FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tnbc diet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marymom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tnbc diet
    Posted: Feb 20 2020 at 7:38pm
So, I have heard a plant based diet is best for us.  Does anyone have suggestions On what they have researched or what they do for what foods are best for us.  A lot of confusing information out there...so, I thought I would bring it to this forum.  
Suebhs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suebhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2020 at 10:15am
I've been curious about diet as well. Met with the registered dietician at my oncology office and her recommendation was also a plant based, low fat diet. My oncologist referenced a Mediterranean type diet. They had no specific recommendations as far as eliminating any particular foods that have been linked to TNBC. Just mainly common sense advice like eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, legumes, some whole grains, fish, chicken, exercise regularly, maintain a healthy weight. Also there's a study that links regular green tea consumption and exercise with a reduced risk of reccurrence of tnbc.                                                                                                   https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4586952/

Edited by Suebhs - Feb 21 2020 at 10:30am
Suebhs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suebhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2020 at 10:50am
Here's another interesting study looking at the association between BMI, exercise, diet and other factors in relation to TNBC.
Plume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2020 at 4:06pm
Many thanks for the links, Suebhs.  Both are very interesting and I could relate my own circumstances to some parts of the studies.
dgatti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 4:05pm
I've been plant based for 16 years and was diagnosed with TNBC in Nov 2020.  I'm sticking the the plant based diet but I'm finding most things are not tasting that great with the AC chemo regime (besides carrots and oranges :) ).  I hope this changes after my 4 rounds are over....
COZAZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COZAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2021 at 11:49pm
Regarding plant based which i'm trying to incorporate more into my diet, (my Onco recommends mediterranean diet with some tweaks, (less olive oil i presume) .  Im having a hard time finding protein sources ( i tend to get hypoglycemic episodes if not enough protein.)  I probably eat way more eggs than i should, beans, tofu, fish and refuse to eat the beyond beef stuff.  any ideas on cook books (less ingredients the better for me) i would greatly appreciate it!

I am the Storm!
Plume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2021 at 4:53pm
Cozaz, do you eat nuts and seeds?  I sprinkle nuts of all types, flaked almonds, walnuts, cashews, peanuts on many foods, eg salads, veg stir fries, breakfast cereals, etc.  Also peanut butter on toast for breakfast.

As for seeds, I use sunflower, sesame, lin.

All nuts and seeds taste better with light roasting.
MAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2021 at 1:48am
I have a problem if I don’t get enough protein also.  I buy the salt free mixed nuts at Costco.  I’ve been eating them for a long time, way before I was diagnosed with TNBC.  
Jbtnbc54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbtnbc54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 12:52am
Hi, I'm new, but I wanted to join the discussion.  I'm not sure how to post the newbie info.   I follow the mediterrean plan of eating.  No red meat, lots of fresh fruit (berries esp) and veggies, low salt, low fat.  I recently added in chlorophyll/chororella and drinking alkaline water in addition a litany of supplemental  vitamins.  I follow probably a 2 meal vegetarian/1 meal animal protein daily.  

A bit about me. I am early 50s, obese (and im working on that),  diagnosed in 12/2020 w/ stage 4 metastatic invasive lymphatic and vascular bc, E/P +, HERnegative.   We tried a treatment of twice daily Verzenio and Astrolozale for bc and nothing stopped it. I have not had surgery bc my oncologist doesnt want to do that. I was supposed to go on clinical trial after my summer vaca. That's not going to happen now.

The day before yesterday (06/03/2021) my oncologist called to tell me that my bc had mutated into triple negative bc.  

I think I'm still somewhere between denial and Wtf, how does cancer mutate into a whole different type of bc?

How the h*'ll does that change get missed? I think I'm pretty angry too. I'm wondering if using any of the previous treatments hurt my chances of living better, since the tumors grew while on Verzenio and Astrozole. 

I'm scheduled for radiation therapy soon to treat the lymph nodes/cancer on my neck which seemed to explode the Monday after Mothers Day.  

So I'm looking for suggestions of treatments as it takes my HMO forever to approve treatment. 

Thank you for this forum!

MAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 1:39am
I am in Southern California also. I’m in Indio. Where are you?  I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer after being told I did not have that type.  Seems the pathologist found a tumor behind the one that I had a lumpectomy for.  Where are you going for treatments?  
COZAZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COZAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2021 at 12:05am
Late in responding...sorry.. i do incorporate nuts/seed, my issue is i won't stop eating them if i start...LOL    I did find my onco does not want me eating red meat often.  i have been focusing on chicken, fish, veggies, grains and fruit..I only drink alkaline water now. i can't break away from cheese.   I have lost 20 lbs which is key, but exercise evades me... by choice, by time... I need to get past that.  Have lympedema in chest wall and breast but saw amazing holistic based therapist.  Next check up is end of October, yet i face the fear every night when my mind isn't thinking about work, home, family, etc. .. Therapist gave me a few phrases to work on...."  I am healthy today"   I have support"  I am loved.  
I am the Storm!
pawwjw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pawwjw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2021 at 3:00pm
I too am interested in changing my diet to help decrease reoccurrence. I eliminated my breakfast of cereal and toast to cut down on carbohydrates. I now alter between yogurt parfaits (3/4 cup of plain greek yogurt @ 90 calories with berries, honey, and Honey Bunches of oats on top) and omelette muffins made with eggs, yogurt, broccoli, ham, and cheese. For lunch, I do salads with veggies, eggs, and almonds. Supper I do meat, fish, or poultry (decreasing red meat), potatoes, rice, or noodles (working on healthier versions), and always veggies. I don't snack much but if I do it's an orange or nuts. I will allow myself a treat of chocolate or cookies occasionally.
The workshop I listened to today stressed alcohol should be extremely minimal. Sigh...
Any suggestions would be helpful. I am post treatment by 1 month and am cancer free!
Pam
Jbtnbc54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbtnbc54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2021 at 10:10pm
I wanted to post a reply - my diet is based on the Mediterranean diet. Mostly chicken or pork. Some fish and once in a while red meat (tenderloin which is very low fat).  

I don’t eat sugar (white cane) as much as possible. I’ve been concentrating on using medjool dates and sparingly. My oncologist told me that either monk fruit or stevia where the way to go but I prefer fruit sweetened most of the time (apple juice reduced, really ripe bananas and dates. 

I’m in Los Angeles.

Once in a while I’ll drink a beer but I’ve given up all other alcohol. 

I find I feel the best when I eat berries and cruciferous veggies  Raspberries strawberries blueberries strawberries blackberries—-

I haven’t been able to give up bread and my biggest difficulty is exercise. 

I have an opportunity to get into a TNBC trial for my mutation so that might be next.  
Anyone else have the CD166 mutation? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic