FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie with Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aeryno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeryno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie with Questions
    Posted: Apr 25 2013 at 11:51am
Hello, I'm new the forum, recently diagnosed on 4/12/13 with TNBC in right breast at age 35.  Had first appointment last week with a horde of doctors and had bloodwork submitted for the BRCA1, BRCA2 and BRAT test. Doctors suggesting chemo (6 treatments) followed by lumpectomy and radiation.  I have an appointment next week with doctors recommended by family and friends who are local (i.e. 1/2 mile from home vs. 20 miles from the docs I saw last week).  I've been getting lots of great information and tips from family & friends who have had breast cancer but none have had TNBC.

I have a few questions:
  1. I've heard chemo isn't as bad as it used to be - several women have said that you sort of feel like you just have flu systems, is that the case?
  2. How soon after chemo will can you have the lumpectomy or mastectomy (if that is the route I choose)?
  3. How long is the reconstruction of mastectomy?
  4. What are pros/cons of reconstruction with implants vs. using own body tissue?
Thank you all in advance for your help. Much love to all!
TriplePositiveGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriplePositiveGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2013 at 2:21pm
Hi Aeryno,

Those are all good questions, but the answers can vary from person to person. From my personal experience, I chose to have a lumpectomy, and received chemo first to shrink the tumor (the original size of the tumor was 3.5 cm). I had Carboplatin and Gemzar. I did NOT loose any hair on this chemo plan (a little thinning) - the main side effect I experienced was fatigue. Side effects vary depending on the specific chemo and overall health of the individual (and age). I was 46 at the time I began chemo, and in excellent health and very fit. I did not have any nausea or vomiting, but these symptoms can be controlled by drugs. 

Chemo is cumulative - meaning toward the end cycles the fatigue gets worse, and other symptoms can get worse. Overall though, I did manage pretty well. After 4 cycles of this chemo, it was about a month later that I had the lumpectomy surgery. Then about one month later I finished the last 2 rounds of chemo. My doctors wanted to give my body a break so they broke up the chemo into 2 phases for me.

I can't answer the mast/reconstruction questions since I didn't go that route, but I'm certain others will address that. 

By the way, I too am in CA - So Cal to be exact. 

I began treatment in the beginning of 2010, so I am now into my 3 year post cancer. 

I wish you the best of luck with your journey!
Lisa
aeryno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeryno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2013 at 2:56pm
Hi Lisa,

Thank you so much for your insight!  I am in SoCal as well and it's great to hear you are doing so well 3 years later.

Best wishes to you!

beck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 10:03am
ive done chemo twice and lumpectomys twice once in 2007 and for the tn in 2011 it was whole new cancer on other side , i lost hair with first one but not with second most do, i had harded chemo first time , was rarely sick with the second cmf chemo , my blood counts stayed low , so i had a harder time , not sick just kid of a dragging feeling , everyone reacts different, its not like you get the chemo, and bamm you feel like hell , it creeps up on you about the 3rd day, and last for a few days , then kind of slides away , till next time , yes i called it feeling somewhat like the flu, i used to say i just fely yucky    beck
ER postive in 2007 10 nodes in underarm,primary unknown, right side, did chemo and rad. Dec. 2011 TN left side 1.5 CM no nodes stage 1 did cmf chemo and rads.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic