FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just diagnosed Stage 1 ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
CinciMom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CinciMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2011 at 12:49pm
Hi and Welcome April:
I was stage 3 (with lymph node involvement)  when diagnosed in 2007, and have had 2 recurrences since, but as of last fall I am cancer free!!!  Having more reconstruction this Wednesday.
I did have 3 months of chemo before my bi-lat mast. then radiation, then 4 more months of chemo after.  Even with the radiation I had a recurrence in a lymph node on the radiated side.  Then a year and a half later another lymph node on the opposite side.  The dr left radiation up to me on the opposite side.  I did  not do radiation again.  Honestly I would get a 2nd opinion regarding the radiation, especially if you do not have lymph node involvement.  Radiation is not easy and it makes reconstruction difficult. 

I agree with the genetic counseling. 

As far as the chemo goes, yes you can do it. 

Good luck, and God Bless,
Coreen
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2011 at 12:26pm
Dear April,

welcome..I am very sorry you are dealing with this...we are here to try to give support..

First off, how old are you? sorry for the impertinent question but if you are under 45, even absent a family history of breast/ovarian cancer it might be wise for you to speak to a Certified Genetic Counselor, if you havenít already, for genetic counseling and possible BRCA testing...If you are over 45 with a family history of breast/ovarian cancer you should speak to a CGC, as well, in my unprofessional opinion.

You mentioned neo-adjuvant treatment. There is an excellent cancer center in Philadelphia and an excellent Breast Medical Oncologist there..I would suggest you consider seeing her.

Dr. Susan Domchek
Abramson Cancer Center
Univ. of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia

Abramson is also a site for the I-SPY 2 clinical trial. I am not suggesting you join this trial. I also have no idea if you meet the criteria but it is a neo-adjuvant trial..I am not a medical professional and please do not take any of my thoughts as medical advice.

Here are some links to the trial-

www.ispy2.org

all the best,

Steve

I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
April-NJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote April-NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2011 at 11:47am
Thank you for your response I guess I need to find out what the doc thinks she never mentioned neo-adjuvent? just founf out this AM Im TN , maybe cause its Stage 1 they beleive and they dont beleive any node involvement?  But they cant be 100% sure until surgery and I dont like this waiting game and hoping nothing pops up in my nodes either.

I dont want to make the wrong choice as it can have LARGE REPROCUSSIONS, should I call the doctor about this neu-adjuvent chemo? I just dont know my head is about to explode, Im so scared I want to just cry.....
outnumbered View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outnumbered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2011 at 11:39am
Hi April,

Welcome, I am sorry you have reason to be here, but take a deep breath.  This is do-able... And being here you will receive tons of love, support and info.   

Very often they do chemo before (neoadjuvant) to see if it is effective in shrinking it.  If you are a smaller stage I they might just do the surgery and then give the chemo. It really depends on you oncologist. As far as rads, it depends on the location and size of the tumor.  Please get several opinions and make sure your doctor is TN Savvy. 

I go to Deb Toppmeyer at CINJ in New Brunswick, and I am happy with them there.  I do not know how far north you are though.  Feel free to PM me. 

HUGS!

Edited by outnumbered - Jan 31 2011 at 11:44am
~Sara

DX @ age 40 6/24/08 Stage 1 Grade 3 BRCA1+ 187delAG

BMX (nipple-areola-sparing) 8/5/08

Redo BMX (remove nipple and areola) w/ Lat Flap 7/6/09

BSO 9/3/09

NED since 08/05/2008
April-NJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote April-NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2011 at 11:29am
I just found out I am TNB, and I am besides my self they beleive Stage 1 with no lymphs but wont no for sure until surgery the waiting is driving me crazy.

What was your experieince? I have heard about having "chemo" before?  has anyone done this? 
Also how are you holding up, how long BC free?

I am doing a bi-lat Masc? will I still need Rads ?or does everyone with TNB need rad?

What can I expect and can you reccommend a good oncologist familair with TNB in North Jersey?

Thank you for your time!Unhappy

April
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic