FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mastectomy next Monday-advices?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AnaTNBC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaTNBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mastectomy next Monday-advices?
    Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 3:44pm
Hello everyone!

I am having my mastectomy next Monday.
I remember that I read somewhere here in the site some post with wonderfull advices for women who were going to have a mastectomy but I cant find those posts.
can you help me?
Any advice? 

Thank you,

Ana
Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 9:42pm
Ana,

Sending lots of loving, caring and positive thoughts for your surgery.

Think the great thread you may be referring to is:
   http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/bmx-in-7-days-and-scared-to-death_topic10301.html
There are lots and lots of good ideas and suggestions on above link.

See the TNBC thread:
             http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/the-after-surgery-tips_topic3104.html

If others remember/find other good mastectomy related threads, please post.

I had posted some thoughts and suggestions on another thread awhile ago.
Some thoughts on mastectomy surgery...............
Pick and choose what seems helpful. Disregard the rest.
    Call your surgeon's office about how to get a both arm measurement before surgery.
        Some places use a tape measure. Some use a perometer. Some physical therapy departments
        and some vascular departments do the arm measurements.
        Maybe...hopefully your surgeon's office already has a plan for this.
        Reason for pre-surgery arm measurements:
                   Baseline to have in case there is a question of swelling or lymphedema in the future.
                         (most women will not get lymphedema, but good to have as a baseline)
                   Risks for lymphedema: ALND/sentinel node biopsy (less risk than ALND) /mastectomy/
                             had surgery in the armpit before now/radiation to the lymph node areas
                             after lymph node surgery       
        Many do not have this done.......so if not possible to do, don't worry.....but worth asking
               about.
        If above not done, with body facing the wall, mark on a wall or closet door etc
               how high both arms can reach above straight up........this way you know what you
               could do before surgery......not everyone   can reach straight up to a full 180 degrees
               (flexion) before surgery.
    Think about your "healing cave".   When you get home, where will you spend time?
        Do you have a recliner?    If not, is it possible you can borrow one?
        Some people have suggested that a "recliner" is almost a must for s/p double mastectomy.....
              and helpful for unilateral mastectomy
        If not a recliner, can you adapt a chair with pillows etc for easing getting into and out of?
        Plan on what to have nearby in advance.....helpful things as well as "healing" things.
    Accept ALL help offered esp. the first week. One may be able to manage by oneself if that
       is the only option. Any help makes the recovery so much easier.
       Also you can always cancel any planned help...........you are in charge of your recovery plan.      
    Make list of what you will bring to hospital on surgery day.   Pack bag before last minute.
                 Pack chap stick for dry lips, a small notebook, pen.
    Get Bath wipes (optional but a big help) from drug store.
               (Not baby or hand wipes....personal bath wipes)
               May be helpful the first few days instead of washcloth/towel/soap.
    Go thru your clothes and find a few really easy to get into tops for the first week or so.
               Depending on weather, zippered light fleece tops might be good.
               Anything zippered or real full and roomy.
    If you have a silk pajama top or robe, try wearing.
               Silk pajamas can feel so good next to the skin to sleep in. (Disregard if hot flashes are an issue).
    Food in house that you think you would like after surgery.
              Have some bland, easy to digest things (just in case).   Have favorite beverages.
    Check that you will be able to get things safely at home after surgery.
             Maybe putting the frequently used things lower. So, when your help leaves, you are all set.
             You may get your arm range of motion back quickly but until the drains are out, many
                      have some restrictions regarding reaching overhead.                            
     Check with your surgeon's nurse re; best way they recommend to manage the drains after
                  mastectomy.   Some places have a belt with pockets.   Some places advise a camisole
                  with drain pockets.
               Your surgeon or on your pre-op visit, it will be explained about the drains connected
                    with a mastectomy......care for them.....time varies how long they are in....... etc.
                 If no one has mentioned post op drains, don't be concerned. You will be given all the
                          info you need.
    If you find mind body techniques helpful....and/or visualization and relaxation type CD'ss,
          would suggest you consider looking into:
               Peggy Huddleston's CD and book. Prepare for surgery: Heal Faster.
                 http://www.healfaster.com/
               If you plan to get either the book or the CD, I would suggest getting the CD.
               It's best to get both, but if you get only one, get the CD.
               The CD does suggest that one completes the page in Peggy’s book for:
                      Healing statements for surgery (page 257)
                      and to make copies to bring on surgery day.
                      You may be able to borrow the book from a library and copy page 257.
              I used the book and CD.   Found them very helpful.   I figured if they didn't help
                    at least they couldn't hurt.
       At some point post-op, ask your MD for a physical therapy eval. Many physical therapists feel
       everyone who has had a mastectomy (with or without reconstruction) would benefit from a
       physical therapy evaluation.
       see PT info on link:    http://breastfree.org/viewer.php?num=7

Please post if you have any questions on anything I have said.

With caring and positive and quick recovery thoughs,
Grateful for today.............Judy

Edited by Grateful for today - Jul 03 2013 at 2:30pm
AnaTNBC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaTNBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 4:29pm
Judy,

Yhank you so much for the help!

Wish me luck...

Warmly,
Ana
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 10:59pm
Dear Ana,

we are all wishing you a non-eventful procedure and a smooth recovery..

You will get through this, Ana, and you can count on our support.

warmly,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 1:10am
Already great advice from Judy!

I echo Steve in wishing you an uneventful surgery. We're all different, but my bilateral was so much easier than anticipated. I hear a lot of women say the same.

We're with you & will be thinking of you Monday.

xxx Mindy

Edited by mindy555 - Nov 25 2012 at 1:29am
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Grew to Stage IIa- No ev of node involve- BRCA1+ chondroid metaplasia
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 5:02pm
Ana,

Sending love and lots of good thoughts to you for your surgery tomorrow.

With caring, positive and quick recovery thoughts,
Grateful for today...........Judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 11:25pm
Ana,

Wanted to leave you a message for after your surgery.

Continued good and positive thoughts to you.
Be good and gentle to your self. Give your body time to heal.

With caring and healing thoughts,
Grateful for today............Judy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic