FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mom Diagnosed TNBC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EmG429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmG429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mom Diagnosed TNBC
    Posted: Mar 02 2021 at 7:35pm
Hi everyone,

I have been visiting this forum for a few weeks now and have found it really helpful in learning more about TNBC. My mom was recently diagnosed as stage 2, triple negative breast cancer at age 58. Tumor is around 2cm. Some background, she discovered a lump in the summer time and waited about 6 months to get it checked out because of extreme fear of contracting covid-19. She also has not had a mammogram in about five years. There is no family history of breast cancer and we were pretty shocked at the diagnosis. 

Everything that I have read online states that triple negative is very aggressive with a poor prognosis. However, upon diagnosis my mom’s surgeon said that although she has TNBC, her tumor is grade 2 and appears to be slow growing? Ultrasound and core biopsy of lymph nodes showed no evidence of spread to lymph nodes at this time. We met with the oncologist today for the first time and he feels that her cancer is “highly curable”. In addition, she has had an MRI of her chest, but they don’t think any additional scans are needed at this time, which I find odd considering everything I have read. Treatment would consist of chemo ACT for 5 months, followed by lumpectomy and then radiation. 

So I am posting today because I find that this information is all very conflicting. Has anyone ever experienced a TNBC diagnosis with a “positive” outlook and “slow growing”? I feel like these doctors are not being thorough enough and not taking the TNBC diagnosis as seriously as they should. My mom has a second opinion at another cancer center in our area tomorrow, so we will see what they say. Any input would be much appreciated! 
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2021 at 8:07pm
Hello & Welcome,

Most of the time when TNBC is diagnosed, it is usually grade 3 (very fast growing).  Occasionally I will see someone with a grade 2.  With your mom being grade 2, that is good news.

A good source to review is the NCCN Guidelines for breast cancer:

https://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/content/PDF/breast-invasive-patient.pdf

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2021 at 1:11pm
Dear EmG,

Welcome to our wonderful TNBC family.

Does Mom have a family history of cancer, both maternal and paternal side?

Has she had genetic testing?

warmly,

Steve

I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
EmG429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmG429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2021 at 1:24pm
Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply. No family history on either side of her family. She will be getting genetic testing, but we haven’t gotten that far yet. 

Thanks!
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2021 at 1:34pm
Dear EmG,

Thanks for your reply.

If you mom is interested in a second opinion from an oncologist who is TNBC experienced I may be able to help her. Does she live in Philadelphia, as well?

Please send me a PM or write at info@sagepatientadvocates.org

I am happy to set-up a Zoom if you wish. I am not a medical professional and will not give you/her medical advice. There are no charges.

warmly,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
CMDW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMDW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2021 at 2:53pm
Dear EmG-

My situation sounds similar to your mom’s, except mine was grade 2-3.  All of my doctors used the term “curable” (although there are no guarantees in medicine and health). No node involvement was seen on MRI so my treatment path was exactly the same as what is proposed for your mom.  No additional scans. I experienced a complete pathological response, which is the goal.

My stats for comparison purposes are visible at bottom of page.

I hope your mom has the same result and lives a long, healthy life!  Cindy

Edited by CMDW - Mar 03 2021 at 10:10pm
66 at diagnosis. 3/2019, AC/T, lumpectomy, 30 radiation. Complete 12/19. IDC, grade 2-3, 4 cores .2-1.5cm, yellow lobulated fibroadipose, stage pT1b, NO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic