FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Guidance Please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Monarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2019 at 5:44pm
Mainsailset,

I did call for the doctor that my surgeon recommended first.  I was trying to see if I could get on her books for a consult.  The only reason I didn't take her first is because she was booking three weeks out and my surgeon didn't want to wait.  

The doctor saw that I saw another physician within Texas Oncology Group and said I was "already established" and refused to see me.  So, 85% of the physicians in this area are Texas Oncology Group Members.  Another 5% are with a center that my mother used and I didn't not care for them at all.  

So, I am really limited on the second opinions since obviously my file has been flagged within Texas Oncology which has 420 physicians.  Getting a second opinion within the boundaries of my insurance here is getting quiet difficult and my hospital I work for, will not allow a MDA type consult.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2019 at 7:05pm
Monarch,

I agree with Mainy.  It's time to look into a 2nd opinion.  My first onc would answer my calls, emails, faxes (yes, this was 10 years ago).  I felt part of the team with her and that she valued my questions, yes, I had many at each visit, never devalued me, saw the urgency with treating TNBC.  When she left the practice on a sabbatical after I was treated for the recurrence, I was crushed.  How could I go on?  Well onc #2 was a total disappointment.  How can you have a follow up visit without even examining the patient?  I fired this one and moved on to another brilliant onc, who was head of breast oncology at another NCCN facility.  I guess what I'm trying to say I've had some brilliant, kind, compassionate doctors who were the top in their field.  You'd never guess based upon their humbleness and compassion.  I've had a couple rotten ones, who had that god-like demeanor.  What I've learned is when you get someone that dismisses you, doesn't respond to you, it's time to move on. 

If you are having trouble with a second opinion or changing doctors, we have a patient advocate in this group that has helped many of us.  Steve (SagePatientAdvocates) has worked tirelessly to help some of us out.  If you need help, you can PM Steve or let us know and we will reach out to him.  He's not as active on the forum as he was, but always willing to help out.

Donna

Edited by 123Donna - Jun 25 2019 at 7:08pm
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic