Print Page | Close Window

I guess I better buckle up...

Printed From: TNBC Foundation
Category: TNBC Forums
Forum Name: Welcome New Members
Forum Description: A place to introduce yourself to our community
Printed Date: Oct 03 2023 at 7:54pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 -

Topic: I guess I better buckle up...
Posted By: Baybeh
Subject: I guess I better buckle up...
Date Posted: Apr 09 2020 at 12:35am
So here it is, my biggest fear of my entire life, come to fruition right before my eyes. I was diagnosed in March, with TNBC as well as her2+ tumors. The TNBC HAS spread to my lymph node, but no where distant. TNBC is what killed both my mom and my grandma. I always knew this is what would get me, I had a plan of action, it didn't include treatment (or even diagnosis) when the cancer came.. But then I met my husband. So when I found the lump.. my instinct was to continue with my plan of inaction, but I realized how devastated I would be if he knew he had some thing killing him and chose to pretend nothing was wrong. So we discussed it. I got diagnosed, the irony is that the lump I found is the her2+ tumor.. its 2x as big as that TNBC, but the TNBC is already in my lymph node. It's so insidious. I call my her2+ cancer my 'good cancer' now. Sooo my oncologist told me chemo. Now. Like last week. Covid or not. But my insurance company decided to fk me over, they've opened a ' pre-existing condition investigation' which freezes all my benefits, and could take "some time" to complete under normal non covid circumstances. So the hosp is now considering me self pay- so they want 1/2 the cost of chemo up front to start (35k.. is  50% of the self pay discounted rate of 70k) and so that's where it stands.. I can wait out but who knows how long they can drag this out, or to hire a lawyer (but courts are closed) , or try to come up with a way to finance this. Or I guess they will refer me to the state hospital, get whatever random Dr, but they will start treatment and I'll just owe the money, this is all so flipping crazy. And I'm terrified.

Posted By: James123
Date Posted: Apr 09 2020 at 8:07am
Have you considered your University Hospital system?  Most University Hospital systems are research centers.  I would get a second opinion from your local university hospital

Posted By: Baybeh
Date Posted: Apr 09 2020 at 7:18pm
Several issues at play in that, I'm already 25k in debt for testing etc. And time is of the essence, so starting this whole process over with a new doctor seems 1000% overwhelming. I feel relatively certain that my oncologist gave me all my options insofar as what is available to me (she was very clear that I need to weigh my options-including the financial ramifications-myself) and it would seem my other option (outside of to not getting treatment) is to go to JPS, (which is state funded) , they will start my treatment and let me owe them (I would assume at a reduced rate)but  we pparently make too much money  (60k per yr) to get any state assistance. But transferring especially during this covid time will also create a delay in treatment. Not to mention 9employees just tested positive for covid atjsp. I do very much appreciate the input, I am for the most part I guess just venting bt I will make sure I ask my oncologist about the possibility of this option. u

Posted By: Baybeh
Date Posted: Apr 10 2020 at 5:59pm
So. I figured I'd give a fast update. We got the best of news at this time, we were able to add me into my husband's insurance as of 4/1 , so this brings our costs for chemo down to 5500. I shld be starting next week. 

Posted By: Plume
Date Posted: Apr 12 2020 at 5:56am
Yes, great news!  I couldn't get your first post out of my head and I could only imagine your predicament.

Anyway, all the best with your treatment.  I have nothing to add except for that wish!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 -
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. -