FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now I have shingles!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Terri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Now I have shingles!!
    Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 6:00pm

Hi Ladies,

Has anyone else developed shingles after finishing treatment? Over the weekend My forehead was itchy and Monday I noticed some blisters there. Thought maybe it was an allergic reaction to something outside. When I went to my dentist on Wed he told me he thought I had shingles. Sure enough , I got into my primary care dr that day & he confirmed the dx. He prescribed Valtrex.
He sent me to an opthomologist who thinks it has affected my eye so now I`m on prednisone eyedrops and artificial tears. It is so painful and spreading across my forehead and in my scalp. Just when I thought I couldn`t feel any uglier I have these red swollen welts and bumps on my face!! And it`s making me even more exhausted with a flu-like feeling. Ouch
I am wondering if I have been doing too much in my quest for getting my life back to "normal" and my body was still too drained so I got shingles.
Has this happened to anyone else?
Terri

IDC DX 8/17/07 (age 41)
Stage 1 Grade 1-2, 1.35 cm
2 nodes neg, Lumpectomy 10/07
Chemo: FEC 100 x 6, 35 rads
BRCA 1/2 NEG
PET/CT & Brain CT Nov 09
Brain MRI Aug 2012 NED
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 6:24pm
Hey Terri,

I think that someone else developed shingles. You can look at the polls to see that or "search" for that.

Lori and I both had shingles at the same time 3 years ago, and we weren't even near each other when we got them. Stress does bring them on, trust me. I had them again last year when Lori was dx. Got the Valtrex in time this time. Lori has always wodered if that wasn't a precursor to her bc. She had the little tiny lump in the breast then, and they said it was "nothing". She was under a great deal of stress at that time.

Sweetie, you can not be ugly!! Shingles really hurts, but the Valtrex will help believe me. You got it in time. They can return over the years, so if you ever feel that feeling of electrical shock coming on, get to the docs and get the Valtrex. I hope that in a few days you will be feeling better.
Hugs,
Nancy
cg--- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cg--- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 7:17pm

Dear Terri,

I am so sorry for your outbreak of shingles. The Valtrex should help and now doctors are also prescribing Lyrica for post herpetic pain.

Lyrica is a drug that is used for fibromyalgia, diabetic peripheral neuropathy, and now found helpful for shingles pain. Other drugs prescribed for the post herpetic pain - Amitriptyline, Tegretol.

Apparently a shingles vaccine is available in the States and some physicians are recommending it to women with breast cancer. I do not believe it is very expensive.

Compromised immune systems make us easy targets.

Do not drink alcohol which apparently worsens the condition.

In our quest for getting back to our old normal....we sometimes seem to stumble...but do not worry, we will dust you off, pick you up and help you get back on track again.

I share this with you because in my attempt to get back into the rhythm of my old life...I tripped, broke my shoulder, tooth, had cellulitis of my face, looked like Frankenstein with my right arm strapped to my body, finally had enough hair to style and couldn't.....so I had a small pity party for myself, and a few of the wonderful women from this forum picked up my spirits and reminded me that after my treatment for TNB - a trip and fall was a minor set back. And they were absolutely right - like Phoenix rising from the ashes..we triple negative women are a pretty tough group.

Connie

Terri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2008 at 4:48am
Nancy,
I know what you mean about the electrical shock. I was feeling like I kept getting stabbed in my head and ear. I was thinking it was TMJ because a few days earlier I had a wisdom tooth filled and had to have my mouth open really wide for awhile. Luckily I had another dentist appointment and he had had shingles in the past so spotted them right away.

The ugly comment is a pity party for me just being tired of not looking like the old me. When my husband met me, I was athletic, tan with long highlighted blonde hair. That`s who he married. 10 months into marriage he had a scarred up, bald pale wife 2 sizes bigger   :(
Then just when my hair starts growing back a little and I`ve been walking regularly and lost 5 lbs (need 10 more), I get shingles on my face! So now I have to lay around again and rest, my eye is almost swollen shut and I`m in alot of pain.

To top it off, my husband does duathalons and he had one today out of town. We were supposed to stay in a hotel room on the beach and my mom was going to watch the pets.  Just one day to get away from the cancer world and cheer him on the race. Well I ended up staying home so I can rest and not infect any children there. I made sure he still went because he felt bad leaving me.

Oh well, I know that there is always someone who has it worse off then I do but I felt like I was just kicked back down just as I was trying to get my footing! 

I hope you & Lori never have it again, and thanks for your kind words :)

Terri

IDC DX 8/17/07 (age 41)
BRCA 1/2 NEG
PET/CT & Brain CT Nov 09
Brain MRI Aug 2012 NED
Terri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2008 at 5:02am
Connie,

Thanks for sharing your story with me. That`s terrible that happened to you!  You definitely know how I`m feeling right now.
The Dr prescribed hydrocodone for the pain. It does a pretty good job but either it or the Valtrex is making me a little dizzy and nauseous. I always take them with food but still feel a little icky.

You are right that we TN`s are strong. My logical mind knows this is a small setback but my emotions are a little tired of being beat up! Ouch

Plus I admit I am not the most patient person (Aries trait) and I just want to feel like people arent looking at me like I`m a medical patient of some sort. I`m sure all of us can relate!!
Thanks for listening and your support.

Terri
IDC DX 8/17/07 (age 41)
BRCA 1/2 NEG
PET/CT & Brain CT Nov 09
Brain MRI Aug 2012 NED
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2008 at 7:51am
Terri,

Pity parties are a good thingClap You are definitely entitled to them at any given time. We have 2 other daughters who are experiencing some bad times presently, although nothing like what Lori  and you gals here have been through. Both of them said that they had a meltdown on the kitchen floor this week. The oldest said that it did help, although she was going to "reserve just Thursday evenings for the meltdowns from now on".LOL

Yeah, there are many people going through even tougher times than you, but this is your time.

You are still the woman that your husband married, and always will be.
Hugs,...but no kiss on the foreheadClap
Nancy

ps...there is a shingle vaccine here in the states,and if the insurance won't pay, I think it is around $100.00. I have to get it.  

Edited by Nancy - Aug 02 2008 at 7:54am
krisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2008 at 4:29pm

Edited by krisa - Oct 09 2008 at 7:25am
Flasparr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flasparr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2008 at 1:18pm
I broke out with shingles primarily on the right side of my face 4days after my first chemo (ACT).  Doc put me on acyclovir, 200 mg. 5 X D for 5 D, then 400 mg. QD.  Was supposed to take for rest of chemo months, but the drug tore my GI tract up so bad I had to stop.  Gave me trots, cramps, rumbling, funky taste in my mouth, etc.  I numbed up the "sores" with the lidocaine gel he gave me for numbing the skin over my port prior to needle poke to start the chemo each time.  Doc said that was fine if it helped me feel better.  Was using oxycodone PRN for what we thought was "arthritis" of my back (more on that in another post) for pain, and it helped with addition of acetominophen 4 times a day...the quick release gel caps worked the best.  It WILL get better in time (mine was fairly well resolved in 4 weeks), and the sores left no scars on my face.  A few times after that, on my cheeks, I had what felt like cold sores do just prior to them breaking out on the lips.  Took the Acyclovir 400 mg. once a day for 4 days, and the feeling/tingling/hardened spot went away without any breakout.  Still have some residual episodes of almost a throbbing, almost a painful itch feeling, in the areas where I had the actual shingle lesions...doc says it's the nerve there that has some scarring from the shingles virus.
DX X3- 9/13/07;lumpectomy, 1+/9nodes;5cm encapusulated;Stg IIB;port out 6/08 post chem;TAC11/07-2/08;radBIDX6wk 4/08-6/08;Cauc;HOSPICE RN; BRCA1+;prophyl hyst/ooph 7/8/08;L1Mets;STG IV 8/1/08
Terri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2008 at 4:54pm
Thanks Krisa Smile

Flasparr,

So sorry you had to go through that at the same time as chemo. Chemo is difficult enough!! You and I were going through chemo around the same time. The shingles are on the right side of my face but both eyes have now swollen up even though the right eye is the ine affected. I also have jaw and lymph node pain on the right (as well as the whole side of my head). Did you have these symptoms too? I`m glad to hear you don`t have any scars. I feel like my face is the best thing left on me now! LOL

On another subject, I see you had your port out in June. I had mine out June 3rd. Then I was worried I may have gotten rid of it too soon after talking to other women who`s oncs made them leave in for a year or so. How are you feeling?
Smile Terri
IDC DX 8/17/07 (age 41)
BRCA 1/2 NEG
PET/CT & Brain CT Nov 09
Brain MRI Aug 2012 NED
shellieh51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shellieh51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2008 at 8:46am
I too broke out with shingles on my neck after completing chemo treatment.  I can't remember what I was treated with but it worked well and fast.  I call it my BD gift - finished chemo 8/2/07 and broke out on my 56th BD 8/14/07.

As with all of the trials and tribulations of being a cancer patient, this too shall pass.

Best wishes.
dx 11/6/2006 1.5cm IDC, Gr3, TN, BRCA-, lump, partial breast rads 1/2007, 4 AC, 12 wkly Taxol. Completed tx 8/2/2007. NED 12/2007. Malignant parotid tumor 4/2008. Clear head 4/09 & bones 11/08 -
samartin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2008 at 9:43am
Hey Ladies, its me again, I found this topic and I just have to reply.  Day 4 after chemo I rode in the car 5 hours returning from a trip and noticed that the traffic on the interstate unusually bothered me.  The next morning I woke with a sore backside but it was more than sore it had sores, burning and itching.  Swallowing my modesty, asked my hubby to take a look, he said looks like shingles.  Course I didn't believe it. Anyway, long story short, onco ignored me but PCD got it within 48 hrs got on Valtrex and Zovifax and got good relief.  Couldn't sit for a long time, Glad didn't get it on my face like ya'll.

Just thought I would add too.

Love you all.
samartin
Terri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 8:11pm
Hi Shirley,
I just replied to your post on scalp pain during hair loss when I noticed you had gotten shingles too. My Dr said the same thing to me about it not being from the chemo. Granted, my last chemo was Feb 18th, but everything you read about shingles mentions cancer & chemo among other things, DUH!
I think I have been doing too much to try to get back to a "normal" life so now I am slowing down again Ouch
Patience has never been a virtue of mine.
I also wanted to tell you that although it seems like it will last forever, your tx will be over more quickly than you think! Hang in there and keep your chin up Clap

Terri
IDC DX 8/17/07 (age 41)
BRCA 1/2 NEG
PET/CT & Brain CT Nov 09
Brain MRI Aug 2012 NED
Jessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2008 at 4:15am
Just wanted to interject that I've had the shingles vaccine.  My PCP suggested it as soon as it was approved by FDA.  My ins did cover it -- around $250.  There were no side effects from it at all.

My friend, Connie, had shingles on her side almost immediately after finding out her BC had spread to her lungs and ribs.  My heart goes out to all of you with the shingles experience.  If I'd been hit with that in addition to the MRSA and heart issues after my mastectomy, I'd have probably been begging my sweet husband, "Shoot me NOW!"  Dead

Jessie      
IDC,Stage I,Grade 3,dx 4/06
dbl mast 5/06,
systemic MRSA post surgery
septic shock, heart attack
triple bypass 1/07
no chemo due to infections and heart issues
so far NED!
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2009 at 7:08am
To all,

Just bumping this forward for Tracy, as she has had a severe case of shingles, and I did a search and the following gals have reported having them also.

Terri, smartin, rebeka, runawaybunny, Shellieh51, Flasparr, Spunkytina, and Dawnk.

Perhaps one or all seeing this will reply.
Nancy
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2009 at 2:41pm
Bumping this forward for Tracy.
Nancy
Nancy
mastectomy July 6 2007
28 rads ended Jan 2008
shellieh51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shellieh51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 3:16pm
Good luck with the shingles.  I was fortunate that my outbreak was quickly diagnosed and contained.  I have since been advised to get a vaccination but haven't pursued it beyond being told to schedule it at Walgreens!

Take care. 
dx 11/6/2006 1.5cm IDC, Gr3, TN, BRCA-, lump, partial breast rads 1/2007, 4 AC, 12 wkly Taxol. Completed tx 8/2/2007. NED 12/2007. Malignant parotid tumor 4/2008. Clear head 4/09 & bones 11/08 -
camargo80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camargo80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2009 at 5:38pm
About 6 weeks ago, I found out I had shingles. It has ran its course - THANK GOD! The rash is gone and 95% of the pain has dissappated, but has severe numbness in my left shoulder and wrist. I just wanted to know if the feeling comes back in time, or will I permantely be NUMB in these to places? I have scoured the internet to find this question answered, but I have had no luck.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much to all.
Female - Oklahoma
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2009 at 5:52pm
camargo80,

Hi there and I see where this is your first post. Have you been diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer, and possibly had chemotherapy? There are women reporting now that they have developed shingles while on chemo, and others as my daughter Lori before she was dx.

I can tell you that I had shingles twice now, and I still have residual numbness and the "electrical" shock at times. That was 4 years ago. Did you have medication for the shingles? Valtrex? Usually if you do not get the medication as soon as you feel the "shock" then you have to let it run its course. They can only prescribe that within 48 hours.

I know that I read articles on this and I will look and post them. Our Pam and another gal are from OK.
Hugs,
Nancy

Edited by Nancy - Mar 07 2009 at 5:57pm
Nancy
mastectomy July 6 2007
28 rads ended Jan 2008
Terri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2009 at 7:54am
Bump for dixiegal
IDC DX 8/17/07 (age 41)
BRCA 1/2 NEG
PET/CT & Brain CT Nov 09
Brain MRI Aug 2012 NED
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2009 at 8:38am

Hi Carmargo08,

How are you doing?  I wanted to give you a welcome from another who resides in OK.
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic