FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mom's update - not a good one.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rmichaels View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmichaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mom's update - not a good one.
    Posted: Oct 14 2012 at 12:38am
Hi All,

This week after starting the Zeloda on Monday my Mom has taken a turn for the worse.
By Friday we were back in the Onc office having "the talk".  She is now done with Chemo and Hospice will be at the home Monday.  She has liver pain and is taking Oxycodone every 3.5 hours.
Her pain is under control.
This has been a difficult journey so far and I can't thank the membes on this site enough for your support.
Any thoughts or suggestions you have to make this final stage easier please fire away.
Love,
Rachel.

Mom dia 8/11 with IIb - IV by 11/11 with mets on liver. 17 rounds Taxol/Carbo then Taxotere, Cisplatin + Vinorelbine, 2 tx of Doxil, Xeloda all unsucessful. 10/12/12 Hospice @ home. Passed 11/7/12.
Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2012 at 1:02am
Rachel,

So sorry to read your post about your Mom.
Thank you for taking the time to update us.

Will post again.

Did want to send now to you and your Mom lots of love and caring thoughts

Grateful for today...........Judy
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2012 at 1:07am
Hi Rachel,

This is not the news you wanted to hear about your mom.  She fought a good fight with this horrible disease.  It's never easy to know when is the right time to stop fighting, but I think you've made the right choice.  

My dad was on hospice and I can say the hospice workers made the final transition a peaceful and pain free transition.  He was able to stay at home and have quality time with all of us.  I hope the same is with your mother.  You, your mom and family will be in my thoughts and prayers.  You've been an amazing support for your mother.  Thank you for all you've done for her.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

rmichaels View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmichaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2012 at 1:15am
Thanks Donna and Judy.  You both have been so great.  I plan on staying active with this site and helping others as much as you have helped me.  You can also find me on facebook.
Rachel Michaels - email: gr8dachshund@yahoo.com
love,
Rach
Mom dia 8/11 with IIb - IV by 11/11 with mets on liver. 17 rounds Taxol/Carbo then Taxotere, Cisplatin + Vinorelbine, 2 tx of Doxil, Xeloda all unsucessful. 10/12/12 Hospice @ home. Passed 11/7/12.
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2012 at 10:51am
Dear Rachel,

Thank you for sharing this excruciatingly painful part of the journey. I echo Donna's words and the hospice professionals should be able to make your mom as comfortable as possible and at the same time provide support for the family.

As I have told you privately I deeply admire you and your devotion to your mother. 

I would like to respond in more detail in the Palliative Care forum on the board. I just feel more comfortable writing there than in this forum. You, of course, can choose to continue to post on this thread or perhaps, give us more information, as you wish on the other thread.

I will call you in about an hour to discuss....or if you are up please call me.

warmly,

Steve

I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
denise07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denise07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2012 at 3:28pm
Dear Rach,
So very sorry that this is happening with your mom my heart goes out to you and your family,one thing I might add is that hospice was wonderful to my two dear friends that passed very caring and kept them very comfortable it is so sad to watch our loved ones suffer from cancer such a horrific disease. You are a REMARKABLE DAUGHTER and I am sure your mom knows that and there is nothing more important then to have a loved one help and guide through the most difficult choices.
My prayers are being sent your way to your mom and family you are always in my thoughts.
God Bless,
Denise
DX Idc 10/07,st2,gr3,2/6 lymphnodes
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2012 at 6:07pm
Dear Rachel,

thank you for calling me just now and for your permission and support for me to write my thoughts in the Hospice forum..I hope my insight will be helpful to you and your family and others.

As soon as I post I will come back to this forum and post a link.

warmly,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2012 at 7:57pm
Dear Rachel and all,

Just posted on the Palliative Care-Hospice forum...

warmly,

Steve

Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2012 at 12:14am
Rachel,

Sending lots of loving and caring thoughts to you, your Mom and the family.

You had asked above...."Any thoughts or suggestions you have to make this final stage easier please
fire away."

3 thoughts come to mind:
    1. Continue to follow your heart as you have been doing right along.
          You are by your nature and your gifts an exceptionally loving and caring daughter, advocate
               and caregiver.
    2. Continue to love your Mom and be in the present moment as much as possible.
    3. Will post other specific thoughts on:     
                  http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/topic10432_post107138.html#107138

With love and cyberhugs,
Grateful for today............Judy
debB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2012 at 8:51am
Rachel,

I have thought of you and your mom so very often. I hope that in this very difficult and emotional time that you are able to have some quality time just being with her. She is obviously a special lady to have raised such a wonderful daughter.

Hugs,
Deb
Dx 4/29/11, 46 yrs old, 3.9 cm tumor, Stg 2 Grade 3 chemo 4 rounds DD AC, 12 weekly taxol, finish. Lumpectomy, 2mm residual tumor. 37 rounds rads completed. Cisplatin/PARP trial
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic