FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is there a quit smoking thread?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
LRM216 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRM216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is there a quit smoking thread?
    Posted: Mar 27 2009 at 3:21pm
I am a light smoker but need to quit asap and want to.  I am not going to fight this beast and continue to smoke!  If there are any ex-smokers on board, does anyone have any suggestions that may have helped them.  I found that since my diagnose, I have probably smoked more than I ever have in my life.  Just had my lumpectomy two days ago, follow up with BS this coming Weds. and then it is over for good.  Thanks for any advice in advance.

Linda
Linda - diagnosed at age 62
Diag 2/23/09 IDC 1.2 cent. IDC right breast,Stage 1, Grade 3,0/1 nodes - Triple Neg
4 DD AC every two weeks, 1 Dd Taxol, then 3 Taxotere every three weeks - rads x 33
daffodil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daffodil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2009 at 6:59pm
Hi Linda,
The most important thing is that you truly want to stop. I know I tried a number of times and couldn't I guess I tried nearly everything on the market to help me with the craving for nicotine - nothing worked.  Then someone suggested that I buy and read Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking.  The result was miraculous and I haven't smoked since. 
Unlike you I was a heavy smoker and had been for nearly 35 years.  After reading Allen's book I haven't craved a cigarette in over 2 years.

Give it a go - it just might work for you too.
Daffodil
It came to pass not to stay.
Lumpectomy August 2006. No lymph node involvement. AC x 4
radiotherapy 30 sessions. Taxol lasted 2. Clear so far!
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2009 at 7:17pm
Linda,

My youngest daugfhter has been taking Wellbutrin, and then the nicotine patch, the lowest dosage, and it is working. She smoked menthol cigarettes, and the menthol is also very addictive. It is working, and she has not had a cigarette in 2 weeks. You might want to talk to your doctor about this. It is an antidepressant but it is being used to help people stop smoking. I forget the dosage, but will ask her tomorrow, and get back to you.
Nancy

Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
LRM216 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRM216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2009 at 10:09pm
Much thanks to you both for your suggestions.  After I was diagnosed, I stopped cold turkey for about 5 days, but then the waiting and the despondency just got to me, and I started again.  I want to stop and must.  Thanks again.

Linda
Diag 2/23/09 IDC 1.2 cent. IDC right breast,Stage 1, Grade 3,0/1 nodes - Triple Neg
4 DD AC every two weeks, 1 Dd Taxol, then 3 Taxotere every three weeks - rads x 33
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2009 at 12:39pm
Linda,

My daughter was prescribed the 300 mg of buproprion one time daily, and had to decide on a quitting date. She said they were supposed to have given her 150 taken 2 times a day. Then after 2 weeks she started on the patch, lowest dosage...7 mg, once a day, and has not had a cigarette for 2 weeks. She took the patch off at night, as they can give you some really bad dreams. She bought sugarless hard candy and gum which she says has helped.
Good luck and you can do thisClap,
Hugs,
Nancy

ps...she is preparing to place her house on the market, so has had many many tasks, painting, repairing walls...and this has helped. When she would get a craving, she just found something to keep her busy. She didn't have to look very farBig%20smile

Edited by Nancy - Mar 29 2009 at 12:41pm
Nancy
mastectomy July 6 2007
28 rads ended Jan 2008
alene View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2009 at 2:22pm
It is soooooooooo harrrrrdddddd tooooo quittttttttt!!!!!!

Tried the chantex thing...man o' man...talk about being irritable...
I felt like I was crawling out of my skin...It DID NOT help with cravings at all...Lotta people say...It's the best thing ever...so maybe it would work for you....

Found that the wellbutrin (aka zyban) idea worked for me....at least for 16 days...Then back off the wagon...

Hope to try quitting again by starting the zyban again...tomorrow...
Can't get reconstruction when you smoke...Have to be quit for at least 2 months....So it's a big incentive...

So...I understand your woes....It's way harder to quit when you're under so much stress.... 

So...you're not alone..

Good luck...and please update us..on your smoking cessation if you need any encouragement...etc..

BTW...any prescription quit smoking aid..is considered a valid medical expense for taxes...(So hang onto the receipts...the stuff is NOT cheap)...However...OTC drugs such as patches are not a valid expense...

Love
Alene

PS...How many states settled with tobacco industry etc (Washington state did a couple of years back)...yet if your want to quit smoking...there really aren't any subsidized programs where you can get quit smoking meds...or patches...etc....

So where did the money all go?...Hmmmmm
DX 5/21/2008 TN 8cm TAC
Mast 12/08
Extensive Residual Lymphatic Invasion
Inop node clavicle
68 Rads
Stage IIIc
Recur 11/09 Her2+
Surgery 68 RADS
4/10 Biopsy Skin Mets TN
28 RADS
Stage IV
krisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2009 at 4:37pm

i don't know what to say--i quit after several attempts--wasn't easy but doable, just like chemo was.
i will keep you smokers in my thoughts and prayers that you can find the strength to quit.
Heart
LRM216 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRM216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2009 at 5:23pm
Thanks, Gals for all the info and support.  I sucessfully tried for 5 days prior to the surgery and then I was a wreck so started up again, now have set my date for my first onc's appt - that will be it.  I just cannot do chemo and go through all I will have to endure to be able to extend my life while I still puff puff on cancer sticks at the same time.  Just doesn't go along with the rules of nature!  Maybe I'll try the patches and see how that goes.  Wish we well - gotta do this.

Hugs,
Linda
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2009 at 7:36am
Good luck Linda!
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
jbotha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbotha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2009 at 10:17pm

I quit smoking on chantix though I have tried to do cold turkey on two occasions, but of no use. I have smoked for around 5 yrs with pack a day. Thanks to chantix and the support my family provided me. It really helped me to get over my nicotine addiction and I donít feel craving anymore. There is one thing which I would like to share and which helped me a lot initially, try having a glass of water when you feel craving the most. It a tough road but it's worth so best luck to all those who want to give up smoking.

Chantix is FDA approved drug.
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 6:51am
Hello jbotha and welcome.Smile

Thanks so much for the glass of water tip.  Hadn't heard that one before.

We'd love for you to share your diagnosis with us.  Are you currently going thru treatments or just beginning?
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 7:32am
Alene,

PA was one of those states, and there is nothing to help those addicted. In fact, tomorrow, April 1, the cigarettes will be I think $7.50 a pack, and a pound of tobacco for rolling cigarettes will go from I think, $12.00 to $37.00. There will be a tax of $24.99 a bag. It was just on the local news the other night. I personally think they should put a $100.00 a bottle tax on beer. The drunken drivers kill or mame hundreds of thousands of people a year. The tobacco industry hooked people many years ago, by adding an addictive substance to the tobacco.

I would watch that Chantix as there are lawsuits and this link is from the consumer affairs. Many drugs out there and all have side effects.

Nancy

Nancy
mastectomy July 6 2007
28 rads ended Jan 2008
daffodil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daffodil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 1:31pm
Couldn't agree more Nancy. That is why I recommended reading Allen Carr's book.  I tried everything patches, hypnotherapy accupuncture - nothing worked. After reading Allen's book I stopped cold turkey - I still can't believe it.
Daffodil
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 1:59pm
Daffodil,

I am a smoker also. Never take them with me when I go out, do not smoke in anyone's house, do not smoke in the car, unless it is a long trip, and went all the way to Pittsburgh yesterday with my daughter...did not bother me to not smoke. So....why can't I quit? I guess because I don't want to?

I did a few years back and did it cold turkey, for about 4 weeks. Then there was a crisis in the family...not a death...just a crisis which you will have when you have 5 daughters and I lit one up! My husband and I only smoke in one room in the house. Still the nicotine can be seen when I clean any room.

I will get the book, as we have to stop. I will not use the drugs. I just stopped taking the Fosamax due to all the lawsuits of dead jaw syndrome and now esophageal cancer deaths,  and I am terrified of what it has already done to my body. Was on it for years. It takes years for your body to rid itself of the drug. That was the only med I took. The smoking is an addiction...the fosamax...a drug ....bisphosphonate....which should not be prescribed but is.

Thanks again,
Hugs,
Nancy

PS..they say drinking orange juice also helps.

