FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is this a a sign chem is leaving? (maybe TMI )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this a a sign chem is leaving? (maybe TMI )
    Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 12:35am
Since my last chemo on 9/13 I started noticing more and more of my private area getting more lubricated. The chemo completed kept my sex drive away and I had no desire to even want to be intimate with my boyfriend. I still don't but it's slowly wearing off I think? They said a month before any hair. I just got my surgery papers today. I have to be there 4 hours a head of time. Why? I dunno. 

Counting down the days..until I can say I am cancer free and be a survivor in this group
Diagnosed 4/29
Lymph nodes clear on MRI on 5/20
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
final mri- no lymph 4mm or less residual
Lump right side on 10/16
7 nodes taken - all clear - clean margins

SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 1:28am
Dear Tracy,

there are a number of things that may be done pre-surgery...I don't think that 4 hours pre-surgery is unusual and is not something I would be concerned about.

check in at the front desk
receiving wrist band....
checking to make sure you are the patient by questioning you re name/date of birth
blood work
checking your blood pressure/weight
possible ekg
general assessment of your status
making sure of your previous allergies or allergic reactions to various drugs
making sure you agree to the surgery and understand it
extensive conversation with, assessment by, anesthesiologist and start of anesthesia prior to surgery
making sure your surgery room/surgeon will be available

good luck Tracy..

we wish you a non-eventful procedure, a good path report and a smooth recovery.

warmly,

Steve

I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 1:34am
I am just worried about taking my boyfriend up so early.  I don't want to sit b y myself for 4 hours. He said he would come but I feel bad for him. I still have so many decisions to make before surgery. I am hoping they can give me something for my anxiety prior to surgery. I am already worried about what could go wrong and other things.
Diagnosed 4/29
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
Lump right side on 10/16

Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 1:41am
Dear Tracy,

a few questions

I would bet the farm if the situation were reversed that you would accompany your boyfriend to surgery, wouldn't you? Having him with you should help your anxiety, shouldn't it? and the focus tomorrow should be on you. that's only fair, isn't it?

again, good luck..

warmly,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 1:47am
Well tomorrow. I am going by myself to my preop evaluation. He has to work. Its a bit of  hike for me up to Johns Hokins in Baltimore but I get to office visits out of the way. I guess it's just hard to explain. Until you have cancer and you don't know what your life is going to be beyond it. I have signed up for a support group that meets at the local hospital also soon.
Diagnosed 4/29
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
Lump right side on 10/16

Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 1:50am
Dear Tracy,

again, good luck with everything..

it's almost 2 am for you...any chance for some sleep?

almost 11 for me and I am whipped so I will say goodnite.

warmly.,

Steve

tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 1:55am
Steve,

Yeah nite. I am tired. Long day tomorrow again.

Have a good nights rest.

Tracy
Diagnosed 4/29
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
Lump right side on 10/16

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 11:37am
Tracy,

If I remember correctly I had to arrive 3 to 4 hours before my surgery.  I had to sign in, and yes my legs were shaking uncontrollably.  I went to a room where I had to change into the hospital gown.  They put me in a bed in a waiting area.  They hooked me up to saline IV's and thankfully must have given me something to calm my nerves as I became very relaxed.  About 2 hours or so before the surgery I remember the surgeon coming to see me.  She was going to inject the "blue dye" for the sentinel node test.  They put me out for a brief period of time and remember when I woke up thinking nothing happened but when I looked at my breast there was a bandage where she injected the dye.  The plastic surgeon then came by to mark me up with her sharpie pen.  So while it seemed like a long wait, there was much to be done before the surgery.

My advice is to ask them if you can have something to calm your nerves right away or maybe a prescription for Ativan that you can take prior to the surgery?

Hope you appointment goes well.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

denise07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denise07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 11:14pm
Tracy,
Good Luck tommorrow and I am sure they will give you something for anxiety. I was told that chemo stays in your system for 1 month after your last treatment.
Wishing the best for you...
Hug's
Denise
DX Idc 10/07,st2,gr3,2/6 lymphnodes
tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 11:22pm
denise,

Thank you. I am worried about the surgery on Oct 18th. Tomorrow is just my pre op evaluation and to meet with the nurse to go over some photos of how you want your breasts to look? They just said she was sick last time and they normally show you a photo book. So thats what my appt with her is for. The preop I think is blood, urine, ekg, and a chest xray.  It just ways in your mind the closer you get to surgery. Now that I know that I have to be put to sleep twice also. That scares me even more. 

I will express my feelings to them though. I am hoping they could do the diep flap to fill in the extra tissue if I go a tiny bit bigger from my belly.  Thats the main question for the nurse I guess and how long until I am completely done with everything with the reconstruction.
Diagnosed 4/29
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
Lump right side on 10/16

tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 11:24pm
Thanks for thoughts and caring Denise I appreciate it. I thought chemo left in 2 days physically out of your system. I didnt know a month. Wow thats a long time. Well they did say a month when my hair would start growing back. I guess I am wasting time putting this hair growth serum on it now.
Diagnosed 4/29
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
Lump right side on 10/16

tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2013 at 3:39pm
I am so conufesed and lost even more so after today's  appt . They told me that if I have to radiation they could not put my implants for a a  whole year?

That can't be right?!?

Diagnosed 4/29
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
Lump right side on 10/16

tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2013 at 3:39pm
Is there any way they can check before hand to see if I need radiation?
Diagnosed 4/29
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
Lump right side on 10/16

hopeful57 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopeful57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2013 at 5:14pm
Tracey, are you having a mastectomy? Why are they suggesting radiation also? Did they say anything else?
tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2013 at 5:31pm
They said I would have to get radiation if I had masectomy but if my nodes were clear I would not. He was going to take 3 out.

I also found out from a nurse navigator that if you have lumpectomy and you change your mind by law they have to cover you under your insurance.

Say you don't feel comfortable in your decision or have other factors. Is that true? That is what she told me.

Diagnosed 4/29
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
Lump right side on 10/16

hopeful57 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopeful57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2013 at 5:44pm
This is what I was told when I had my diagnosis in early March. I had one tumor, 1 centimeter in my left breast. My surgeon immediately tested me for the BRCA gene. She said that if I was positive for teh BRACa gene, I would get a mastectomy and if I was negative, I would have a lumpectomy becuase there was no reason for a mastectomy. At the time of the surgery, they took out one "sentinel" node to see if it contained cancer. Have you been tested for BRACa? Why are they automatically taking out three nodes? I hae my lumpectomy and a breast reduction at the same time. I finished 4 rounds of AC and 4 rounds of Taxol on 9/9, and in two weeks I will start 28 rounds of radiation. You always have radiation if yuou have a lumpectomy. So were you already tested for BRACa?
tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2013 at 5:56pm
Yes I was tested and came up negative for both BRCA. They left it up to me. I am just worried about it coming back with even the lumpectomy. 

If I did the masectomy they were going to take out three nodes to see if there was any cancer in them and if not he said no radiation needed.

That is what I Don't get. I thought if I had a mastectomy there would be no reason to take out the lymph nodes.
Diagnosed 4/29
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
Lump right side on 10/16

tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2013 at 5:56pm
Does radiation shrink your breasts?
Diagnosed 4/29
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
Lump right side on 10/16

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2013 at 6:13pm
Tracy,

Regardless of whether you have a lumpectomy or mastectomy they'll perform a sentinel node biopsy (SNB) during the surgery.  Before hand they inject a blue dye into the tumor.  They look for the node(s) that the tumor most likely drains to.  They will remove those nodes and look at them for any cancer cells.  If it has spread to the lymph nodes, radiation may be advised even with a mastectomy.

Look at Number 8 in the link below:

I hope this helps answer your question.  If you look at many of our signatures at the bottom of our posts it will show how many nodes were removed with surgery.  

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2013 at 6:50pm
can they do flap reconstruction on lumpectomy breasts? Since radiation shrinks your breasts.
Diagnosed 4/29
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
Lump right side on 10/16

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic