Forum Description: A place to chat
URL: http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=8221
Printed Date: Mar 28 2024 at 4:22am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Survivors Needed
Posted By: Kitkat
Subject: Survivors Needed
Date Posted: Mar 27 2011 at 10:34pm
Could we have a post for all the survivors out there.  I read alot of these post and sometimes it feels as if we are waiting or watching of the cancer to come back, and so many has had it come back.  If we could just see how many are out there that have beaten this!!!  I only know one girl who had this cancer and she will have her 5 year anniversary this august.  Other then her, I know No one personally.  Except for all of you here....you are all I have.  Just wanting more hope.

Dx 6/10 IDC stage 1Tc  1.3cm  lumpectomy  4xTC 25 rad. with 7 boost tumor site  clear cat and bone scan 12/10, going tomorrow 3 mo check up and results on scans last week.  hopin and prayenBig smile

Replies:
Posted By: bondande
Date Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 8:14am
I am 2 years and counting.  Those that have been NED for long periods of time probably don't check in here as they have moved on but I am sure with the lingering fear of it's return.  I will never take my health for granted again.  Not quite as happy go lucky as I once was.  But certainly more grateful. When you have God you have hope.    Blessings to you,
Bonnie

-------------
age55,Stg2a,Gr3,3.8cm tumor,mod.rad.mast.lft brst3/4/09,4ac,4taxol,33 rads.done11/2/09.BRCA1+oophorectomy1/5/2010,mast.rt brst 2/18/10,NED,bonescan 8/16/10,NED,catscan11/29/10NED catscan 3/17/11 NED

Posted By: elfdream
Date Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 8:47am
Wow. I just this moment joined this forum for this very reason. My first post is over in the intro thread.  I am an eight year survivor. I had three small tumors, the largest at 2.4 centimeters, one was was barely a spot on the screen and involvement in three lymph nodes. Stage II A. I have as of yet had no reoccurences.

You are right about moving on. I even forgot my diagnosis/surgery date this year! I hope all of you will reach that point.

However I do not live in fear of it returning. When I was first diagnosed a survivor specifically said "You cannot live in fear of it returning' no more than you should constantly live in fear of being in a car crash or getting hit by a bus. It took me a while to reach that point but I finally got there.

I understand that most of you are in survival mode right now. That tunnel vision is that focused completely on getting better but soon the day will come when you wake up from that and learn to live your life again. It will not be as it was before. It some ways it will be better believe it or not because you will have new attitudes about so many things and things will not be taken for granted.

Posted By: Eileen
Date Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 8:57am
I am a 3 year survivor. I still worry when I hav a doctors appointment or mammo coming up. I am trying to live each day.
Eileen

-------------
DX:2/08,3/08 lumpectomy with SNB, clear margins, no lymph node involvement, 4 cycles A/C (dose dense) every 2 weeks, 4 cycles Taxol (dose dense) every 2 weeks, 33 rads finished 9/08, BRCA 1 and 2 neg

Posted By: Olivia
Date Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 9:15am
Kitkat ~ I have close to the same stats as you. I'm not happy that there's someone else in my shoes but it's comforting to know that someone else understands how I'm feeling. WE are survivors! We have been cleared and we don't have cancer! I believe that. It's the only way to truly live past the fear. I draw my strength from God and reading his word. Phillipians 4:13 says We can do all things through Him. I remind myself of that everyday. I've decided to live for each day I'm given and I'm smiling more everyday, finally.

Elfdream ~ That is comforting to know. I hope others will stop to post and give us more encouragement. Thank you for sharing.

Gail

-------------
34yo Metaplastic TNBC 06/10 stage I grade 3 Taxol x6 AC x4 Bilat Mast with recon 0/2 nodes no rads 01/11 NED

Posted By: trip2
Date Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 9:38am
Hello Elfdream and welcome.  Thank you so much for sharing your story and congratulations on your eight years.

I am out 7 years but have had tnbc twice during that time.

We have had several long timers come back to post, they come and go but have gotten
busy with life again.  There is a thread here, more than one I think, try the search box, long time survivors or something similar, lots of posts.

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Posted By: mainsailset
Date Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 3:18pm
I'm 2 years this week from finishing up chemo and this July will be my 3 yr anniversary from original dx. Each day seems to get better, it's a slow process but I couldn't have come as far as I have without the support and friendship of the members here.

-------------
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear

Posted By: Alison41
Date Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 4:17pm
I am a 2 and half year survivor will be 3 years clear in October.  I live each day as it comes, like most women on this site reoccurence is always in the back of your mind, but I have my three beautiful daughters and a husband who get me through each day.  One daughter is quadraplegic and brain damaged so I count myself privilaged to be chosen to look after her so cancer has not room in my life.

I was saying to my friend today who has breast cancer it is an inconvenience in my life.  Support here has been paramount in getting me through my darkest days in the early stages.

Many thanks to all.

Alison

-------------
diagnosed Sep08,TNBC IDC 5cm tumour, 1+ node, Mastectomy and Axilla dissection May09, 4 of Fec and 4 of Taxotare. 15 Rounds of Radiotherapy. 2.5 years from diagnosis. Reconstruction November2010.

Date Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 6:02pm
Thank you so Very much!!  And congratulations on your anniversary'sssssss!!!

Just got back from my 3month check up..Cancer Free..YESSSS!!

I guess I worry because so many of you have the same stats as me, but have had more aggressive chemo.  That's what reallt scars me. Thank you  all for responding, if really does help :)

Dx 6/10 age 49 IDC grade 3 clear nodes (2 removed) 4x TC 25 radiation, with 7 boost ( I had a 1 millimeter margin on my chest wall, tumor was at the bottm of my chest, about 1 inch from the center of my chest....not where you would think breast cancer would be?)) My surgeon said it had been there awhile..scarey!!

Posted By: sharon in Mich
Date Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 12:27pm
Hi--I am just celebrating my 6 year post dx NED today.  Hang in there everyone.  A lot of us make it--more and more as they learn more thanks to this foundation.

Sharon

-------------
dx 03/05 tn with lymph involvement, dd neo adjuvant AC+taxol, bil 08/05, 38 rads, BRCA-, NED.

Posted By: Neal
Date Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 2:34pm
I will be 3 years this Sept.  and have days now when I "forget" about cancer completely for short periods of time. You never forget totally but it does get better with time. Those days of crying for hours on end seem like a long time ago. Life seems so much sweeter now too and little things do not effect me like they used to. On to fighting osteoporisis now!!! Just lay down the what if's and try and live every day to the fullest and remember it is out of your hands.

-------------
DX 09/29/2008 Tn Grade 3 2A 2M/Lumpt. 10/08 SN Negative
ACT/Avastin Trial Placebo/Rad. NED Age 53---2 Sons

Posted By: BreastFree
Date Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 2:58pm
I want to know when you count from? The date the lump was found? The Date my breasts left? Or when I finished treatments? What date you all use? July it will be my 3 yr. since  finding the lump.

-------------
I'm Breast-Free By Choice!
Aug.2008 TNBC Surgery Left Breast & 27 Lymph Nodes 3 Positive , Oct.2008 8 rounds of Chemo,May 2009
28 Radiation,Sept.2009 had right breast removed.

Posted By: denise07
Date Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 3:42pm
My onc says to count from the day of surgery.

Date Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 3:55pm
Thank You Denise!!

-------------
Aug.2008 TNBC Surgery Left Breast & 27 Lymph Nodes 3 Positive , Oct.2008 8 rounds of Chemo,May 2009

Posted By: Alison41
Date Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 4:07pm
Does the day you count from ie. the day of surgery if you have that first or do you count from the day your chemo finished.  I had neoadjuvant chemo so when I had surgery the tumour was almost gone apart from 2mm.  My onc counts from the day I was diagnosed.

-------------
diagnosed Sep08,TNBC IDC 5cm tumour, 1+ node, Mastectomy and Axilla dissection May09, 4 of Fec and 4 of Taxotare. 15 Rounds of Radiotherapy. 2.5 years from diagnosis. Reconstruction November2010.

Date Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 5:33pm
See everyone has a different one! So I don't what date to use.

-------------

Date Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 6:00pm
I would just ask your doctor about it. Mine says from the day I had my tumor removed.

Posted By: Autumn10182001
Date Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 6:50pm
mine says the last day of treatment... i would prefer day the tumor was removed...

-------------
DX2/99 Stg I,ER+PR+ Chemo lumpectomy - Neg nodes,rads, tamox,femara. DX4/09, Stg IIB /III, TNBC IDC, Grade III, 2.5CM, mastectomy. 4AC DD,12 wkly taxol,BRAC1&2Neg, Right Mast 11/25/09

Posted By: mainsailset
Date Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 6:59pm
My doctor told me to count from the day of my mast (after chemo) but the thread I started here last month that gave stats for us was using date of dx. Be sure to always check the wording, sometimes you'll see 'survival rate' sometimes you'll see 'recurrence'. I'll go back and look up thread for ya.  Couldn't find the thread, but here's an article, scroll on down to Survival Analysis
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cncr.24573/pdf - http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cncr.24573/pdf

-------------
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear

Posted By: grandma
Date Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 8:16pm
Hi - I am new here and am not sure how I found this website but perhaps I was supposed to find it for you. I, too had Triple Negative breast cancer in 1988. I was 38 years old and had just had my fourth child. We found the tumor while being discharged from the hospital after having our daughter and almost didn't go to the doctor thinking it must be an infected milk duct or something.Turned out to be 3 cm ductal and after aspiration (with no good results) the surgeon sent me to the hospital and within one week of having our daughter I had a mastectomy and started chemo  3 weeks after that. There were no lymph nodes involved which surprised everyone but  the surgeon told us that due to the size and location of the tumor he thought I had about 5 years.Seems that surgeons weren't very touchy-feely back then!! I prayed to see my daughter grow up and this January she graduated from nursing school and passed her state boards to be an RN. She will be married in October to a wonderful boy - we also have two perfect grandchildren!! Life is still good. I am cancer free and have been since the operation although we also went through years of 6 month check-ups and waiting and hoping after every test. I really think that was the worst part. But now I can truly say that days go by and I don't think of cancer at all!!

YOU CAN MAKE IT AND YOU WILL BE HAPPY AGAIN! It sounds impossible, I know, but believe that there is a future for you and the ones you love. God is beside you. I will pray for you and everyone who is dealing with this illness that  soon you will not think of yourself as a victim because you  ARE A SURVIVOR!! God bless you and your loved ones.
grandma.

Posted By: LauraT
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 8:30am

Grandma - thank you so much for your encouragement!!  It helps to hear that there are long-time survivors out there.  Enjoy the wedding!!

Laura

-------------
DX 10/09 @44, Stage I IDC tnbc, DCIS other side, Neoadjuvant TCx4, Bilateral Mastectomy w/Recon 1/10, 1.2cm 0/7 Nodes, 5/11 Mets to Lungs/Lymph Nodes, Avastin/Taxol, 10/11 Bone Mets, Xgeva

Posted By: Charlene
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 10:47am
Grandma,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your posting!  It is so wonderful to hear stories like yours!

Charlene

-------------
DX 3/10 @59 ILC/TNBC
Stage 1, Grade 2, Multifocal; Lumpectomy/re-excision
SNB 0/4 nodes, BRCA-; Taxotere/Cytoxan X4, 30 rads
3/14:NED

Posted By: Barbi
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 11:07am
Thanks Grandma.  You know how much your post means to us all!
Barbi

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 11:26am
Grandma we are so happy you found us, congratulations and hope to hear more from you in the future.

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Posted By: jadesloge
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 6:55pm
I don't post here much. I am just a few months shy of 3 years. I have had the usual ups and downs and a couple of small scares, but overall, nothing but good health. I even went about two years without getting a cold! Last summer I did 3 short triathlons and this summer, I plan to do 4! It will get better, it takes some mental work and for me a lot of praying, but it will get better....I also feel blessed because I have made a great friend who went through nearly the same treatment as me at roughly the same time. We are our own little support group. It does get better!

Posted By: Lillie
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 11:56pm
Hello KitKat,
June 9th will be 5 years since my diagnosis. June 15th will be 5 years since my mastectomy. November 15 will be five years since my last treatment.

I'm going to claim my diagnosis date to begin my 5 years. I've had some scares and stressors along the way. Those 3 mo. follow-up and 6 mo. follow-up jitters. It is getting better and I thank all who have taken time to post here to share your story with us. We all need to hear the long time survivor stories.

Thanks to all of you.
God Bless,
Lillie

-------------
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED

Posted By: mamawof4
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 12:30am
APRIL 9 will be two years for me that I got the dreaded call from my surgeon to say it was cancer. She cried, I cried, and my wonderful hubby cried. And I was at my mothers grave when she called. It was my moms birthday and it was just one year that she was gone. And I was already crying. So to hear that it was cancer really broke my heart. But this year I will vist her cancer free. Thank God and for my wonderful family I made it. And yes I still live in fear with every ache and pain. I am getting to be false alarm queen of the family. I still have body aches with fibro and arthritis. And now I have two pinched nerves in my lower spine. So I have more surgeries looking at me in May. But I am a SURVIVOR AND I WILL SURVIVE. :)

-------------
dx 4/9/09 with stage 2a grade 3,one node cancerous, lumpectony,10 radiation treats via mamma site,8 chemo treat with 4 a/c and 4 iexempra thur clinical trial finished 11/25/09 PALB2 gene+

Posted By: outnumbered
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 7:29am
August will be 3 years for me...  It gets easier with each day. 
Its great to hear from you Grandma.  We all need inspiration from you longtimers! 

-------------
~Sara

DX @ age 40 6/24/08 Stage 1 Grade 3 BRCA1+ 187delAG

BMX (nipple-areola-sparing) 8/5/08

Redo BMX (remove nipple and areola) w/ Lat Flap 7/6/09

BSO 9/3/09

NED since 08/05/2008

Posted By: CTB
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 8:48am
I have a question for those who are long-term survivors and those who are on their way to becoming long-term.( 3 years out or more) Have you made life style changes that you feel were helpful in preventing a recurrence? I think the Oncologists know the drugs and the rads but share little information about elements that may or mat not influence cancer. So my questions are: Did you give up alcohol, whether it is wine, beer, etc? What about sugar? Did you purposefully eliminate this as much as possible? What about eating meat, especially red meat products. Did you switch to organic products? If you were not an exercize person do you now exercize daily or several times a week? Did you incorporate certain supplemetns or vitamins into your daily regime? I know this is a lot of questions but I really am curious as to whether or not long-term survivorship and certain lifestyle changes really are linked. Thanks in advance to those long-term survivors who respond. 

-------------
Dx: 12/10/09; Lumpectomy and SNB 12/28/09 2.0 cm tumor 0/5 nodes; clear margins; TC x4 ended 4/10; 33 rads ended 7/6/10

Posted By: M Alison
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 10:26am
I don't fit your definition of long-term yet, but I will be 3 yrs out in Sept.  I feel great and have no lasting negative physical effects from my ordeal other than the obvious loss of a breast.  I lived a healthy lifestyle before and still got cancer.  So I haven't made that many modifications.  I added daily vit. D, based on information I learned from this site.  I switched to some organic products but not all.  I switched to filtered or bottled water rather than tap.  I quit the artificial sweeteners.  I eat almost no processed foods now.  My husband loves to cook and he makes healthy meals of mostly fish and chicken plus salads and veggies.  I have red meat once/week or less.  I have not given up alchohol, but have cut back some.  I think it is possible that giving it up may lower my risk, but I am not willing to forego the glass of red wine that I share over dinner with my hubby each night.  It adds to the pleasure of living, for me, and I'm not willing to give that up.  I still eat sugar occasionally, I am not willing to give that up either.  As before my dx, I continue to exercise 4-5 days/week, bicycle, walk, watch my weight, and am an overall active person.  I would be doing this regardless of bc, because it adds greatly to my overall health and quality of life.

So other than a few minor changes, no, I haven't changed my lifestyle much.  If I were a young woman with small children to raise I might have made more drastic changes in my diet, but at this stage of my life with my kids grown, I want to enjoy fully whatever time I have left - whether it's one year or 30.

I still worry about a recurrence.  But as time goes on I worry a little less.  I still don't think long-term about my life, not yet.  I look ahead to the next year and hope I'll get through the next vacation, graduation, event, etc.  Then when I make it through, I start looking ahead to the next.

Hope this helps and I wish you and everyone all the best,
Alison

-------------
Age 55, Dx 9-08 TNBC, mast 10-08, stage 2, 1/6 nodes, AC + Taxol + Avastin, rad, BRCA1&2 neg

Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 10:39am
Those are good questions and ever since I joined this group I have been going over what I have and haven't done over the past eight years.

I never drank alcohol so that was never a factor.

I don't exercise all that much. I walk...that's about it.

I don't drink bottled water. Right out of the tap is fine.

Any eggs I eat are  organic/free range.

I gave up  white sugar almost completely. I do not eat anything that has over 10 grams of sugar at the most but I did NOT do this because of the BC. I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I used artificial sweetners until stevia came on the market and then I switched to that.

I do not eat red meat but I never ate red meat all that much to begin with. I do eat LOTS of fish.

I did not take any supplements of any kind. I try to get my nutrients through a balanced diet.

I am lactose intolerant so I don't eat a lot of diary. Once again..calcium through diet. A cup of spinach goes a long way. :)

No processed foods. We don't even have a microwave. Almost everything is cooked 'from scratch'.

I keep my room very dark at night and try to get at least 30 minutes of sunlight a day without sunscreen.

I can't think of anything else. I hope it helps but it might end up confusing you. Hope not.

Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 11:11am
I am also not that far out yet, but here is what I do.

I now see a nutritionist and try to eat a healthier, lower carb, higher protein diet.  She has actually given me a supermarket tour and has shown me many healthy options that I would not have normally tried.  Other options that I thought were healthy, I found out are not.  I began this mostly to contend with weight gain which I thought was a result of surgical menopause.  I have come to find out that it was from the effexor which I was given to combat hot flashes.  I am now off of the effexor, and have lost weight. 

I am really trying to exercise more.  I just started yoga. 

I do not drink.

I LOVE red meat and chocolate.  I limit this. 

I take a weekly 10000 IU D3 supplement.

OK, Please do not yell at me, but...
I recently participated in a round table discussion with research MDs regarding environmental effects on breast cancer.  The concensus was that it is not necessary to go organic.  The amount of toxins in our everyday foods are not concentrated enough to cause any harm.  The testing done on the toxins are done at extremely high concentrated amounts, much higher than normal intake, therefore the results misrepresent the danger.  Also, many foods that are labeled organic are not truely organic.  It is felt the most harm we do to ourselves is to not eat a BALANCED diet, and to not exercise.  Excess body fat and inactivity are larger risk factors.  If we are eating a healthy diet, that of course will cut out much of the sugar in our diets. 

That all being said, I tried to go organic a few years back, and my family revolted.  Its also really expensive.  For me, I have found that if I go on a drastic diet that makes me feel deprived, I will eventually flip out and binge.  Now that I am making heathier chioces, I am doing fine and this has become more of a way of life than a diet. 

-------------
~Sara

BSO 9/3/09

NED since 08/05/2008

Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 12:01pm
We aren't going to yell at you! The only reason I eat the 'organic' eggs is because I found that 'regular' eggs gave me gas and stomach aches. :)

Posted By: paula
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 1:23pm
I'm a 7 year survivor.

I was diagnosed at the age of 43.  I originally had a lumpectomy but in March of 2009 I decided to have a prophylactic mastectomy (I ended up obsessing over whether the cancer would return in my breasts). I had a total hysterectomy at age 34 so I did not have to worry about cervical/uterine/ ovarian cancers.

I only received 2 cycles of CEF because I developed Capillary Leakage Syndrome and they had to take me off chemo.  The onc told me I can never have chemo again and that the syndrome is permanent. As well I developed chronic pain in my lower back which is a problem for me and hypothyroidism.  I had 25 sessions of rads with 5 rad boost sessions to both the back and front of my clavicle and the entire left side area. I feel optimistic but will not feel like I'm free until I reach the 10 year mark.

My friend was NED for 7 1/2 years when her TNBC came back she died last year.  I really miss her.  I look at is as the glass half full and it gives to me hope that i will be around to see my grandchildren grown.  My son and his wife are expecting identical twin girls.  This is there 1st pregnancy.

I still worry about it coming back to bite me in the butt. I think this is a natural reaction to the unknown. I lost my daughter 13 years ago so I'm not afraid of dying, it is in the suffering of the disease that scares me. 

God decides who lives and dies, who must suffer losses.  He has a plan and we must have blind faith that when it is our time He will call us home, but in the mean time live each day as if it is your last and take time to enjoy sites, sounds and life around you.

-------------
DX Feb 4, 2004
Lft NST IDC, 1.1 x 0.5 x 0.4 cm,
Stage 1, GR 3, 1 of 17 nodes
CEF 2 of 6 cycles
30 Rads w 6 boosts
Regina, Sk Canada

Posted By: paula
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 1:32pm
The only life style change I really made was to quit smoking.

I am taking B12 because it is low, a multi-vitamin, Flax oil to lower my cholosteral, calcium and vitamin D3 and Magnesium Citrate.

I try to eat relatively healthy but that doesn't always happen

I'm caucasion, obese, have problems with exercise due to chronic back pain and problems with my shoulders, neck, knees, feet, toes.

But so far so good

-------------
DX Feb 4, 2004
Lft NST IDC, 1.1 x 0.5 x 0.4 cm,
Stage 1, GR 3, 1 of 17 nodes
CEF 2 of 6 cycles
30 Rads w 6 boosts
Regina, Sk Canada

Posted By: janet c.
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 1:35pm
I was just a 2yr. survivor 12/30/10. As soon as I was diagnosed I started to take vitamin D with D3 and fish oil. I am a type1 diabetic and was told to switch to Stevia so I did. I made sure I excercised until I had hurt my foot and I am now getting back into it. My oncologist just told me to only have 30grams of fat per day. I never drank any alcohol before dx. and still don't because of my diabetes.

-------------
dx 12/08 @47yrs.old TNBC stage 2a grade 3, 2.1cm. partial mastectomy sentinal node negative BRACA negative Cytocan/Taxatere x4 radiation 36 or 38rounds

Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 1:41pm
My nutritionist has recommended organic eggs as a treat and there is a farm nearby.  Maybe I will find myself there soon.  My kids and husband eat eggs often (me-not so much).  They also raise pheasant at that farm, so perhaps I will try those eggs as well. 

-------------
~Sara

BSO 9/3/09

NED since 08/05/2008

Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 1:58pm
I had a total hysterectomy as well. I had some  non cancer medical issues going on.

I pretty much use olive oil and spreads like smart balance for my fat. The 'good' fat. I also try to keep it down below 30 Grams a day.

Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 2:54pm
I will be 3 and a half years out april 3rd, I try to eat healther.

Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 7:18pm
I have changed my eating, last night we made Turkey-Taco with ground turkey that is...They were so good. I do Love Veggies & Fruit, don't get enough I'm sure. I've been really down lately. In Aug. it will 3 yrs. Since I had surgery. 

-------------

Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 8:39pm
Thank you all for responding
There are lots of questions for all of us...so many
Diet...I now take D3 gel caps, its supposed to absorb better. Tumeric for inflammtion (health store) calcium, biotin (to help my hair grow back faster) Still have wine or beer. I do try to watch what i eat.  I juice at least once a week
12 carrots
3-4 stalks celery
3-4 apples
1 lemon
1 head of brocolli   husband and son wont touch it, but it really is good, makes digestion better also

I also have been buying meat from my neighbor who has farm raise cattle for when I do eat meat.  I try to eat more fish, salmon and tuna.
49 yrs DX 6-10 IDC stage 1, gr 3, lumpectomy (w/ microvascular invasion of the tumor) 1.3 cm  4xTC 25 rads w/ 7 boost ( had 1mm margin on chest wall) finished everything the day before thanksgiving (great time to be Thankful) which is when my oncoligist said would be my survivorship date.
I wish they can find a cure for this ..SOON!
Take Care all of my BC family.  You have made me feel better. I do feel I can Never let my guard down.  Kathy
I have always walked and still do.  I am 5-3 and about 130 lbs

Posted By: dmwolf
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 9:35pm
Kathy, it's great to eat well and exercise, but don't beat yourself up if you don't do everything 'perfectly'.  Whether or not cancer recurs might not have that much to do with what we eat or what we do.  Every study that has found a positive result using diet has been overturned by a subsequent study.  Like the very low fat WINS diet, overturned on the bigger study that followed (don't remember the acronym at the moment).  So.....it comes back or it doesn't.    Live well, take care of yourself, but don't agonize over a piece of cake.  We have seen our share of women completely deprive themselves for years only to recur and be PISSED at all that discipline for nothing.    The fact is, it is out of our control.  It would be great if there was something we could do to protect ourselves, but there probably isn't.  The best we might hope for is a small delay in the onset of image-visible metastatic disease if it is in the cards for us.  Luckily, for most of us it is NOT in the cards to have a recurrence.  Most of us are cured after treatment, though of course one never knows how the chips will land.    I guess the best we can do is live fully so that if whatever year we are in happens to be our last year of good health, we make it a damn good one.    One side of this is fear, but the flip side is incredible joy and gratitude.  We are ALIVE -  TODAY!
love,
Denise  (who started running recently, not because I think it will save my life, but because it makes the life I have - however long or short - much more satisfying with a heart-fit body)

-------------
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.

Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 12:11pm
Today well this week I felt bad, sad, empty, lonely, I'm sure there is more! For some reason it's just really getting to me this week. Don't know what it really is, but there is some Anger!!!!! It just keep Boiling Up! My Mind goes in so many different ways! Trying to Slow it down!
Ok I guess I'm done for now thanks for listen!!!

-------------

Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 1:00pm
Thank you again to all, especially Denise and Alison,

I think it helps so much to try to remember that we all (cancer survivors or not) need to appreciate every day that we have.  We have a limited time on earth and we have no way of knowing when our time is up.  Most of the lifestyle recommendations for those of us with TNBC are the same for everyone.  I mean who shouldn't try to eat less fat and sugar and exercise more?  I think the key has to be in finding some balance between healthy habits and enjoying life.  No one is ever going to conquer mortality.   And, to "BreastFree," we all have times like you are describing.  I hope you feel better fast!

Charlen

-------------
DX 3/10 @59 ILC/TNBC

Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 1:27pm

-------------

Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 4:16pm
So can anyone help with Anger, how you coped with it. I'm thinking that's what it is along with everything else.HELP

-------------

Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 4:56pm
Hi Breast-Free,
Do you have anything going on in your life that could cause anger? Are you normally an angry person?

Sometimes I "snap my husbands head off" and I realize I'm taking my anger out on him. Sometimes I speak too harshly to people and don't have a good reason. I believe the stress of life and "living beyond TN breast cancer" takes its toll on us and we don't know what to do with it. I sometimes feel as if I had never had cancer I would be the happiest person in the world, but that is not realistic.

I think we all fall into those funks and just have to let some time pass until we get to the other side of it. You are in good company.

God Bless,
Lillie

-------------
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.

Posted By: Genie
Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 12:39am
Celebrating today (April Fool's Day) the 3rd anniversary of my bilateral mastectomy which is when my onc counts from. Other than having to have a total thyroidectomy about 1 year after my original diagnosis due to pre-cancerous cells in 2 large nodules, I am doing well. I thank God every day for one more day. Since my diagnosis, my outlook on life has changed in so many ways. Each day each family member and each friend have become more precious than ever. I would never wish cancer on anyone but I will say that I have been the recipient of so many blessings in the last 3 years.

I try to live each day so that God's love is evident in me and this prayer by Roy Lessin really says what is in my heart. May you all receive a blessing by reading this prayer.

Prayer for the Day
Father, through my face may your light shine;
Through my voice may your praise be heard;
Through my hands may your works be extended;
Through my life may your grace abound;
Through my heart may your love be known.

Love & hugs from San Antonio, Texas,
Genie

-------------
DX 3/10/08 at age 67, IDC. Stage 1, Grade 3, 1.5 cm.
KI-67 99% at MX . Bilateral mastectomy 4/1/08 Node-, BRCA 1/2-,BARD1+, TX:Cytoxan/Taxotere x4,3 in family with TNBC

Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 12:46am
Congratulations Genie!

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 8:40am
I have to be honest and say that any lifestyle changes that I have made were not to stop a re-occurrence of cancer. Some were because I wanted to prevent diabetes (have two brothers with it and its not pretty) and to try and minimize the risk of heart disease and reduce the pain of fibroymyalgia. So far it has worked...although I do need to work on walking more.

Since I last posted I decided to start taking a 'Fish, Flaxseed, Borage Oil, Omega 3,6,9' supplement. That's a mouth full of a description isn't it?LOL Its all in one pill. This particular one is made by Spring Valley. I'm not a big one for taking extras but I don't think this one will hurt. I've also decided to go 'gluten' free but that is to determine whether or not I have a wheat allergy.  So far my digestive system is quiet today so there might be something to that.LOL

Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 8:27pm
Genie, Congratulations on 3yrs. and I wish you many, many more.

Breast Free ,
What exactly are you angry about? Is it because you had tnbc? I think you should try to focus on the positives , like in august you will be a survivor for 3yrs. which is a very good thing. The odds of a recurrence drops after that and continues going down. If you make it 8yrs. they consider you cured. I find praying helps me get through anything. I hope you feel better soon and if you don't maybe you could go to some professional. Good luck and I hope you feel better.

-------------
dx 12/08 @47yrs.old TNBC stage 2a grade 3, 2.1cm. partial mastectomy sentinal node negative BRACA negative Cytocan/Taxatere x4 radiation 36 or 38rounds

Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 11:44pm
Janet c., thank you for the good wishes!!!

Hugs, Genie

-------------
KI-67 99% at MX . Bilateral mastectomy 4/1/08 Node-, BRCA 1/2-,BARD1+, TX:Cytoxan/Taxotere x4,3 in family with TNBC

Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 9:35am
Breastfree:

I am not surprise you feel anger.  There are many frustrations not only in breast cancer care but in any illness - the bills, the unsatisfactory care you might encounter some days, the stares of people, the feeling that people expect you to be suddenly happy when your treatment has ended but you might not feel it. 

I am speaking from personal and professional experience - it's not abnormal.  One of the first things they do with open heart surgery patients (in MANY cases) is put them on an antidepressant.

I agree.  Talk with a doctor or counselor.  Try something and don't beat yourself up.
Barbi

Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 12:29pm
Janet c, do you have a study/link/research article that we could look at showing that after 8 yrs we are considered cured.  Thanks!

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 2:39pm
Thank You all!!!
I'm feeling some what better! Now that I'm finding out I'm Normal what ever Normal is...
Getting my Focus Changed!!!!!
God Bless You ALL!
Have a Great DAY!!

-------------

Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 5:13pm
Pam,
I am sorry I don't really remember exactly which article I read it from since I tend to read everything possible. I don't really even know how to put up a link, although if I can find it I will ask one of my children to do it for me.

-------------

Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 5:21pm
Thank you Janet..I understand, we read so many, no problem.

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Posted By: rigatonismom
Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 6:06pm
Hi All,
The discussion about when you start counting interests me.  I had neoadjunct chemo and will have  surgery April 11.  It we count from when the tumor comes out, I can't even start counting yet, though I have been through 6 months of chemo.  No one can find my tumor anymore (that happened after the first chemo treatment) so maybe I can use that date. 
Nita

-------------
DX 09/10 TNBC Stage3c, grade3, Tumor 2.7cm, chemo started 9/29/10, AC x4, Taxol x12, lumpectomy 4/11/11-tumor .6cm, 3+/22 nodes, radiation x 30 finished 6/30/11.Clinical Trial Cisplatin,PARP 8/23/11

Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 6:57pm
Nita,
Congratulations on the chemo working, that is wonderful news! Technically you can even count from the date of dx. if you wanted to because you are surviving from then. A lot of people count from their surgeries and some people count from the last day of treatment. It really is a personal decision which one you want to use. After your first chemo when your tumor disappeared sounds like a perfect date to me. All the best to you!

-------------

Posted By: rigatonismom
Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 7:28pm
Thank you janet c.  I agree.  I think I will say that 10/20/10 is the beginning of my survivorship.  That's when the onc couldn't find the tumor anymore.

Nita

-------------
DX 09/10 TNBC Stage3c, grade3, Tumor 2.7cm, chemo started 9/29/10, AC x4, Taxol x12, lumpectomy 4/11/11-tumor .6cm, 3+/22 nodes, radiation x 30 finished 6/30/11.Clinical Trial Cisplatin,PARP 8/23/11

Posted By: TracyAMac
Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 8:26pm
Genie - congrats on reaching the 3 year milestone - keep going girl!!

Dear Breast Free -I think we can all relate to the anger issues. Lord knows I have been there many times. Sometimes I deal with it by reminding myself that there are so many who face even more challenges than I do...I also found the support group I was in to be a help though at times it could also reduce me to tears, but maybe that was a good thing.  Last but not least, this group is so supportive if you ever need to vent.  We don't judge because we know what it is like

Tracy in Toronto

-------------
TN&non-TN tumors April/10 Gr3&2;1 metaplastic
Rmast.1/9 nodes w/isolated t.cells
Taxotere&Cytoxan x6
Bone cancer 1980 age17;surgery&chemo AC+Methotrexate
BRCA-ve
On hormone therapy & Metformin Trial

Date Posted: Apr 04 2011 at 12:45am
Thank You Tracy, Thank YOU!!!

-------------

Date Posted: Apr 04 2011 at 6:33pm
Thank you, Tracy! I definitely plan to "keep going".

-------------

Posted By: kazza1
Date Posted: Apr 05 2011 at 8:41pm

I always thought it was the last day of treatment - which put me 1 year survivor on the day of the Christchurch earthquake - NZ's most significant natural disater in decades - where so many lost their lives at a moments notice with no chance to fight.  I also cannot help but realise that on that day as the city shook, some poor families were facing DX at the same time as losing their homes, Jobs, friends and family.   While it puts things into perspective for me and makes me realise how lucky I have been, I would prefer not to use that day to celebrate life.

So I am going with DX day which makes me TWO years out on the 24th June. Yippee

Had a three monthly checkup last week in which the ONC asked me to go and have a chest Xray the following day - then yesterday I got the phone call from the hospital to say he has ordered a CT - says there is a subtle change in the chest XRay that he wants checked.  Bit scary but sure it is nothing.  I am still a smoker which I am sure is what is casuing my cough and change in XRay.  If only I would give up smoking I could probably avoid those horrible call backs. Still does not stop the anxiety and makes the heart flutter a little.  Looking forward to wearing the drama queen gown - yet again.

For every day that we can laugh, smile and appreciate the small things in life we are survivors. Doesn't happen every day but the days it does makes everything we go through more worthwhile

Hugs & best wishes to all
Kazza from kiwiland.

Posted By: zoomommy2
Date Posted: Apr 05 2011 at 10:36pm
Kazza,
You pick whatever day you like!  If feeling like you are nearly to 24 months out, go for it!  Girl, you should ditch those cigarettes!  You are burning your candle at both ends!  I hope your CT turns out ok.
Lee in Denver

-------------
dx6/09,stageII,gr3,(L)mastectomy 7/09,ACx4,Taxolx7,Avastin study,gall bladder surgery 1/10,4/11 Stage 4, mets to lung, 4/11 Started Taxotere and Xeloda, 5/11 Taxotere stopped, off Xeloda

Date Posted: Apr 06 2011 at 11:30am
Kazza hoping you find nothing serious is wrong and hope you find out soon as to avoid the anxiety of it all!  Let us know..

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Posted By: alexanjb
Date Posted: Apr 10 2011 at 5:58pm
I was a one year survivor in March 2011.  I was told to count from the day of diagnosis, but I had the surgery very close to my diagnosis, so it has been one year either way.  I like what was said about not worrying about a car accident every day either.  I had a near miss with someone running a stop sign at at least 65 mph last week, so I know how that is too.  I have to pass the spot every day.  So, yes I can check twice just as I can keep up with my medical follow ups.  It is all we can do.

-------------
Normal Mammo 11/09, Found lump 2/10,Dx IDC TNBC Negative,unilateral mod rad mastectomy,(4)AC, 12 taxol, 6 wks radiation, Stage 3c,Grade 3.8 cm tumor, 11 lymph nodes removed. Age 53 at diagnosis.

Date Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 3:30pm
So I had a Melt-Down a week an half ago, Had to see the Doc, have to get a Chest X-ray but other then that I'm doing alright. In My Melt-Down a Friend called, tomorrow I'm going to Oklahoma She Blessed me with the Ticket!!!!! So We are going to the Pow-WoW..
I found all my paper work from the Labs, of my surgery. So that put me in a tail spin, haven't really read them, so I was a little shocked. Chemo-Brain in Action!!! Wanted to Share my Blessing with you all!
Please Keep in your Prayers as I Travel!! Thank You All!
Have a Great Week!!

-------------

Posted By: TNBC_in_NS
Date Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 5:09pm
Breast Free:  HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU! So glad you are going on a trip! Friends are the best.....
hugs, Helen in NS

-------------
Diag@57TNBC04/092.5cm Lquad 05/09 TCx4Radsx30CT03/01/10 FU03/31/10ClearBRCA- 01/2011 RTNBC BMX 06/14/2011~2013 clear

Date Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 5:38pm
Thank You Helen!!!

-------------

Date Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 7:34pm
Hi Breast Free,

This trip will give you a new outlook on life. I'm glad you have such a good friend.
Was your melt down a "just-because" or is something specific worrying you. Either way I can totally identify. Hope all goes well with the x-ray....and you have Fun at the POW-WOW.

God Bless,
Lillie

-------------
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.

Date Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 8:48am
Hi Lillie,
I'm Looking for that New OUTLOOK!! Thanks. Getting ready to go!!!!!
God Bless you
K

-------------

Date Posted: Jun 29 2011 at 11:47pm
I would love to see more survivors come on board.

-------------
DX Idc 10/07,st2,gr3,2/6 lymphnodes

Date Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 1:49am
Working on eighth year, two diagnoses.

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Date Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 10:51am
Pam,
That is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 11:10am
Congratulations Pam! I wish you many, many, many more, happy,healthy cancer-free years.
Janet

-------------

Date Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 5:20pm
Hi Pam,

Congratulations! 8 years!!!!   Hope your other health problems are stable also.

God Bless,
Lillia

-------------
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.

Date Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 5:24pm
Thank you guys for your kindness and good wishes!

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Posted By: 123Donna
Date Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 7:17pm
Pam,

Great news on 8 years!  I'm so confused about counting.  I feel like my tumor is remedial and I have to start all over.  It was 2 years ago this month I was diagnosed and had surgery.  However, the recurrence was found last October and I just finished treatment. 

Donna

-------------
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Date Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 7:39pm
Donna you are right you know.  I was told by my Onc when I had my second diagnosis in 07 that I would have to start my count all over again which means I am sitting in my 4th year.  I just like the sound of 8 years, have been dealing with it that long that is for sure!Smile

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Date Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 8:04pm
Pam,

Either way, 4 or 8 years sound great to me!  

Hugs,
Donna

-------------
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Date Posted: Jul 01 2011 at 2:55am
It is amazing how cancer can take over our lives can you imagine counting our years I never thought I would.

-------------

Posted By: Raine
Date Posted: Jul 03 2011 at 2:44am
Working on 15 years from my 1st Dx (Dec) and Just hit 5 years from my 2nd Dx

-------------
Raine
Dx Jan 1997 Medullary,6/14 nodes Lumpectomy, Rads & 6xAC
Dx July 2006 IDC, 29/34 nodes, Mastectomy, 4xFEC and 6xTaxol, Rads

Posted By: TNBC_in_NS
Date Posted: Jul 03 2011 at 9:29am
Awesome Raine! You are an inspiration! Thanks....

-------------
Diag@57TNBC04/092.5cm Lquad 05/09 TCx4Radsx30CT03/01/10 FU03/31/10ClearBRCA- 01/2011 RTNBC BMX 06/14/2011~2013 clear

Date Posted: Jul 03 2011 at 5:46pm
Congratulations Raine,

So good to hear from you again. I am a 5 yr. survivor and I enjoy counting every year.

God Bless,
Lillie

-------------
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.

Posted By: scared
Date Posted: Jul 08 2011 at 1:26am
Our oncologist Dr. Kristine Rinn (Swedish Cancer Clinic, Seattle Madison) said that you start counting days from the date of diagnosis.

FYI,

DSG

-------------
Wife diagnosed 7/08 stage 2B 4.78cm with 3 nodes. 15 weeks of Adriamycin and Cytoxin, Mastectomy, 12 weeks of Taxol, and 6.5 weeks of radiation.

Posted By: abcmom
Date Posted: Jul 08 2011 at 4:07pm
I wonder about that too.  I have heard count from diagnosis date and then count by end of chemo date?  Curious to know what everyone thinks??

-------------
Diag 11/06/09 @ 40; Diag w/ TNBC Stage IIA, Grade 3 12/01/09 Node Neg. Dble MX with Recon 12/09 (twice)
Chemo 1/13/10 Chemo done 4/22/10 More recon surg 07/10, PET/CT Scan clear 07/10 NED 07/11

Posted By: Debris
Date Posted: Jul 08 2011 at 4:22pm
Grandma, thank you! And so good to see your "longevity".

As for survival, as far as I am concerned, everyday that I am alive is another day I have survived, regardless of whether it is since Dx or since surgery, or even regardless of the fact that I've been told I will "never" be finished with treatment - which end date some use as the yardstick to be a survivor.

I know it may sound "pollyanna-ish", but I do try to focus on what is good in my life, and enjoy/treasure the here and now, the milestones of everyday life. My hubby and I plan for 5, 10, 15 years from now. If it doesn't come to pass, then that's just the way it is - but we're not going to stop our planning "in case" it doesn't happen.

Well, sorry to be a buttinski, just wanted to share my thoughts on survivorship.

God bless, all - and have a great weekend.

-------------
4/12 Xeloda/Tykerb
2 Carboplatin
12/11 Dx IA
9 Gemzar/Taxotere Dx IBC:FEC
5 Ixempra/Sprycel
2 25 Rad
10/10 BRCA1-/2suv
9 NED
6 Stg4 Grd3 many nodes no Sx/Rad. Taxol/Avastin
06/08 Dx DCIS 0/SN Rads/AIs

Date Posted: Jul 08 2011 at 4:37pm
Deborah,

What you said makes so much sense. For me I'd rather say I'm a 2 year survivor instead of starting the count all over again. I look at things differently too. I plan for the next year, 5 or 10, instead of 50.

Donna

-------------

Date Posted: Jul 08 2011 at 5:10pm
Dear Deborah,
I guess I could be considered Pollyanna-ish also. Although my thinking is influenced by the age I am presently (70).... I do not worry about every detail of life as I once did. I honestly do try to plan and enjoy each day. That is not to say I don't plan for the future, I do. I'm planning to go to the mountains July 18-20 with my bridge buddies. I can hardly wait. We have a new preacher at my church and I'm looking forwarding to the present and future changes and challenges that will come. I know it is my age, but I can't get caught up in the "what ifs" of life as I did when I was younger.   I sometimes wonder if I will see my 19 and 16 year old granddaughters married.
I just live each day for Jesus and the knowledge that no matter what happens, I will be OK.
Again, I know AGE plays a huge factor in my thinking.

God Bless,
Lillie

-------------
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.

Date Posted: Jul 08 2011 at 5:48pm
I agree totally, Deborah, Donna, Lillie.  Each morning when I wake up, I thank God for giving me another day.  I still make plans for the future, but not for too far down the road any more.  None of us (even people who have never had cancer) knows how much time we have and I am extremely thankful for what I have already been given.  BTW--abcmom--my oncologist also counts from day of diagnosis, which I like.  There are too many variables after that!  Have a good weekend everybody!

Charlene

-------------
DX 3/10 @59 ILC/TNBC

Posted By: dmwolf
Date Posted: Jul 08 2011 at 6:46pm
Deborah, your 'butt' is hardly 'inski'.  I love your attitude, and share it in my better moments.   (the whole survivorship thing is pretty confusing and potentially downright offensive to the many, many of us who go on to recur and/or live with metastatic disease).
love,
d

-------------
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.

Posted By: Horse Lover
Date Posted: Jul 08 2011 at 7:31pm
Thank you so very much for sharing your stories of being NED and of surviving 3 years, 5 years, +. This so so heartening; I read every message eagerly and they gave me hope and encouragement. You are the ones I need to think of every day as I fight to round the corner on metastatic TNBC. Thank you for showing us that it can be done! 

-------------
57 years old, mother of two daughters. 5/09 lumpectomy, rad; 3/11 C/T 6X, clear scans; 9/11 bilateral/lymph nodes surgery, NED

Posted By: yowyow
Date Posted: Jul 09 2011 at 10:44pm
Hi all.... just a quick check in

My 5 years from DX was in May - IDC & DCIS and 2+ nodes

Raine, you know your my triple neg poster girl xx

-------------
dx may 06, 1.4cm IDC 5cm DCIS
WLE,re-Exc, skin & nipple sparing Bilat mast, 2/14+ 6xFEC NED

Date Posted: Jul 10 2011 at 10:50am
Thanks ladies for sharing those wonderful anniversaries! It gives us all a reminder that it is the norm, not the exception!

Posted By: Lisa L
Date Posted: Jul 10 2011 at 3:44pm
I will be six years from dx in August.  I have heard that since you are diagnosed with cancer, and you are surviving it at that point, you use that date. Hug

-------------
Dx 8/05 age 43
mast & lat flap 10/05
Triple neg
BRCA neg
IDC 4.5cm rt br
0/1 sen node
6 A/C 5 Taxol, 25 rads 11/05-6/06
Central Illinois
Currently NED

Posted By: Georgia
Date Posted: Jul 10 2011 at 8:51pm
Lets hear it for the Survivors!
I know of five in Arkansas, myself included! Since ending treatment last November, I rarely post. However, I visit most everyday! I can testify that the people here are very informed and genuine in there efforts.
 The educational brochure is EXACTLY what we needed, as many arent aware of our subtypes. You will find that we are all committed  to the "cause" and that each of us have our unique spiritual gifts to offer one another. As for me, I did a fundraiser, and sometimes speak. (You can go to the "get involved" and view "Help find Lucky")
 My prayer for you is that you find peace in all things. Trust in the Lord for he is our God and we his people. 

Your sister in Cancer and Christ
Georgia Lewis

-------------
DX 02/2010,IDC-TNBC,Grade3, Stage 2A,1 positive node.

Posted By: Susie
Date Posted: Jul 11 2011 at 10:04am
I will be a 3 yr survivor in October. I am thankful for each day, but I honestly never forget it. Lately, and I don't know why, I am a little anxious that I am going to have a recurrence.. Weird..

-------------
dx 10/08,age 56,.75 cm. Stage1 Grade3,lumpectomy,SN neg..,AC 12/08-02/09,35rads,03/09-05/09,BRCA2+(E1415X),06/09,oophorectomy 10/09,
Zometa - IV/mo.,07/09-08/10, lumpectomy #2 10/20/10 NED

Posted By: snowflake1977
Date Posted: Jul 11 2011 at 4:58pm
I am 33 years old and was diagnasoed with tnbc in october 2010.Im still very scared with having this cancer from reading alot of diffrent stories on it.How did you cope with it?Did you get on any special diets after your treatments?Im very happy to hear your 8 years cancer free,your story gave me strength.

Posted By: abcmom
Date Posted: Jul 11 2011 at 10:11pm
Thanks ladies!!!

-------------
Diag 11/06/09 @ 40; Diag w/ TNBC Stage IIA, Grade 3 12/01/09 Node Neg. Dble MX with Recon 12/09 (twice)
Chemo 1/13/10 Chemo done 4/22/10 More recon surg 07/10, PET/CT Scan clear 07/10 NED 07/11

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net