Edited by Nancy - Mar 31 2009 at 2:00pm
Nancy
mastectomy July 6 2007
28 rads ended Jan 2008
daffodil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daffodil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 4:56pm
Nancy,

I blame the nicotine patches for my breast cancer, can't prove it of course, however I used to stick the patch on the top of my arms and breasts.
One of the things that the book focuses on is that nicotine is a drug of addiction - it is not a bad habit and the use of substitutes for nicotine including eating candy and chewing gum should be avoided.
Instead it focuses on giving yourself positive reinforcement eg phrases non-smokers don't need cigarettes.
He also encourages you to smoke while reading the book - strange but true.  In fact I got to the point where I started to say out loud - tell me to have my last one now - please.

I don't know about orange juice but I certainly drank a lot of water.

Daffodil
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2009 at 12:23pm
Hi LRM216

I know this is a late post concerning quitting smoking (but better late then never). When my surgeon gave me my cancer diagnosis on June 9, 2006 he said, "I will not operate on you unless you quit smoking."   He said he could do my surgery (mastectomy) on June 15th but I had to quit smoking first. Mind you, I had 40 years of smoking experience and had always said, "I smoke because I enjoy it and nobody is going to make me give it up." Well as of this past June 10, 2009 I have been smoke free for 3 years. I guess you could say the surgeon scared the "puddin" out of me. I used the Nicoderm CQ patches for about 7 weeks. Started with the strongest and every 2 weeks graduated down to the lower strengths. By the time those 7 weeks were past I had undergone 2 surgeries and was staring down the "chemo barrell". Thank God I found the strength not to start smoking again.

People have asked me if it was hard to quit smoking. I can honestly say, I don't know. I had just received a cancer diagnosis, was facing surgery and trying to train a temporary person to fill in for me at my work. "I felt like I had been broadsided by a train".

Anyway, I really enjoy not smelling like a cigarette, smoking a cigarette and waking to realize it was just in a dream, having the "flashbacks" and having the strength not to buy a pack of cigarettes.

By the way I grew up on a tobacco farm in North Carolina. Can't figure out why I smoked all those years...

Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2009 at 1:36pm
Your surgeon sounds really annoying, Lillie.  Would your life not be worth saving if you couldn't quit?  It is well known that nicotine addiction is one of the most powerful there is.  And at a time in your life stressful beyond belief - after a diagnosis of cancer - would it be such a shock if you couldn't quit on the spot?  People work on this for years. 

But of course congrats on quitting!!   (and on staying healthy!)

Love,
Denise
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2009 at 1:58pm
Just reading everyone's challenges makes me want to wring someone's neck. Smoking, man I can't quit chocolate (except while taking chemo) so I am nothing but envious of those of you who can quit tabacco. Tabacco is an addictive drug and for anyone to stay sane while waiting for dx or test results much less control an addiction of any kind is heroic.

Stay strong ladies, one day at a time.
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2009 at 3:04pm
Hi Denise,

I thank God everyday for that surgeon who wouldn't operate if I didn't quit smoking. After breast cancer diagnosis I am afraid they could find lung cancer on my CT scan after all the years of smoking.

I am really new on this site and I am so thankful I found you guys. I have found such encouragement about multiple issues that no one else seems to understands. I have not encountered another triple negative person here where I live. A lot of people, including members of my own family think I am getting sub-standard treatment because I don't take tamoxifin or herceptin. I don't want to scare my children and brothers, so I mostly say "breast cancer is not a one size fits all disease". My husband understands and he is very supportive.

Thanks and Love,

Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
Sunris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2009 at 5:50pm
When someone figures out the miracle answser, please enlighten me!!   I will be having surgery in approx. 6 weeks and I know I must quit for surgery ( with reconstruction) not to mention for my health. I've been doing fairly well on cutting back for the past couple of months, but still haven't cut back enough! 1/2 pk a day is still too much! I've been trying for about a week now to do different things to psych my mind.... Mainly using the whole "If you don't quit you can't have surgery with recon. method" ....

It is a tough battle! You'd think that all of us would have just simply laid them down when we got our diagnoses, but the darn things have us!!
Dawn

Age 43 at DX

DX 3-09 IDC 3.9cm

TN-Stage2-Grade3

Taxolx9, FACx2, halted TX,

Lump.8-25-09..rads x 8wks.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic