Print Page | Close Window

2nd Update...severe SEs to TC...chemo stopped ...

Printed From: TNBC Foundation
Category: TNBC Forums
Forum Name: Welcome New Members
Forum Description: A place to introduce yourself to our community
URL: http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=11021
Printed Date: Dec 07 2019 at 9:43pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2nd Update...severe SEs to TC...chemo stopped ...
Posted By: arabella
Subject: 2nd Update...severe SEs to TC...chemo stopped ...
Date Posted: Mar 21 2013 at 9:50am
Hi everybody!  Met with my medical onc (who I love) yesterday and the following is my decision:

I am finished right now with chemo. I could take an additional 3 rounds of AC. I have a healthy heart so perhaps the Adriamycin wouldn't harm it, but we don't know what my particular SEs would be until given this chemo. These are the reasons for not taking:

My dx is good. My tumor was 1.1 cm removed with clear margins and my ALND was negative. My report was Stage 1 and Grade 1 which is a super dx. for TNBC. And.... I feel great! Even though my cancer is the rapidly aggressive kind (Triple Negative Breast Cancer) and there could be micro nets swimming around in my body.....there is every bit the possibility that there are NO micro mets swimming around in my body. So, instead of more chemo which could leave me with lasting SEs and have absolutely no positive effect (killing cancer cells)  on my body, we decided not to go there with more chemo. Also, there is every reason to believe, my onc said, that since my body reacted so severely to the Taxotere and almost killed me (the host of the cancer) that it did kill every cancer cell that might have been in my body....this is what has happened in the past with others...and that is his hope....and mine. So, it might have done its work in one round instead of 4 or 6. I will be having different tests and seeing my onc every three months for the next 3 years....and then every 6 months till 5 years (more to it than that...but this is the gist).   He will watch me closely and I will pay close attention to myself and if something pops up, we will try to stay on top of it and then do what we need to do then. I am very comfortable with this decision. Later this afternoon, I meet for the first consultation with the doctor who will be in charge of my radiation. I chose a female doctor and am looking forward to meeting her.

My head is almost completely bald now...just a few white/blonde wisps... :((.....so, I'm thinking that I'll be pulling out my red-haired wig today and see what it's like to be a red head.

On, and my WBC is now 8.4 (from .06 to 8.4) after those 4 shots and all my blood work looked great yesterday.

Thanking every one on here who has been so helpful to me.  I hope that maybe I can help others now as well.

Wishing all a great day!  Hug

-------------
Dx TNBC 1/2013; age 63; 1.1 cm; Stage 1, Grade 1(?); lumpectomy clear margins; ALND -; severe SEs to first TC and treatment stopped; radsX25; BRCA -
Recur 6/2015 Mastectomy

Replies:
Posted By: Charlene
Date Posted: Mar 21 2013 at 10:35am
Hi, Kaye,

I understand your decision completely and I wish you well.  That was what went through my mind when you first posted your severe side effects, but I try to stay away from anything that sounds like medical advice.  In one of my last conversations with my oncologist, we talked about the fact that the chemo I had supposedly increased my survival chances by 7%.  He explained that what that meant was that out of 100 women with my diagnosis, prescribing chemo only helped 7 of them.  The rest were not helped by the chemo one way or the other.  He said that some people never recover from the chemo and for that reason, he prescribes it very conservatively.  I know that there are some who believe the chemo I had was too "light" and that I should have had more, but I believe it is, as you stated, being comfortable with our own decision and prepared to live with it.  If I should have a recurrence in my future, I am not going to blame the fact that I had a lumpectomy instead of a mastectomy, nor will I blame the fact that I had T/C instead of TAC chemo.  I have come to understand over time that each case is different and that there is no one treatment that is best for all.  Wish you the best!
Charlene

-------------
DX 3/10 @59 ILC/TNBC
Stage 1, Grade 2, Multifocal; Lumpectomy/re-excision
SNB 0/4 nodes, BRCA-; Taxotere/Cytoxan X4, 30 rads
3/14:NED

Posted By: Lillie
Date Posted: Mar 21 2013 at 1:10pm
Hello Kaye,

I am sorry you had such severe side effects.  I guess if my cancer had been stage 1, grade 1, I would have been better able to make the decision you have made.  We are all different and do what we feel is right for us.  I will keep you in my prayers for a long, long, long life with no further cancer issues.

It also was nice to read Charlene's post explaining her treatment regimen.  It helps us who had stronger chemo to understand your decision to have less.  I pray a long, long, long life with no further cancer issues for you also.

God Bless,
Lillie

-------------
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED

Posted By: debB
Date Posted: Mar 21 2013 at 9:13pm
Hi Kaye,

I did not get the chance to respond to your other post but it sounds like you had a nightmare of a response to the Taxol. And compounded by the fact that it didnt see that others were truly listening to what you were telling them!

Grade 1 is so unusual for TN and the fact that was Stage 1 also means you caught it very early, all good things! The most important thing is to talk it over with your medical team and for YOU to feel comfortable with your decision. In the end, that is all that matters! It sounds like you are very comfortable that the decision is the right one for you, so good for you!

Hope you continue to recover from your SEs and feeling better!
Deb

-------------
Dx 4/29/11, 46 yrs old, 3.9 cm tumor, Stg 2 Grade 3 chemo 4 rounds DD AC, 12 weekly taxol, finish. Lumpectomy, 2mm residual tumor. 37 rounds rads completed. Cisplatin/PARP trial

Posted By: Grateful for today
Date Posted: Mar 21 2013 at 11:45pm
Kaye,

Thank you so much for updating us.
I echo the above wishes that you continue to feel better....until you feel even better than before.

Really appreciated the time you took to explain how your onc and you looked at everything and came
to the best decision for you for your case with your variables.
Your onc made a good point "there is every reason to believe that since your body reacted so severely to the Taxotere and almost killed you (the host of the cancer) that it did kill every cancer cell that might have been in your body......"

Good to hear your WBC is back in the normal range.

Hope all went well with the radiation oncology consult.

With caring and positive thoughts,
Grateful for today............Judy

Date Posted: Mar 24 2013 at 10:46am
Thanks everyone for all my good wishes!   I need them!!!

Met with my radiation oncologist and like her v, very much!  She prescribed an inhaler for my lung congestion (she could hear my wheezing) and I am sooooo much better today!  I begin radiation this coming Tuesday.  I only have to have 25 treatments (no booster).  I will travel 3 hours round trip daily, but feel that it is so worth it to have the feeling that I am being well taken care of.  

Hug to all........Kaye

-------------
Dx TNBC 1/2013; age 63; 1.1 cm; Stage 1, Grade 1(?); lumpectomy clear margins; ALND -; severe SEs to first TC and treatment stopped; radsX25; BRCA -
Recur 6/2015 Mastectomy

Posted By: Charlene
Date Posted: Mar 24 2013 at 12:11pm
I hope you find radiation as easy as I did, a piece of cake compared to chemo.  Other than the inconvenience of having to travel there every day for 6 weeks, it was no problem at all.  Glad you got some help with your congestion.  Wishing you continued good health.
Charlene

-------------
DX 3/10 @59 ILC/TNBC
Stage 1, Grade 2, Multifocal; Lumpectomy/re-excision
SNB 0/4 nodes, BRCA-; Taxotere/Cytoxan X4, 30 rads
3/14:NED

Posted By: Grateful for today
Date Posted: Apr 14 2013 at 11:39am
Kaye,

Sending caring and positive thoughts to you during your radiation.
Thinking you might be more than half way thru the radiation treatments.

Grateful for today.............Judy

Date Posted: Apr 14 2013 at 4:45pm
Thank you, Charlene, for your well wishes back when I began.

Thank you too, Judy, for your well wishes now at halfway thru.

I've now had 14 rad treatments and I  have 11 left  to go and so far so good. 

Hug to you both.....and hope you two are doing well also!

-------------
Recur 6/2015 Mastectomy

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net