FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin cancer & autoimmune diseases

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bethie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bethie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skin cancer & autoimmune diseases
    Posted: Mar 11 2017 at 2:07pm
I am just wondering if any of you out there have experienced getting skin cancer after treatment? I finished all neoadjuvant chemo, surgery, radiation and also adjuvant xeloda as of last October and have now been diagnosed with a melanoma on my arm as well as last week a squamous cell on my leg. It makes me wonder what possible cell activity has been happening due to the chemo. Have any of you had this happen and if not please be sure to be going to a derm to keep an eye on things.

Also I was wondering how many of you have autoimmune diseases.  I have hashimotos, a thyroid autoimmune disease. I was diagnosed over 20 years ago with this. I am just wondering how much this might have played a role in my triple negative occurrence.

Diag 6/15 stage 2 12xtaxol/4xAC, lumpectomy 12/15, 36 rad, 6 mos xeloda 
mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2017 at 6:15pm
Hi Bethie-  I personally haven't been dx'ed with skin cancer- however... reading this reminded me of Dusty, a friend of mine who was dx'ed with hormone positive bc.  She also developed skin cancer and is doing fine now.

I was looking at the autoimmune disease the other way around since bouncing back from chemo can be so challenging.. even 5 years out.  I can see how your immune system could be compromised by such harsh tx.  So you're saying you were diagnosed with hashimotos 20 years ago, and wonder if this contributed to your odds of getting tnbc.  I kind of doubt it.  It might be better to not drive yourself crazy trying to figure  out "why."   I've developed a habit of staying in the moment and appreciating all the blessings around me rather than looking back or too far forward.  I'd say this has served me pretty well.  Of course there's days I slip.  Many otherwise healthy women are dx'ed daily with tnbc.  Docs are however connecting obesity with certain cancers. 

Take Good Care!
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Grew to Stage IIa- No ev of node involve- BRCA1+ chondroid metaplasia
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012
rosewater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosewater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2017 at 6:56pm
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's when I was 2yrs out from diagnosis (my TSH went up to 250 and I could barely walk). I've been told that it can be genetic. Since then my Mom has been tested and she also has Hashimoto's. My oncologist told me that 'they' think Hashimoto's can sometimes be triggered by stress, and that a cancer diagnosis is certainly stressful.
Also, my Dad doesn't have Hashimoto's, but he has the BRCA 2+ gene mutation (that I have). My cousin on his side of the family also tested positive with the gene mutation and she also has Hashimoto's. So, I agree, trying to relate these things could be crazy-making. There are so many variables 😊
DX IDC TNBC 03/14 age 40, Stage 1, Grade 3, 2cm, 0/4Nodes, lumpectomy 04/14, DD A/C x4, Taxol x12, Carboplatin x2, BMX 10/14, rads x28 Finished Jan 14/15, Oopherectomy Jan 29/15 BRCA 2+
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic