6:45pm
This so great of you all!  My surgery is this Wednesday and I will start chemo in Sept.  I will definitely add to your list once I get to that part of the journey.

Cry
56 yo Seattle, WA Stage 1, Grade 3, 1.3 cm IDC Lumpectomy Aug 2008
SNB neg;4 rds Taxotere & Cytox. BRCA-2 Variant. 16 Rads Jan 2009 "Canadian Study"
www.reneesbumpintheroad.blogspot.com
cduvall1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cduvall1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2008 at 2:54am
Sorry, being not too savay about emailing, I don't know how to "pm".  Here's my suggestion:  prepare for constipation by taking prescribed medications in a timely fashion!
Beth Anne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2008 at 8:48am
Chemo

Do's: Do drink a lot of water(Smart water is great), Do go out for a good meal after treatment (it can be the last good meal for a few days) Do Take all of the drugs they give you for nausa on time... Do sleep as much as possible... As I always said it is like sleeping off a hang-overLOL

Don'ts... Do not lay in the sun, do not try to go to the mall or shop for food...

Radiation do's : Take a break if you skin needs it no matter what the doc's might tell you, Do have them give you script for BIAFINE--- Sad story here is that most insurance companys won't cover it so it will cost you between $39.00- $65.00. Although I just bought some in a drug store in Paris France and it was only 6 euro's about $9.00 God only knows why the drug companies need to have a say on an item that is avaible over the counter in Europe and is RX only in the US... Got to love America....
Don'ts---
Oh yeah.. Stay out of the sun... Don't count on beach umbrella's to protect youCry (didn't work so well for me)

I will let you know if I come up with more....

Hugs,
Beth Anne
Dx 5/07 DCIS Stage3 gr9 A/C x 6, Abrax x 16 Bi-Mass 2/08
Navelbine x 12, finished radiation end of July 08. DX Brain Met's 2/09StageIV
CK3/09.Brain resection4/09 WBR
Dreaming of dancing with Ned!
Marly View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2008 at 8:52am
Nancy,

I just pm'd you with my list, but forgot to mention what Beth Anne noted, get LOTS of SLEEP.

Marly
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2008 at 3:59pm
ReneeSt,

As soon as I have them all typed, I will get them to you since you are starting chemo in September. Thank you .........cduvall1, Beth Anne, and Marly. I got all of them and will add then tonight. The list is getting long, and it is from the experiences (good and bad), of the gals on this site, which make them so much more personal.

Any more.....bring em' on!!!!

I knew you gals would come through!!!!!!Clap 
Hugs,
Nancy
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2008 at 11:45am
Ladies,

I have a very lengthy and informative list already typed. I remember some of you gals mentioning something about men's t-shirts for rads. You tore them in pieces? Could someboby help me with this one.

Also, if you have any more rad tips, that would be appreciated. I have 6 pages for chemo and only 1 for rads.
Thanks,
Nancy
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2008 at 2:19pm

It wasn't me Nancy but I do know women have said that men's shirts are nice, big and loose so don't touch the tender areas.  Hope you get your answer, I'd like to know too.

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
QH RDR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QH RDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2008 at 4:35am
Nancy, I would really appreciate your list now, even if it is only still a work in progress.  I am starting chemo this coming Friday, and terrified is not even close to what I am feeling.  I cry just thinking about the nurse putting that crap in my veins.  In fact I had a lengthy discussion with my husband yesterday about not having chemo and just taking my chances!

You have my email address already or could you pm me with the list, thanks so much!
Dx 6/30/08, IDC, node positive, skin-sparing mastectomy 7/21/08, A/C (4 cycles) started 8/29/08
cg--- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cg--- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2008 at 4:51am

Dear QH RDR,

I joined July 20, 2007 and I want you to know I was as terrified as you to do the chemo. I had my first Adriamycin on Friday, July 13, 2007 (imagine how that spooked me out!). But, I found this site and my treatments, side-effects, fears were all made better by sharing and accepting advice and help from the women who had done their chemo before me.

The very first thing I decided was that instead of thinking of the Adriamycin as the "red devil"....I told the chemo nurses that the chemo was "liquid gold" coursing through my body getting rid of the cancer cells.

Try to imagine the chemos as allies in the war we are waging against triple negative breast cancer.

Connie

cg--- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cg--- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2008 at 4:56am
Dear Nancy,

I wore pure cotton (laundered many times) white men's undershirts inside out so the soft, white cotton was touching my skin (I even ironed them to sterilize them) and no seams ever rubbed the sensitive area above my shoulders and neck region or my underarms because there were no rough edges.

Connie
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2008 at 6:09am

Sandy, of course you are terrified, do you have someone going with you to your treatment?  Things will settle down once you understand how it works and get into a bit of a routine.  The unknown of what is going to happen is the worst part.  Please write us next week-end if you feel like it and let us know how you are doing.

We are all here for you so remember that while you are getting your drip.Smile

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2008 at 11:00am
Ladies,

Someone please tell me which chemo affects the nails. When do the become brittle, fall off etc.? Lori had a bit of a problem, but not as bad as some of you gals. Let me know so that I can add this.

Was it you CalGal who used the hypothermia products during chemo? Please refresh my memory so that I can add that also  

Thanks,
Nancy
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2008 at 11:25am
Nancy,

I had bad nails beginning during my treatments of ACT in 03, thin, some even fall off, brittle, stained looking, some black marks which have never left and last year I had the same problem which started while I was on Taxotere.  Those meds can also cause some of your toenails to become thicker.  I don't know if this stuff ever goes away?
Any long time survivor have an answer?
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic