FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TNBC - over 55

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
stardog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2011 at 11:09am
I was diagnosed in Sep 11 at the young age of 61.  I too have read that it mostly affects younger women, maybe our bodies think we are younger than we really are!Embarrassed
Carol (Tenn) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2011 at 11:19am
StarDog,

I was 66 when diagnosed....I like that thought!

Welcome to TNBC forum. I'm not happy with the circumstances but I am happy you found us. You won't find a group of more loving, encouraging, knowledgeable people anywhere. We know what you are going through...we know what will go through..and we are here to help any way we can.

I'd also like to invite you to join us in the Spiritual Support thread if that is something you might be interested in. There you will also find caring, loving and supportive Christian prayer warriors.

Again, Welcome!
Love and Prayers,
Carol
St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
*Nancy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2012 at 12:10pm
I was diagnosed right after I turned 54 and I am having my 56th birthday next month. When I started researching TNBC, I was very surprised that I did not match any of the usual risk factors for this disease. (At first it made me question if I was diagnosed correctly.) It just goes to show that there are no "rules" for anything. We are the ones who skew the statistics.
Dx March 2010, age 54, 5 mm tumor, Stage Ia, Grade 3, 0/3 Nodes, Ki-67 70%,

Lumpectomy April 2010, TC x 4, Rads x 33, Treatment completed Sept 2010, NED 06/17
Lee21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2012 at 12:18pm
Me too. I didn't fit the stats either.
12/9/11 @59,IDC,grade3, TNBC,3cm(MRI),SLNB0,stage IIA, BRCA1 variant
1/30/12 DD AC-T, 6/7/12 Lumpectomy, ypT1b(0.8 cm), 7/9/12 Rads x 30
11/9/12, clinical trial cisplatin/rucaparib, cisplatin-only arm
Carol (Tenn) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2012 at 2:56pm
Me three
St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2012 at 3:02pm
me either - post menopause - maybe that's why there are subsets of TN

Lump found 11/08
DX: 2/09 @52 TNBC
L. Mast. 3/26/09, SN-, BRCA-,
4.5 cm (post surgical)T2NOMO
Chemo: 4/09-10/09 Taxol x 12,
A/C x 4, No rad.No recon. NED 1/17. New Primary right breast TN, 2/2018.
Charlene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2012 at 4:39pm
Nor did I.  But, I am thankful to have been as old as I was (and am).  It breaks my heart every time I read about a young woman being a victim of this disease.  I think it's so unfair.
Charlene
DX 3/10 @59 ILC/TNBC
Stage 1, Grade 2, Multifocal; Lumpectomy/re-excision
SNB 0/4 nodes, BRCA-; Taxotere/Cytoxan X4, 30 rads
3/14:NED
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2012 at 5:22pm
I don't fit the mold either. And also my heart breaks for the young women and mother's who are diagnosed. Also, the mothers with teenage and college age children. It is so unfair.

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
*Nancy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2012 at 5:35pm
I had 3 (of my 6) children at home when I was diagnosed: a freshman (son), sophomore (son) and junior (daughter) in high school. It was hard on them to watch me go through it all. Just recently, one of my sons has started to have panic attacks, yet no one else in the family has ever gone through anything like that before. We're wondering if it's a delayed reaction, in part, to what he saw me go through. Or maybe it's just that he's a teenager? We're taking him to counseling, so I hope we can find some relief for him.
Dx March 2010, age 54, 5 mm tumor, Stage Ia, Grade 3, 0/3 Nodes, Ki-67 70%,

Lumpectomy April 2010, TC x 4, Rads x 33, Treatment completed Sept 2010, NED 06/17
BamaRachel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BamaRachel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2012 at 9:58pm
I, too, am an "oldie."  Diagnosed last year at age 58. 
DX 7/5/11, TN Invas; Lump w/clear marg., 7/21/11; Stage 2A. Grade 3, 2.6 c; 0/6 nodes; TX 8/22/11 4DD E/C; 4Taxotere; Chemo ended 1/3/12; 33 Radiation Treatments, ended 3/15/12.
Genie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2012 at 10:27am
Count me as an "oldie" also. Diagnosed in 2008 at age 67. Will celebrate 4 years NED this year!
DX 3/10/08 at age 67, IDC. Stage 1, Grade 3, 1.5 cm.
KI-67 99% at MX . Bilateral mastectomy 4/1/08 Node-, BRCA 1/2-,BARD1+, TX:Cytoxan/Taxotere x4,3 in family with TNBC
TNBC_in_NS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2012 at 10:01pm
Me too! I was 56 almost 57 when diagnosed the first time in 2009, then again in June 2011 at (60)six months after returning to work. No chemo or rads second time around. Just BMX. Back to work Nov 2011 but only three days a week.
Diag@57TNBC04/092.5cm Lquad 05/09 TCx4Radsx30CT03/01/10 FU03/31/10ClearBRCA- 01/2011 RTNBC BMX 06/14/2011~2013 clear
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2012 at 3:24pm
I was dx at ages 56 and 60, now working on 5 years for a second time.
HappyGoLucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HappyGoLucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2012 at 4:20pm
Hey Ms Pam  trip2

You helped me so much in April 2009 and all the years thereafter, and I won't ever forget all the times we told you to take a break and step away from the keyboard..you are always in my thoughts and prayers. Love youHeart

Karen
2/2009 7cm tumor, sent nod. pos. Lumpectomy 3/19/09,a/c dose dense+avastin clinical trial, taxol avastin stopped with pneumonia. 33 Rads 01/2010 ~ reccur 2011 supraclav.and internal mammary nodes. rad
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2012 at 4:56pm
Dear Pam,

So nice to see you posting...You have been deeply missed. 

I have confidence that if you re-enter the posting part of your life, you will do so carefully and with respect for your mind/body.

As you can see, re-entry is seamless and it will always be for you because you are deeply loved. Sure, many new names but the same dynamic on the board still exists. A respectful resource where women and men can come for support, and to learn, and we have tried to add some difficult topics, as separate forums, that many may not wish to read about on the main forums such as Palliative Care as in Supportive Care Services and also, Hospice. Unfortunately, as you can see, if you chose to read the Tributes section we have had to suffer awful losses in the last months. As our membership increases, it stands to reason that there will be more to come and I want you to be prepared for that. Please make sure you are aware before you jump back in. I know you have seen a lot and dealt with a lot over the years, Pam, and again I trust your instincts but please think about what forums you are able to assimilate if you decide to actively come back. 

The site has become more active and the pace of threads is faster. I have asked about whether it is possible to get a larger number of threads on the first page because I find it hard to keep up. That seems to be a major, complicated, project not possible, I am told, now, unfortunately.

Please pace yourself and know, in advance, that whatever contributions you make will be important, and valued, as they always have been. 

You are deeply loved by our TNBC family and always shall be.

And please, if you decide you need a break, at any time, just take it. No explanations are needed. 

As far as I am concerned this site would not have developed in the beautiful way it has without all of your hard work and nurturing. You have done a magnificent job for all of us and your spirit is still what we emulate. Pam, I deeply, deeply admire you.

Thank you for being you and I hope you can post without it being too stressful.

with my love and prayers and ++++++ vibrations for a good, non-eventful, recovery,

Steve

Edited by steve - Apr 02 2012 at 4:57pm
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
HappyGoLucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HappyGoLucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2012 at 5:20pm
Love you much Steve!

Karen
2/2009 7cm tumor, sent nod. pos. Lumpectomy 3/19/09,a/c dose dense+avastin clinical trial, taxol avastin stopped with pneumonia. 33 Rads 01/2010 ~ reccur 2011 supraclav.and internal mammary nodes. rad
Skclayton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skclayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2012 at 7:33pm
Did you all know that the new medical rules---as of jan 1, 2012--- does not allow payment for the genetic testing if you were diagnosed on or after your 60th birthday?.   Even if you are triple neg and met all the medical criteria.  And they blocked all fed based insurances from paying for it under any circumstances.  I know.  I have BCBS and Tricare.  I was just advised that both turned the testing down for the above reasons.  I was diagnosed 5 months past my 60th birthday.  
Skclayton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skclayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2012 at 7:42pm
I was diagnosed last year at 60---only 4 months after I retired.  Just had 2nd reconstruction surgery today.  Did not fit any of the criteria.  Active horsewoman who does not drink, smoke, and no family history of any type of cancer.  My father still swears they mis-diagnosed me.  Ha.  Caught with mammogram at stage 1.  I truly feel mine was brought on by severe stress ( worked last two years with the boss from your nightmares).
Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2012 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Skclayton Skclayton wrote:

Did you all know that the new medical rules---as of jan 1, 2012--- does not allow payment for the genetic testing if you were diagnosed on or after your 60th birthday?.   Even if you are triple neg and met all the medical criteria.  And they blocked all fed based insurances from paying for it under any circumstances.  I know.  I have BCBS and Tricare.  I was just advised that both turned the testing down for the above reasons.  I was diagnosed 5 months past my 60th birthday.  

For BRCA testing after January 1, 2012:

See also:
   http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/very-important-news-re-tnbc-brca-testing_topic8458.html

Grateful for today..........Judy

Edited by Grateful for today - Apr 22 2012 at 12:39am
mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2012 at 10:40am
memeb-

Love your name!  My grandkids call me meme.  Sounds a bit narcissistic doesn't it?  ha!  Maybe should have changed the spelling..

Anyway, you can add me to the 'over 50 gang'.  I was a few months into 56 (going on 21) when I was diagnosed and post menopausal for 5 years.

My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 38 (or maybe 39. My calculations are poor-memory based).  There's strong evidence the BRCA gene mutation was inherited from Mom's side since my maternal grandfather was of Ashkenazi descent- although Mom was the only family history of breast cancer to my knowledge and no known history of ovarian cancer.  Mom's sister, my aunt recently tested negative.  My dear mother survived breast cancer just shy of 30 years. Back then she was given a radical mastectomy and harsh radiation.   Due to her young age I imagine she too was Triple Negative.  She took no "after drug." She later developed AML and died at age 67- still much too young as far as I'm concerned.

One of the most disturbing aspects of this disease is the number of very young women diagnosed daily with TN.

Welcome to the old folks home!  LOL  Wink

Edited by mindy555 - Apr 05 2012 at 11:25am
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Grew to Stage IIa- No ev of node involve- BRCA1+ chondroid metaplasia
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic