FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie
    Posted: Jul 23 2007 at 11:51am
Hi Everyone,

My name is Alison and im based in the UK.  Am 41 in August and have 3 children two boys 13 and 2 and one girl 10. Was diagnosed in June with Invasive ductual carcinoma had lumpectomy and sentinal node op 4 nodes all clear. Grade 3 stage 2.  Had first Chemo 18 days ago. Having 4 cycles of Epirubicin and 4 cycles of CMF the 25 rounds of rads. Only side effect so far is hair loss.  Found this site by chance and did not realise how rare this form of cancer is.  I thought triple negative was better as I did not have to take Tamoxifen or Herceptin tablets after chemo and rads. How wrong I was. I have been extremely positive from the start but after reading all the reoccurances on here was in floods of tears last night.  Had never really contemplacted dying any time in the next 20 years from bc as was sure I would be cured, now im not so sure.  I was under the impression I had the best case scenario when infact its one of the worse.  Why the hell wasnt I told this!!!  All you ladies are so brave what you have been through and I feel im snivelling over very little but am still in shock that triple neg is not good. Sorry this is long hope you understand.
Much love to you all
Ally
Lisa L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2007 at 2:17pm
Alison,
While it is true that there are no drugs for us to take after our treatments as of yet, do not get to down.  One thing for us is that chemo is actually more effective in triple negs than in others.  Also it is worse to be HER2 positive than it is to be HER2 negative.  Also, I have heard that if you can get past 2 years, your chances of recurrance are less that positives who have to wait 5 years.  We are a much smaller group that those who are not triple negs so more research has been done on the rest of the population.  Keep a positive attitude, it goes a long way!  So glad to hear you are not having to many side effects, I got through mine without any nausea etc.  Hope you come back to the site!  we all have our good days and bad, it is all part of the process!
Dx 8/05 age 43
mast & lat flap 10/05
Triple neg
BRCA neg
IDC 4.5cm rt br
0/1 sen node
6 A/C 5 Taxol, 25 rads 11/05-6/06
Central Illinois
Currently NED
Vicki G View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicki G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2007 at 2:24pm
Hi Ally,

I'm with Lisa on this. My doctor said the same thing to me and I believe him. Her and I are now approaching 3 years NED.

Also, attitude is HUGE in this and it sounds like you have a great one. Don't let what you read scare you. There is such a thing as too much information.

I also have kids to raise so I understand how you feel. Stay positive! It really does make a difference.

Take care,

Vicki
Lb Lumpectomy, IDC, Stage 2, Grade 3, 1+ node, 4 x A/C, 4 x Taxol, 33 x Rads. NED almost 4 yrs.
Los Angeles, Ca.
cg--- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cg--- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2007 at 2:49pm

Dear Ally,

Women support women....no matter who they are or where they live.  I did not know one thing about being triple negative.  The doctor told me absolutely nothing....I happen to work for a woman who lives in British Columbia (I live in Ontario - the other side of the Canada) and all her family is in England.  When I told her about my diagnosis, she immediately activated her women friends in England who sent cards, beautiful and inspirational stories and even added my name to be prayed for by their prayer group. 

I felt very alone and frightened but through the kindness of strangers, here, or there, or anyone willing to reach out and help is a comfort.  Do not be afraid of of information.  Knowledge is power and the more we share and support one another the more we can help ourselves. 
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2007 at 3:44am
Hi Ally, a warm welcome to you!  We're glad you found us, this is such a nice group of ladies and we're all here to help each other.

When I was first dx I didn't know anything about triple neg either but with time I started doing research and now I feel better about that.

Triple negs respond well to chemo, there are alot of survivors out there so please don't let everything you read upset you.  We are all individuals with our own pathology and we respond differently.  Not everyone will get breast cancer again, please remember that.

Best wishes that your treatments go well for you and if you have any
questions just jump in and ask, we're right here.Smile

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2007 at 10:31am
Hi girls,
Thanks to all of you who replied to my post.  I will definately keep up the positive attitude after all your kind words.  Its great news to know chemo works well for triple negs so thats a bonus.  Hair is falling out badly today so booked up for a top London stylist to cut and restyle my new wig.  My partner said forget the cost have what you want so I thought why not treat myself.  Received some scarves in the post today and have been playing around with them and made my kids laugh saying I look like Gypsy Rose Lee.  Laughter definatley helps keep the tears at bay so girls try and laugh at least once a day.
Love to you all
Ally

trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2007 at 1:44am

Ally, how nice is that that your partner told you to forget the cost and have what you want!  Going to a top london stylist to cut your wig, wow, sounds like such a good time.  Maybe you can treat yourself to a nice lunch afterwards.Wink

Absolutely laughter helps, you bet.  Sounds like you and your girls had fun with the scarves. Those special times really help.

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 5:04pm

Hi Alison I  live ky,usa, diagnosed triple neg, 8/25/06, I am remission since 6/25/07. I know you're scared and in shock, I was too. My youngest child is 18 and he's become extremely over protective of me. he want even go out with friends.   But anyway my doctor first said lets pray its not her 2 positive.  But when he found out it was triple neg he was in shock himself. I know it seems like alot to take all at once, I finally started to relax just recently myself.  I've already gone through 8 rounds of chemo, 4 ac and then 4 of taxotere, no rad. I had a mastectomy and 7 nodes removed 2 being 25% cancerous.  I worry about recurrances to.  But found just out recently from another friend who has triple neg . Shes been in remission for 5 years now., and another lady who is only 33  has been in remission for 2 years and counting. Don' give up You have every right to be scared but even when you think your alone your not I promise.  Hope this helps a little. Remember this, this is what I say to myself  

I may have CANCER, but it doesn't have ME

Love a friend
                                                   Donna
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic