FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taxol Treatment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Natalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 7:48pm
I had Nuelasta throughtout all chemo treatments. I honestly have not heard of docs stopping it.
TNBC stage1 size 1.8, grade3 no nodes 4/11 Lumpectomy 5/11 4cycles DD A/C 4cycles DD Taxol. Double Mastectomy 12/11 BRCA all neg
tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 7:55pm
I am going to call them tomorrow and find out the reasoning because to me that makes no sense.

To be honest I have been going back and forth and they have been charging me for the injection with a copay when in office injections are free. I finally fixed that and NOW they stop giving me neulastata.
I smell something very fishy.
Diagnosed 4/29
Lymph nodes clear on MRI on 5/20
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
final mri- no lymph 4mm or less residual
Lump right side on 10/16
7 nodes taken - all clear - clean margins

hopeful57 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopeful57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 9:02pm
Hi, I just started DD Taxol once every two weeks and they still give the Neulasta shot the day after, same as AC. I would ant to find out why they think you can do DD Taxol without it.
tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 1:38pm
Here is my nurses reason behind me not getting neulasta:Tll me if this makes sense to anyone?

Many people have bone pain and some muscle discomfort from receiving neulasta, so that would be one benefit.  Another benefit would be that your body recovers on it's own after chemotherapy, which yours did with an ANC of 2.5, so no need for more medicine.  You can always discuss this in more depth with your nurse tomorrow when receiving your chemo if you have further questions as it is easier to speak face to face when discussing these issues. I hope this helps.

Diagnosed 4/29
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
Lump right side on 10/16

Natalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 2:10pm
Don't know if this was really the case or not, but I had Nuelasta with A/C & T. Although I had no pain after shot on A/C I had bad pain with it on Taxol. My Onc. told me I was having worse pain because my bcs take a worse hit on Taxol therefore the Nuelasta is really kicking in to keep them up. 
I had the worst pain in the big bones in my body ie. from the hips down. 

Now all this time out honestly?? I still have pains when I overdo it. Arthritis panel neg.
I don't know about not taking it, I assume wbc can go low no matter what. My thinking is I wouldrather have the pain rather then have my counts tank and then needing transfusions and possibly delayting a treatment or two.
Just my thoughts.
Natalie
TNBC stage1 size 1.8, grade3 no nodes 4/11 Lumpectomy 5/11 4cycles DD A/C 4cycles DD Taxol. Double Mastectomy 12/11 BRCA all neg
tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 2:13pm
What is ANC?
Diagnosed 4/29
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
Lump right side on 10/16

Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 2:24pm
7 years ago I had neulasta the day after 4 DD A/C treatments and 4 DD Taxol/Gemzar treatments.

I did have the bone pain, especially with the taxol/gemzar, but my oncologist said it was to keep my blood counts up until I was finished with chemo.

It sounds as though there are many schools of thought about neulasta.  I personally would prefer taking it, if it is offered or advised, to make sure my counts did not cause me to miss a treatment, etc.

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
Mimis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mimis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 1:08am
I take neulasta after each A/C and Taxol also. The first taxol I had severe bone pain and so second one The onc cut it down and I get 2/3 and cut Taxol by 20% because he said I could get permanent neuropathy. I had third Raxol today but yest started another sx associated with Taxol - terrible burping that taste like sulfur- like rotten eggs or something- my family tells me it smells terrible like im passing gas- I cant smell it- researched and it says its from the taxol- anybody else have this? One more dose in 2 weeks! Thank God!! I read Tumeric helps with the sx of taxol and improves with the benefits- I took a double dose and hoping this improves fast! Its awful!!

Edited by Mimis - Aug 02 2013 at 10:54pm
tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 10:34pm
I had my first Taxol today. No reactions to the meds. Thank goodness. So they said I can go the three hour route instead of the almost 5 hour slow drip time today.

The only side effect I have is the flushing of my face. I can already tell its easier on my body. My nightly temp is down to 98.0 degrees when it was running 99/100 on AC.

Also, one last question can someone offer some vitamins to supplement with the neuropathy when it hits? I was think of accupuncture.  I heard that works good if its real bad.

Thanks in advance.

Overalll, good day with Taxol today.
Diagnosed 4/29
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
Lump right side on 10/16

Mimis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mimis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 10:53pm
I just read that L- glutamine is specifically for neuropathy related to Taxol- my hubby has actually gone to buy some! Walmart carries it
Natalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 11:11pm
I did the L-glutamine.
I have seen on the boards here, some have done the ice thing. It was either straight ice or ice water for putting hands and or feet in, don't remember at what point during the infusions. Maybe someone will chime in on this.
Very glad you handled the first of your treatments so well. just remember if anything comes up, please bring it to either the Oncologists attention or the nurse. Do not procrastinate on it.

Keep up the faith,
Natalie

tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 11:54pm
I asked the onc once about ice and s he barked at me and said definitely not they never do that. Like it was a joke. They said they want the med to circulate everywhere. I dont' understand that when so many people do that.

I'm gonna try that g-lumatine also. If someone knows can they recommend the daily dose for it? thanks again.

Tracy
Diagnosed 4/29
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
Lump right side on 10/16

kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 12:04am
I did acupuncture and felt it saved me, allowing me to retain energy level enabling me to work. I didnt get my first appt. with the accupuncurist until the week after my first chemo. Thereafter I was able to schedule acupuncture treatment for an hour or so after each chemo tx. I felt such a difference. I would be able to do some work around the house too, but would watch my time so as not to overdo to conserve energy to continue working.

Decadron was not given during the time I went thru tx but they also were not doing DD at that time.
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 1:02am
This is going to sound really weird but can Taxol actually make your hair start growing back a tiny bit? I noticed a difference in the mirror..Very minor but still there. has anyone else had that?
Diagnosed 4/29
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
Lump right side on 10/16

fireagate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireagate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2013 at 12:46am
I'm taking L-glutamine. The oncologist said to take 2 heaping tsp mixed in juice 3x per day (30g total). I just take it in water. It can also be good for helping with mouth sores.

I also got my first Neupogen shot today (not neulasta because I am on weekly taxol). I will be giving myself two shots a week so hopefully that will be enough to bring my numbers back up.

tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2013 at 12:51am
I got some l- glutomaine today. thats the general rule i'll follow also.. today was my first day without neulasta ater chemo and I actually feel pretty good. no horrible muscle pain just yet..but I am sure its coming sunday like it always dose
Diagnosed 4/29
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
Lump right side on 10/16

tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2013 at 11:11pm
Today is Sunday night. Bone pain of course not normally where I usually get it. It's in my calves. I took a half a pain pill then headed off to bed. It could be worse. No Neuro yet but i can't tell..It might be very slight but nothing to complain about. I keep telling myself only 3 more rounds of this
Diagnosed 4/29
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
Lump right side on 10/16

tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2013 at 12:00am
I am on my 6th Taxol treatment on Friday. They said today I can cut my steriods the night before in half to see if that caused the flushing on my face  or the taxol did.

I can't wait until Sept 13 (my last Taxol). Good luck to all the ladies still doing the battle on this stage on every other stage. My allergies have been killing me. I am glad I got of the neulasta still. Overalll I feel much better.
Diagnosed 4/29
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
Lump right side on 10/16

baldtigger1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baldtigger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2013 at 1:23pm
I am on my 2nd Taxol treatment.  I had slight diarrhea with the first treatment, and horrible diarrhea with this second one.  Also, my face, especially my eyes, itch like crazy!  The websites list this as an "uncommon" side effect.  Has anyone else experienced this?  
Also, I thought I would have enough energy to go back to full time teaching after finishing the A/C, and am feeling kind of wimpy since I am only up to working half time so far.  Is this normal?  
DX 5/24, stage2B invasive, no nodes,
4 A/C completed 7/31, 12 Taxol completed 11/22, 20 rads...
Life is an adventure!
katiedidit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katiedidit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2013 at 4:26pm
Dear Baldtigger,

I had my last (4th, biweekly) Taxol a week ago Friday (Aug. 23).  I had diarrhea and vomiting twice (Day 4 and Day 6) after the second Taxol, each time very early in the am before normal wake-up time.  After my 3rd and 4th Taxol, I took a Compazine (anti-nausea) pill before going to bed for the first week, and did not have diarrhea/vomiting again,although I felt a few rumbles.  So I think it helped. 

Like you, I am tired.  I took 1.5 to 2 hr naps on the weekends after treatments 2, 3, and 4.  I am still working full-time, but have wished I could nap on a couple more afternoons.  I can see that it could be tough for a teacher.  Best wishes.  Listen to your body.

New questions:

My mastectomy is scheduled for Sept. 13.  I am not having reconstruction since I am 65 yrs old.  When should I be fitted for a prosthesis?  Before or after the mastectomy?  I am relatively small breasted, not quite B cup, so I  figured it should not be too difficult.  Right now, I am planning to stop by the hospital's cancer patient shop next Friday (Sept 6) when I go in for my pre-op tests.  Does anyone use a small prosthesis in their regular bra, or does everyone buy the special pocket ones?  Is there a good place to order bras/prostheses on line?  I am completely ignorant on the topic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic