FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

my friend Niki Quasney, age 38

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my friend Niki Quasney, age 38
    Posted: Feb 10 2015 at 11:53am
Dear TNBC Family,

A true warrior passed away last week. She not only bravely fought her ovarian cancer (diagnosed Stage IV in 2009 at the age of 33) but she also, with her partner Amy Sandler, fought for same-sex marriage in Indiana. The incredible nastiness and bigotry in her community did not deter her from fighting the good fight, even though she was dealing with advanced ovarian cancer. I admired her strength and intelligence. Rest in peace, dear Niki.

And Amy, I continue to admire and love you and always shall.

always,

Steve

NIKI QUASNEY Niki Quasney, age 38, passed away surrounded by her close family on February, 5, 2015. Niki loved life and her family more than anything. Niki was the loving and thoughtful wife of Amy Sandler, adventurous mother of daughters Asher and Maddox, youngest child of Linda Quasney and the late Jim Quasney, the youngest sister of Lisa (Joe) Sabol, Jeff Quasney, Marci Webb, Jodi (John) Groen, and Mandi (Ryan) Wade, sister-in-law of Dana Sandler (Austin) and Steven Sandler, daughter-in-law of Gary and Shellie Sandler, the coolest aunt ever to Jake, Kevin, and Trevor Webb, Hayley, Kylie, and Joey Sabol, Johnny and Tyler Groen, Eric and Ryan Quasney, Brandon, Mallory, and Logan Wade, and Rory and Tyler McMahon, and favorite chemotherapy patient of Connie Stewart. Niki was born in East Chicago, Indiana and grew up in Munster, Indiana. Niki graduated from Munster High School in 1994, from Purdue University in May 1999, and from the University of Missouri in 2005. She combined her love for children with her passion for physical fitness as a Physical Education teacher. After being diagnosed with Stage 4 Ovarian Cancer in 2009, she returned to the Chicago area with Amy to undergo treatments and focus on continuing to make the most of each day. Soon after she went into remission, they started their family and moved back to Munster. Niki demonstrated on a daily basis how to treat each day like a gift and live it to the very fullest. She was an avid runner and biker, completing numerous triathlons even while undergoing cancer treatments. Niki was kind and accepting of everyone. In recent years, Niki fought hard to help make Marriage Equality a reality in Indiana. Niki is a continual source of inspiration to all. One of her favorite quotes was from Pearl Jam's song Light Years: "No time to be void or save up on life, you gotta spend it all." If you would like to honor Niki's life, go for a walk today and have a meaningful conversation with someone you love. If you choose to make a donation in Niki's memory, please consider BRCA1 (breast and ovarian cancer) research at Dana Farber Cancer Institute. For mailed donations, please address envelopes to Div. of Development & The Jimmy Fund, Attn: Chrissie Attura, 10 Brookline Place West, 6th Floor, Brookline, MA 02445-7226. You may also call 617-632-5027 or visit www.dana-farber.org. Please designate any contributions in Niki Quasney's memory. A private celebration of Niki's life will be held.
- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nwitimes/obituary.aspx?pid=174089548#sthash.MrhXID9K.dpuf

Edited by SagePatientAdvocates - Feb 10 2015 at 11:55am
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
Katdoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katdoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2015 at 12:35am
Niki was diagnosed the same year I learned I had a BRCA1 mutations. Reading her posts helped me make the very difficult decision to have my ovaries and breasts removed. Later I followed her story on her Carepages site. I grew to admire her. She embraced many roles and seemed to excel at every one - mother, daughter, partner, activist, athlete, teacher, fighter. She touched so many. Though I never had the fortune to meet her, I am deeply saddened by her death. Rest in peace Niki, and may all the many people who love you find comfort.
Tested positive for BRCA1 mutation (187delAG) in 4/09 @ age 44; BSO 9/09; diagnosed w/TNBC in 10/09; 1 cm Stage 1 TNBC IDC, grade 3 + 1.5 cm DCIS; BMX 11/09, nodes clear; chemo (AC/T).
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2015 at 12:04pm
Dear Steve,
My Sympathy to you and Niki's family at her death. May she rest in peace.

Love and God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
LaurieR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurieR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2015 at 10:37pm
My heartfelt sympathy to Nikki and her family as well. You have fought on many fronts and in the process probably helped many people. Once again, I am deeply moved by this community and its tireless, accepting support of all its members. Although I have never met Lillie or Steve, I feel that they exemplify the supportive, caring advocacy that many of us need in our most challenging moments. This is such a lovely, important community. Together, we fight this difficult disease and find hope.
Love, Laurie
DX 1/14, age 47, Lump 2/14, DD AC/T 2/14-6/14, BMX 7/14, Rads (now)
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2015 at 11:00pm
Dear Laurie,

I think you have touched on something that is very important and that is the culture of our TNBC Foundation family. Throughout the many years since I started posting I have been amazed at the consistently supportive actions of our members. All views are respected and that is so important and everyone speaks to everyone else with a certain grace, and respect, even if opinions differ. 

It is one of the reasons I so cherish being on this site. It is truly special.

warmly,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic