FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TC chemo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gin in Ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gin in Ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TC chemo
    Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 11:51am
I start TC chemo tomorrow. I've started the decadron today. Will I be feeling nauseous tomorrow? Should I take a nausea pill in the morning before I start?
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 12:15pm
I've had 3 rounds of TC so far.  I didn't take anything the days before the chemo, except drink lots of water.  Prior to administering the chemo, they gave me an IV of Decadron and Emend.  I took those drugs in pill form on day 2 and 3 following chemo.  I also take Pepcid after chemo.  I haven't had any problem with nausea.  I know chemo affects everyone differently and hope your side effect are minor.  Wishing you the best on your treatment.  Hang in there.
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Gin in Ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gin in Ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 1:58pm
Donna:  Thanks for the tip adout Pepcid. Have you had any issues with mouth sores? I've read I should start rinsing with salt water to "toughen" my mouth and that it  is used as a preventive. What about numbness/tingling in the hands?
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 2:11pm
For mouth sores, my onc recommends rinsing with a mixture of salt and baking soda.  I use about a tsp of each with warm water and keep it in my bathroom and rinse several times during the day, especially after eating.  I still have a sensitive mouth and tongue after chemo, but I have not been bothered with sores.  Since starting chemo, I've used this rinse every day.  I don't know if its necessary, but I feel at least I'm keeping my mouth as clean as possible. 

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 2:23pm
I've also had numbness/tingling in the hands after each treatment.  For me, it didn't start right away but within the first week and lasted a week or more.  Mine would subside before the next treatment.  Others may have other suggestions on how to minimize the tingling sensations, but my chemo nurse suggested taking a B-6 tablet.  I've tried it and it seems to help. 

I just had my 3rd chemo treatment last week and I'm experiencing pain in my arm from the chemo.  The vein almost feels like its bruised.  They say taxotere is hard on the veins and that's what's causing my discomfort.  The nurses recommended ibuprofen and a moist heating pad and keeping my arm elevated, if possible.   I'm trying it to see if it improves.

Are you getting a Neulasta shot after your chemo?

Gin in Ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gin in Ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 2:55pm
 Donna: I'm sheduled to get a Neulasta shot the following morning(Friday). Is this the way your Drs. shedule it ? My treatment is through Sansum Clinic.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 3:36pm
Yes, I get the Neulasta shot the day after my chemo also.  It will help you with your white blood count from dropping too low.  I had more side effects from the shot than the chemo.  It can give you achiness in your bones and joints, sort of like flu like symptoms.  If you get it, Ibuprofen helps a lot.  

Gin in Ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gin in Ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 4:37pm
Another ?(sorry ), on the day of the neulasta shot, are you able to function fairly well? I have sporting events to attend that evening. Will I be wiped out? It sounds like we are in similar boats. I'm 45, stage 1, 1.2cm negative nodes.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 4:56pm
No problem with questions, that's why this forum is so great.  I didn't feel any side effects for a couple of days after the shot.  I would get the shot on Friday and usually didn't have the side effects until Sunday and Monday.  For me it took a couple of days.  I've just learned that Sunday evening into Monday will be a bad day for me and plan accordingly.  You may not have the same side effects.  At least I hope not.

Did you buy a wig?  My hair started falling out about the 14th day after my first chemo.  When it happened, I had my husband shave my head to about 3/8".  I had a trimmer set for cutting my sons' hair.  It doesn't fall out all at once, but more like over several days.  I really noticed it in the shower and on my pillow.  You'll know when it's going to happen because your scalp will feel real sensitive, almost itchy like.  Not all the hair fell out, I look more like a newborn baby (or old man), not sure which.  I wear the wig when I go out.  But most of the time it's more comfortable for me to wear a bandana or scarf. 

Donna

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 4:58pm
It does sound like we're in similar boats.  Did you have a lumpectomy or mastectomy?  Are you getting radiation?

elaineb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elaineb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 5:38pm
Just wanted to share.  I did my first TC treatment on yesterday, followed by the Neulasta shot today.  I took the dex day before, of, and day after, then took claritan for the bone pain of the neulasta.  I have felt fine, no nausea, just tired and my fingers and tongue are tingling.  My hips also hurt a little bit, but don't know if that's from having an easy day today or actually from the shots.

I am 40, also stage one.  I did a lumpectomy, then one week of radiation, followed by the TC x 6. 

Good luck and hope everything goes well for you!
Dx 7/09 1.1 cm, Stage 1, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes TNBC
Lumpectomy 7/23/09
PB Rads x 1 week 8/31
TC x 6 9/8
Gin in Ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gin in Ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 7:43pm
hello, thanks for all the info.
it's quite a road we travel. This forum is great. I feel like i'm not alone and am able to ask for directions when needed. I guess like onstar.
i had a dbl mastectomy with reconstruction (expanders) 3 1/2 weeks ago. I'm node negative so I don't have to do any radiation. Tc chemo atleast 4 cycles. My Dr. is playing with the idea of possibly 6 cycles depending on the latest bc news. I guess she'll cross  that bridge later on.
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2009 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Gin in Ca Gin in Ca wrote:

I start TC chemo tomorrow. I've started the decadron today. Will I be feeling nauseous tomorrow? Should I take a nausea pill in the morning before I start?

Dear Gin,

It all depends. Your doctor will want you to follow the specific instructions on when to take the particular nausea meds she wants you to take (there are quite a few types). Also if you have been given prescriptions for nausea meds already, get them filled and carry with you to the chemo sessions. She may ask you to take some an hour or so before starting chemo or she may give you a shot of Emend with the chemo.

Let us know how chemo goes for you.

Regards,

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2009 at 5:32pm
Gin,

Hope your first day goes smoothly.  Ask questions!  Take someone with you if you can and pack a chemo bag with water, snacks, things to do, mags/book.

Let us know how it went for you.
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
GRANNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRANNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2009 at 6:50pm

Hi Gin,  I just finished my last tc treatment Aug. 31 .  It is true that the chemo effects everyone differently.  I felt good the day of chemo and the day after chemo then on the thrid day I would feel nauseated.  The thing that help me was eating 6 to 8 small meals a day as long as my stomach did not get empty I felt fine.  I guess it could be nausea meds that were given IV that prevent any problems the first couple days.  They gave me Zantac, and zofran IV before my chemo via my port.  The port is a wonderful thing no vien pain here.  Best of Luck and I hope all goes well for you.  Julia

rvbk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rvbk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 5:30pm
Hi, this is my first post as a new member.   I will start TC in about a week. I am trying to decide whether to have chemo on Fridays or wait until MOnday mornings. Specifically, I am trying to participate in particular activities during weeks 2 and 3 after the chemo treatment in the first set. (I'll be getting 4 sets, one every 3 weeks, to be followed by 6 weeks radiation). I see there is varying nausea within first few days, but how tired will I be in weeks 2 and 3, especially during the first set? Also, any pros or cons to having treatment on Friday afternoon as opposed to Monday morning? I am planning on taking the week off work on the first and possibly 2nd sets, then the 3rd and 4th happen during Thanksgiving and XMAS breaks already in place. Appreciate any advice on amount of side effects in weeks 2 and 3 each time, and managing those.   I'm 48, lumpectomy, stage 1. RVBK
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2009 at 6:41am
RVBK,

I had my TC treatment on a Thursday and usually felt fine on Friday when I'd go for the Neulasta shot.  Very tired for the first week, but no nausea.  I ended up with terrible bone pain from the Neulasta usually about 2 days after the shot.  During the second week, I'd still be tired but started feeling much better each day.   By the third week I'd feel more like normal.  My gums were sore for about a week or more and I couldn't really taste food very well during this time.  I know everyone has different experiences and side effects from chemo, so I'm only telling you about what I experienced. 

Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2009 at 7:04am
Dear rvbk,

Welcome Clapand since I have already emailed you the information, I am sure you will find answers to many of your questions there.

My daughter Lori teaches second grade and did so all through her treatments. She had her chemo on Friday afternoon, and then had Monday and Tuesday off work the following week. Her first chemo she went back on Tuesday and that was a big mistake, as she thought she was not going to make it through the day.

If you get all the scripts for all your meds from your oncologist BEFORE your first chemo, that would be a plus. Lori's first chemo treatment did not go well, but that was due to gulping a Wendy's chocolate frosty, and she hurled until almost dehydrayted.Unhappy

I think the day of the week is your decision, but it is not usually the day of chemo when you begin to feel the effects, it is usually, (was for Lori), about 36 hours later, and the tiredness, bone pain etc., lasted for about 9 days. She is a runner, and could not stay true to her exercise routine until after day 9. Lori really listened to her body, and did only what she felt she could.

Lori did all her lesson plans before the day of chemo, as her vision was blurred for many days after and she could not read, or be on the computer at that time. Lori had 6 treatments, and really did not miss that much work due to the holidays. She started in August and her last treatment was the day after Thanksgiving, and then one month later began the radiation treatments.

So...ask any questions, and these amazing women will reply...that's a promiseWink
Hugs,
Nancy
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
bookbaroness View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookbaroness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2009 at 7:16am
Hi there, I didn't have trouble with nausea, but had severe indigestion which they attributed to the decadron. I was given  several antinausea meds to take if needed, but had to call and talk to my onc regarding the indigestion. It took a couple of tries with different indigestion meds, but finally landed on prevacid to take routinely and on the three days post infusion was to add zantac. This worked most of the time, but there were times I had to add maalox  as well.  Like others have said, everyone reacts differently. I guess you kinda have to see how you do. Just don't hesitate to call your onc with quesitons.

Good luck!
dx 3/09,lumpectomy 4/09, margin & axil nodes 5/09, stg IIa,grade 3.ACT/avastin done 10/29, rads started 11/30, 12/09 recur vs missed initially. 1/10 bilat mast, rads done 4/10, zometa q3mos now
NINASUZIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NINASUZIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2009 at 10:11am
I've been on CT (cytoxin and taxotere) and I wrote of GI complications for me.  Otherwise, I get infused Wednesdays, premeds w/decadron, Emend during day of and 2 following days and Nuelasta shot on Thursdays.  I end the Decadron over the weekend and slide downward with flu like symptoms, bone aches (Nuelasta), body soreness, need Compazine to keep nausea at bay, cut back on foods to soups/toast/clear fluids.  I do get mouth sores and throat.  I use "Magic mouthwash" and a thick non alcohol mouthwash and gentle brushing.  I end up washed out for almost 2 weeks, but some is definitely from the colon getting effected and upset.  I feel great that last week, so I have had to work JUST from home for now. Since my onc wants to drag out each C or T infusion and add an additional 6 weeks to chemo treatment, we'll be conferring about what is "reasonable" since we all have to function and pay our bills too.  I was a strong chemo candidate for my stage IIA (3/5cm IDC/1.0cm DCIS, no nodes, no lymphovascular invasion).  I said no to Adriamycin.  Now, we'll see if saying no more CT/TC is better and try something gentler on my GI track.  I did lose all of my hair, most of my lashes, but it's been all okay.  My daughter is walking for the American Cancer Society in our area today.  It's amazing too the wonderful people I meet here and now elsewhere when I have one of my "hat/cap" days-very upbeat and positive talks!  I wish you the best on these days and weeks.  You have the right questions, the right options and here, great people to share with :D
Suzie
Dx: 1/09 Metaplastic TN IDC/3.5CM/DCIS/1.0;4/09 L mastectomy;6-11/09 Cytoxan/Taxotere X6;BRACA-; Recurrance 11/10 bone mets broke arm;Lung mets;rads X15; chemo/parp tbd 1/11
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic