URL: http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=13761
Printed Date: Mar 28 2024 at 3:10pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Disappointed with results so far
Posted By: ClareSim88
Subject: Disappointed with results so far
Date Posted: Dec 08 2020 at 7:19pm
 Hi,

my mum was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer in July. Her tumour was 5cm and 2 positive lymph nodes under arm.

She had 9 x weekly PC chemo and has had 2 x EC chemo, with the last one being this week..

She had an mri scan after the 7th weekly PC chemo and today she received the results.

Sadly, the scan only showed a 5mm shrinkage of the tumour. There was talk of the volume within the tumour reducing , but not too sure what this would indicate.

It could have been worse news, but we are very disappointed as we were hoping for more shrinkage after 7 weeks of chemo, especially as I had heard that triple negative cancer responds well to chemo.

We were hoping for a complete response, but maybe we won’t get that now?

Anyone experienced anything similar? 

Thanks x

Replies:
Posted By: SagePatientAdvocates
Date Posted: Dec 09 2020 at 12:35pm
Dear Clare,

Thank you for writing. I am sorry your mum did not have a better result. 

Unfortunately, there is some TNBC that seems to be chemo-resistant at times. 

I am a patient advocate working on a volunteer basis for SAGE Patient Advocates(SAGE), a non-profit foundation, and I have helped several hundred women on this site over the last 11+ years. I am not a medical professional and I will not give you/your mum medical advice but I am hoping I can be a useful resource for you. There are Breast Medical Oncologists, in the UK, who are experts in TNBC and hopefully I can help secure a consult, IF you are interested.

There are no charges to you/your mum, from myself or SAGE.

Please send me a PM and I will be happy to invite you to a Zoom conference or have an email conversation. Will also send you my phone number.

sometimes I don't receive PM so you can also send me an email at 

contact@sagepatientadvocates.info

warmly,

Steve

-------------
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates

Posted By: clifford1
Date Posted: Dec 12 2020 at 3:13pm
Steve,

You are the best for offering to assist Clare.

Also, you are one of the few individuals who will express that some subtypes of TN are chemo resistant. Also, I appreciate it when you shared information on getting your tumor tested. These are the messages that patients are not getting or hearing. I get it. Patients want to be positive and want to have positive outcomes. That is why I pray daily that research focuses more on TNBC subtypes. We need targeted treatments for the different subtypes.

Thank you for all you do.

Posted By: SagePatientAdvocates
Date Posted: Dec 13 2020 at 12:58am
Dear Clifford,

I feel truly blessed to be a Patient Advocate and your kind words re-invigorate my efforts.

with my love to all here,

Steve

-------------
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates

Posted By: 123Donna
Date Posted: Dec 13 2020 at 12:34pm
Clifford1,

I ditto and agree with everything you said.

Donna

-------------
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net