FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taxol Rash!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
txhart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taxol Rash!!
    Posted: Aug 29 2008 at 4:13pm
Hey Ladies,
I don't know how to search this site for subjects, so maybe someone has experienced this. I have developed a rash from Taxol and it is driving me crazy!! The prescription gel they gave me is not helping. I thought maybe someone may know of a cream or something to help. I'm listening!
thanks
Linda

Edited by txhart - Aug 29 2008 at 4:13pm
Linda
age 48
Triple Negative Stage 2B
IDC 2.7
Diagnosed 7/24/08
12 rounds Paclitaxel
4 rounds FEC, surgery Feb 3, 6 wks of rad

cg--- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cg--- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2008 at 6:05pm
Dear Linda,

Taxol is made from the Pacific Yew - but the preservative they use (cremophor is an elixir made from castor oil)

Having suffered from allergic reactions...I know how terrible you must be feeling.

They usually given a steroid and Benadryl a half hour before, and then very slowly infuse the Taxol to check for reactions.

Do you have any Benadryl? - They give this for allergic reactions - or the generic is diphenhydramine or Alledryl. You could take a capsule of this - (will make you sleepy).

You can also buy Benadryl cream....or a very mild hydrocortisone cream to take the itch out....(do not apply on broken skin).

And if it does not stop...or gets worse you may need a tapering dose of prednisone for the allergic reaction.

I hope you can get some relief.

Connie

txhart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2008 at 6:35pm
Connie,
Thank you! This was my third treatment. For the first one, they gave me 10 mg of steroids before Taxol. Second treatment, 4 mg, third treatment...nadda. SO...during treatment it started feeling like bees stinging my hands and my arms were turning red and hivey. She waited until AFTER the treatment to order Benadryl, which did help at the time. But on Thur, the day after treatment, my neck and chest started to break out and they ordered a gel called.. Clindamycin (sp?).. so it helps at first then nothing.. so I'm going to get some Benadryl like you suggested and some cream. It's driving me absolutely nuts and I want to scratch it with a fork or something really sharp! (don't worry, I won't).
thanks again for the help,
Linda
Linda
age 48
Triple Negative Stage 2B
IDC 2.7
Diagnosed 7/24/08
12 rounds Paclitaxel

cg--- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cg--- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2008 at 7:09pm
That is so wrong.....

each treatment with Taxol you should be treated with premedication before the Taxol infusion.

I double checked everything that was written and the second time I had no premeds ordered....and I waited until the nurse got an order. I asked each time whether everything was there.

If you have ZANTAC or ranitidine (generic) you can take this because of the H2 blocker which blocks allergic reaction - They give this for stomach conditions - but they also give 2 tablets of this plus 2 tablets of Benadryl for moderate to severe itching rashes - allergic rashes.

I gained all this knowledge from going to emergency rooms...with allergic reactions.

Clindamycin is an antibiotic given for skin infections and dental infections - or in a gel to put on zits (Dalacin).

You sound like you had a typical drug reaction - why would they give you antibiotic gel?

txhart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2008 at 3:49am
Connie,
I came home and read about the Clindamycin too. No wonder it only helped at first, because the gel was soothing, but an acne med? I was thinking ok they must know something that I don't, but I'll save it for my teenage son!
I did check the order before treatment, as well, and it only had the 10mg for first week, 4mg for second, and none for 3rd. The nurse came in with a steroid tablet for me to take but I refused it because it wasn't on the order. It was late in the evening so she coudln't call my onc. I'm seeing her on Wed tho before my next treatment, so hopefully we'll get this straightened out. I'd rather take Benadryl if it's just as effective.
I appreciate your knowledge. Sorry, tho, that you found out thru ER visits. We have a hurricane heading our way now, so I want to get everyrhiing in order in case we hve to evacuate. ggrrrrr
Linda
Linda
age 48
Triple Negative Stage 2B
IDC 2.7
Diagnosed 7/24/08
12 rounds Paclitaxel

cg--- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cg--- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2008 at 4:03am

Dear Txhart,

Keep yourself safe.....don't forget the over-the-counter stomach medications like Tagamet, Zantac - that work as histamine blocker - along with your Benadryl.

Love and safe shelter,

Connie

txhart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2008 at 4:27am
Connie,
Do I take that before I go in for treatment? One or both? If possible, I'd like to avoid the steroids.
thanks
Linda
Linda
age 48
Triple Negative Stage 2B
IDC 2.7
Diagnosed 7/24/08
12 rounds Paclitaxel

cg--- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cg--- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2008 at 7:22am

Take the Benadryl and the stomach medicine before so it is in your system BUT make sure some one drives you!! Benadryl is very sedating. Taxol premedications are always given before the actual Taxol infusion WHICH should be done very slowly...I had it every two weeks dose dense and it took 3 hours to infuse. They gave me premedications and waited half hour and then slowly infused my dose.

Ask any questions..and we always hope we can provide better care and treatment for those doing it after we did ours.

Connie
txhart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2008 at 7:39am
What is considered slow?
I'm getting 156 mg over 1 hr once a week for 12 weeks. Wouldn't it depend on the mg?
thanks
Linda
age 48
Triple Negative Stage 2B
IDC 2.7
Diagnosed 7/24/08
12 rounds Paclitaxel

cg--- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cg--- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2008 at 8:26am
Yes...I think that would be considered slow...some I heard had it infused over 15 minutes doing it weekly.

I wish I would have had it weekly...(I asked and they would not do it) - they found 12 weekly Taxol to be more effective.

I am happy they are finding better ways to treat us...

Connie
webidm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote webidm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2010 at 6:26am
Taxol infusion contains the active ingredient paclitaxel, which is a type of chemotherapy medicine for cancer known as a 'taxane'.
http://www.internationaldrugmart.com/taxol.html
Kerry OK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kerry OK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2010 at 11:35pm
Question?

Kerry had her 10th round of weekly Taxol today. She has had a red rash on the knuckles of both hands for the last 2 weeks.  Last week the onc said it was dry skin, so she applied lotion. This week he gave her a rx of Methylpred    It is getting worse , hope the meds work.  Did anyone have the same problems.  Good news is that she is almost finished with the 1st half of chemo.

Thanks
Brad 
DX 11/11/09, IDC, <.5cm, 0-2 Nodes, Stage I, Grade 3 TNBC, Lumpectomy 11/27/09, Age 53 Treatment begins 2/5/10, 12 wkly doses Taxol, 4 doses every 2 wks of A C Then 6 wks Rads
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2010 at 10:24am
Brad,

I had the same rash after my first treatment with taxotere.  The methylprednisone helps, but it may take a day or two before your wife notices some relief or improvement.
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Kerry OK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kerry OK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2010 at 11:15am
Donna and anyone taking FEC,

Thanks for answering Brad about the methylprednisone.  I just took my first dose this morning before breakfast.  Hopefully it will work.  My rash is on the tops of my hands and starting down the side of my right arm.  The odd thing about the rash is, that it does not really itch.  I find myself putting lotion on it all the time--so it is really smooth!  

Other than that, Taxol has not really bothered me much and I take it weekly.  I must admit that I do get really tired a couple of days after having the infusion.  That could be because I do not sleep much at all the night that I have Taxol.  That is even with a sleeping aid.  It seems like I have a ton of energy.  Then I am wasted for a few days. 

TWO more weekly doses and I will be half way finished with my treatment!!  The next is 12 weeks taken every 3rd week of FEC.  Does anyone out there know much about this combo??

Kerry Tongue

Edited by Kerry OK - Apr 10 2010 at 11:17am
DX 11/11/09, IDC, <.5cm, 0-2 Nodes, Stage I, Grade 3 TNBC, Lumpectomy 11/27/09, Age 53 Treatment begins 2/5/10, 12 wkly doses Taxol, 4 doses every 2 wks of A C Then 6 wks Rads
mudpuppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudpuppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2010 at 4:52pm
I am so sorry to hear you are having not so good time with this rash.
I did 12 weekly cycles of Taxotere, I was given 100 mg over 1 hour.  I had a benadryl push before my Taxotere as part of the premeds given to me. Have you asked about getting benadryl as part of the premeds?  And of course, Decadron (Dexamethasone) the night before, morning of, and more as premed.  I was given Tagament throught IV but the last 2 or 3 treatments was given another drug because Tagament is not being intravenously anymore.

DX 9/21/2009, age 37, Tumor 3 cm (4.3 with tentacles), Grade 3, DD Neoadj chemo,4X AC, 12X Taxotere,Stage 2A, BRCA 1/2 neg, Bilat mast/reconst 5/18/10, 0/10 nodes, Gemzar & Cisplatin 4 cycles
KiwiPom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2010 at 9:50pm
My mum (dx TNBC May 2010, 3cm tumour, nodes and bone scan clear) is half way through her chemo and has a mean rash all over her head which is now getting quite pus-y (Sick ) - I presume this is similar to, or is, a chemo rash?
Would the benadryl or similar anti-histamine work in her case do you think?
Thanks,
Rosie. (lives New Zealand, Mum in Spain.)
mudpuppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudpuppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2010 at 12:26am
KiwiPom,

Has your mom talked to her doctor regarding the rash on her head?  If she has an allergic reaction the benadryl may help.  I just worry that it is on her head and with pus.  She should check with her doctor because it could be a number of things.  During chemo the immune system to a hit and can get sick much easier.  I'm not a doctor, although I know that sometimes people get a rash on their head from shingles.  I am not saying it is I just know someone that had shingles and had a rash on her head. 

I would have your mom go to her doctor to let him/her take a look at it and decide what to do.  It may be chemo rash that got bad.  But just have to check with her doctor. 

Even though I do not know your mom, she will definitely be in my prayers.

Sincerely,

Christine
DX 9/21/2009, age 37, Tumor 3 cm (4.3 with tentacles), Grade 3, DD Neoadj chemo,4X AC, 12X Taxotere,Stage 2A, BRCA 1/2 neg, Bilat mast/reconst 5/18/10, 0/10 nodes, Gemzar & Cisplatin 4 cycles
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2010 at 7:46am
Christine,

You brought up a good point about Kiwimom's rash.  I had the rash from taxotere but it was more like hives and wasn't pussy at all.  Getting the doctor to look at it and make sure it's not shingles or something else is great advice.

Kiwimom,

There has been other threads on this forum in the past talking about how some people get shingles after treatment ended.  It is definitely something to ask the doctor about.  Even if it's shingles, benadryl should help with the symptoms.  I hope your mom gets some relief soon.  Let us know what they think it is.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

grma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2010 at 2:10am
123 Donna- I am just finished with my second Taxol about 10 min. into the first treatment I got hives watery eyes and itching.  They immediately stopped chemo gave me Benadryl and more DEX This second time I was premedicated with steroid and Benadryl and no reaction.  I did have terrible restless legs.  I had to keep moving my legs.  Both times i have been unable to sleep even with sleep medication. Anyone else have restless legs after steroid and benadryl? grma
tnbcsucks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnbcsucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2010 at 1:43pm
Hi Brad, did your wife have the Taxol first and then 4 treatments of A/C?  Just curious as that is my plan but I'm doing the 4 A/C first and then the 12 weeks of Taxol.  Just wondered what was norm?
Thanks!
TNBC DX April, 2010,Lumpectomy May 3.5cm with clear nodes,Stage 2, Grade III Started Chemo on June 7: 4 A/C every other week and then 12 weeks of Taxol. followed by 6 weeks of radiation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic