FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post treatment advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JMJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post treatment advice?
    Posted: Oct 26 2014 at 3:49pm
Hi!

I finished my treatment (yay!) and am looking for suggestions and encouragement to move forward post treatment. I could also use resources for supplement ideas specific to TNBC. Seems like someone had a TNBC supplement link they shared at some point but I cannot find.

I had not been able to keep up with postings during treatment, but appreciated everyone's feedback from previous posts and reading others posts when I wasn't feeling well. A little background-I was diagnosed stage 2b TNBC, unilateral mastectomy, 3/22 nodes positive (2 macro 1 micro), funny I can't remember my exact tumor size, 4.6 or 4.8 cm, close to 5 cm anyway, smallest margin was less than 1 cm. I was originally misdiagnosed, the tumor grew, properly diagnosed ~5 months after finding it. I was breast feeding. Started chemo within 30 days of mastectomy, AC x4, Taxol x12 with Carbo x4 monthly lupron during chemo. One month rest, then 33 days radiation. Changed facilities after surgery/before chemo, 2nd facility said they would have done chemo before surgery had I gone there first.

I have kept a good attitude through treatment and want to continue that. I don't want to dwell on the past but I don't want to forget what I have been through as I have gained so much from the struggles. I want to be realistic moving forward but not scared to face the future as I know I am secure in the palm of His hand.

What would you advise? What do you wish someone told you right after finishing treatment?

Thank you in advance!
+JMJ+
nancykind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nancykind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2014 at 5:13pm
i had so many conflicting emotions after finishing treatment!   i got back into my exercise classes as soon as i could and that helped a lot, even if i couldn't go at them 100%.    i also started going to the 'more informal' support group at the cancer center, which was also a big help to me.   i was lucky my oncologist takes complaints seriously and i was able to get some scans done eventually, too.   (they came back fine! :) )

the effects of treatment can last for quite some time, so it's important to have a LOT of patience, still.   i was lucky to have an amazing team of family, friends, medical staff and healers, to help me along the way, and who are still there for me.

"survivorship plans" are a big thing now.   diet, exercise, emotional support when needed, these are all things to do and have after treatment, not just during.   here's another thread that someone started not long ago on the same subject you are wondering about.  

http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/life-after-treatment_topic12084.html

congratulations on finishing treatment and may you have many, many, many years of NED!
Lg lump never visible on any films but found 9mm. Lump 1/25/12, DX 1/31@50yrs IIIC/TN/DCIS/INV, Margins Unclr, Ki67 40%,Gr2. MX L 2/24. 3.1cm total. 11/17nodes. AC/T 2xWk,33rads. 12/12 MX R. 9/13 NED!
JMJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2014 at 5:28pm
Thank you Nancy!

My treatment facility has a survivorship clinic I can go to now that I am done with treatment. Perhaps they help come up with a plan. I think they also provide some some closure.

Thanks for the link I will check it out!

+JMJ+
Annie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2014 at 7:44pm

Dear JMJ,      I like your question. It is a very good one indeed.

I would say this...Do the best you can, that is all that can be expected of any of us and Trust in the Lord!

Love, Annie
Annie TNBC Stage IIA Gr 3 1cm lesion 2/5 lymph nodes+ lumpectomy,FEC & D 30Rads finished(08/2009) BRCA- Chronic Cellulitis due to Radiation-- L.Mastectomy Jan 2012
Nataliea075 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nataliea075 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2014 at 9:40am
Today is my first follow up with my Oncologist.  I completed treatment in September of this year.  I find myself wanting to "pretend" that I never had cancer.  My husband bought me a gift with a pink ribbon on it......... I hated it.  I felt awful, ungrateful......but I explained to him that I didn't need a reminder.  I will never forget that I had breast cancer.  I suppose pretending has become my way of coping.
Dx 1/14, age 55. TNBC left breast, stage II, grade 3, lumpectomy 6/14 lymph nodes neg., BRCA 1-. A/C x4 Taxol x4 completed 5/18/14, rads x31 complete 9/14
Annie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2014 at 11:41am

Hi Nataliea075,   I understand your feelings. I love pink but I remember not too long after the treatment ended I was driving with a friend and she noticed I had a key chain in the car for something. I am not sure now what key was on it. It had a long pretty pink material loop with the cure written on it. She held it up and said...get rid of that...you do not need any reminders. I thought about it and said to myself...she is right so I put it in the garbage.

I once was going to buy one of those colored laptops Sony had out in Pink but when I thought about it I said no...it was too much of a reminder at the time.

Pink is great for me anywhere else except those items with the Cure written on it.

Do not be too hard on yourself...These things take time and even then whatever is easier to have around then go with your feelings.

It is now six years since I was diagnosed and I was awaiting surgery Nov. 17 2008 and the last two days I was not sure just what was wrong with me. Last night it finally came to me...six years ago... then I became a little fearful and said to myself...I had cancer...wooooo. Today I feel better...

We will not forget but whatever helps, do.

Glad to hear you are finished treatment. Take care...Love, Annie

Annie TNBC Stage IIA Gr 3 1cm lesion 2/5 lymph nodes+ lumpectomy,FEC & D 30Rads finished(08/2009) BRCA- Chronic Cellulitis due to Radiation-- L.Mastectomy Jan 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic