FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

? regarding lump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tambu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tambu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ? regarding lump
    Posted: Apr 06 2009 at 5:05pm
I had a left mastectomy on 1/8/09.At the time of my mastectomy I had a sentinel node biopsy which revealed no malignancy.There were 2 enlarged lymph nodes that were removed at the time of surgery.Due to no positive lymph nodes,I was informed that I would not require radiation,only chemo.

Last Friday night I felt a tiny pea sized lump in my axilla about 1 inch above the incision line from my mastectomy.It is not painful,feels rubbery,an can be moved.I spoke with my breast surgeon and he has me scheduled for an ultrasound of the axilla and chest wall tomorrow morning.

I just finished my first round of A/C (once every 2 weeks for 4 treatments) and just had my first Taxol 2 weeks ago (once every 2 weeks for 4 treatments).My next Taxol is this Thursday.

Has this ever happened to anyone?? Can you have metastasis while on chemo??? I have been holding and lifting my 5 month old Daughter and sleeping on my left side more often. I am not sure if this has anything to do with it.I am very scared as I am afraid of this horrible cancer coming back.(I already had an MRI of the brain due to having a severe headache for 1 week which came back normal).Thank you for your help.

Tammy
Tammy
38 years old
dx: TNBC 11/17/08
3cm tumor
1/8/09 Left Mastectomy
Grade 3
Stage 2 N0
2 benign nodes removed
Clear Margins
Terri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2009 at 6:10pm
Tammy, I`m sorry I don`t have any answers for you but just wanted to give you my support. I remember on my path report they described the 2 lymph nodes they took out as rubbery. Maybe it`s just a lymph node you never felt before surgery?

Good luck with your test tomorrow.  I hope it all turns out well and you get answers right away.  Hug

Terri
IDC DX 8/17/07 (age 41)
Stage 1 Grade 1-2, 1.35 cm
2 nodes neg, Lumpectomy 10/07
Chemo: FEC 100 x 6, 35 rads
BRCA 1/2 NEG
PET/CT & Brain CT Nov 09
Brain MRI Aug 2012 NED
krisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2009 at 6:25pm
as you travel along in the cancer world, you will notice and feel lumps and bumps more than you ever thought possible.

good idea to have it checked out for your peace of mind.

i have felt pea size lumps in my arms, legs, etc and i think it is lymph nodes that have enlarged for whatever reason, and eventually they go back to a normal size and i don't feel them.

you have alot going on in that area due to the surgery and so, your lymph system may be overloaded. 
take care.
Heart
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2009 at 9:08am

Krisa is right and there could be several reasons a lymph node might swell.

It is still pretty recent from your surgery and your lymph system is confused at this point.  It's always a good idea to tell your Onc of any concerns.

Let us know what you fight out,

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2009 at 11:21am

My oncologist thought she felt a lump under my arm in the middle of my chemo so we did a pet scan and a mri and nothing showed up and it seemed to go away...It was right in the area of the lumph node removal and I think it was just scar tissue or maybe swelling...did another pet scan after all my treatments and nothing showed up ...better to have it checked out but i t may be nothing to worry about ...

Becca
Age58 DX 12/07
Grand Junction, Colorado
Lumpectomy 1/08/08
Stage IIIA grade3
5/19 nodes
chemo 5/08 radiation 7/08
clear pet 9/08
tracym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2009 at 12:01pm
Hi Tammy,

I had a similar lump/bump develop during chemo.  It scared me to death, so I can understand your anxiety.  My oncologist & surgeon insisted it was nothing & advised me to wait & watch it.  But I insisted on removing it when port taken out--turns out to be scar tissue.
It's hard not to worry, but it's likely to be nothing.

Best,

Tracy
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2009 at 7:00am
Tammy,
It's probably a sebaceous cyst, completely harmless but terrifying.  I had the same thing happen and was sure it was cancer, but it turned out to be nothing (it is long gone).   I was told that lymph nodes in the axilla are deep inside, not at the surface just under the skin.  So if you get a little pea sized lump that's right under the skin or the subcutaneous fat, you can be pretty confident that it's not a lymph node, and not cancer either.
Breathe!
Denise
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
kidzrn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kidzrn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2009 at 5:22pm
I had the same thing too and it was just a small piece of scar tissue Smile I would always mention to my doctor but hopefully its nothing:) Christi
christi

2006,TNBC,Gr3 dbl mast, 4AC/4T {NED 4/07}, Lung Met 4/08, Carbo, Avastin, Taxol/Taxotere (CAT)x4, Lung Surgery 9/08, then Avastin every 3 wks until 2012...NED since 2/09
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic