FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reoccurrence in SAME breast - 1-2% chance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Humbird68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humbird68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reoccurrence in SAME breast - 1-2% chance
    Posted: Jul 15 2020 at 5:16pm
Hello, I (52 y/o female)was diagnosed with a stage 2b IDC TNBC in 2014. I received Standard treatment of chemo , double mastectomy , and an oral pill to take after. As of July 2020 I have been diagnosed with a 1-2 cm TNBC tumor in the SAME breast from the original location. My doctors are saying 1-2% chance of this happening. Have any other had a similar reoccurrence? 

Please reach out with any advice. We are waiting to hear more .... doctors think I will need surgery , radiation , and possible Xolodol(?) not sure I spelled this correctly. 

Thank you so much 
Humbird68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humbird68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2020 at 5:17pm
I am not metastatic and have no signs in lymp, etc. 
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2020 at 10:44pm
Hi Humbird,

Sorry to read about your recurrence. 

I have helped at least 100 women with TNBC from this forum over the last 11 years and, anecdotally, I believe your doctor's 1-2% for local recurrence post-mastectomy is low.
I have helped at least 10 women with recurrence post-mastectomy. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16850244/

In the above study the number was 9%. 

It's Xeloda-

https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/druglist/xeloda

It's important to note that all chemotherapies have side effects and not everyone, from my experience, has the side effects listed but my guess is that you will experience at least one of them and if severe you should let your oncologist know. And I hope you don't have any major issues.

Good luck to you!

warmly,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
Annaplair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annaplair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2020 at 7:21pm
How did it present when it returned?  I'm waiting for an appt on Friday for a new spot/rash on the same breast that had TNBC 4 years ago.  The rash is a different looking rash from the first time.  First time was stage 2b.  I had chemo, lumpectomy, and radiation.  
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2020 at 7:45pm
Dear Annaplair,

Hopefully your rash is just a rash from some benign source and can be treated with antibiotics. Out of an abundance of caution I would suggest you ask the Breast Medical Oncologist that you are going to see if s/he thinks it has any of the signs of 
Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC) that are described below.

Here is some information on IBC from the American Cancer Society.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/breast-cancer/understanding-a-breast-cancer-
diagnosis/types-of-breast-cancer/inflammatory-breast-cancer.html

IBC is a very rare cancer and some Breast Medical Oncologists have not treated patients with this type of breast cancer so you have to make sure your oncologist is an expert in IBC if your rash looks like what is described in the above link.

Good luck to you.

warmly,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic