FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I am new and have questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rxmaso2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rxmaso2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I am new and have questions
    Posted: May 10 2016 at 8:56am
I was one year with no evidence of disease after my first fight with breast cancer. I had 3 primary tumors in my left breast. I did 12 rounds of Taxol and 4 rounds of A/C. I then had a bilateral mastectomy and 3 lymph nodes removed. No evidence of cancer in the lymph nodes and clean margins after surgery. I was stage 2A. I had a CT scan done in March 2016 and found a large tumor in my left lung several smaller tumors in both lungs. I also have a mass on my left chest wall. I started Gemzar and Carboplatin a month ago. I was told 1.5 years is an opttmistic number of life expectancy. I just want some hope. Has anyone had the same situation with a miracle and lived longer? Thank you.
caregiver20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caregiver20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 11:13am
I'm so sorry to hear about your recurrence, Rxmaso. My wife has had a surprisingly similar experience, although her recurrence has only thus far been found in mediastynal and supraclavicular lymph nodes. I'd encourage you to take a look at some of the immunotherapies that are available. Have you had genetic testing done? My wife did through a company called Oncoplex and it helped us recognize which things might work and which might not. For example, if you're BRCA+ platinum agents can be helpful. Are you sure the most recent tumors are also TN? Sometimes new tumor cells have mutated, perhaps to HER+, which might open up herceptin as an option. There are also clinical trials for a number of options, including PARP inhibitors (again, usually only effective for BRCA+), PD1 or PDL1 inhibitors (if your tumor has the appropriate receptors), and some for those with androgen receptors. Hope that helps. 
Rxmaso2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rxmaso2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 11:24am
Thank you for your response. I am BRCA negative. The tumors were tested and showed triple negative again. My oncologist had additional testing and I'm not a candidate for androgen. He had told me that chemotherapy is the best option for longevity of life. I'm going to have a second opinion on radiation. He has said that radiation is typically only done with terminal patients to manage pain. He is a straight shooter and I have liked that about him, but the most reason news has been extremely tough to handle. I'm glad to hear from people who are experiencing similar situations.
caregiver20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caregiver20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 5:54pm
Sorry to hear all of that - we're in a similar boat, as my wife's tumors seem to lack all targetable receptors. We have her quarterly scans coming up, and are feeling very nervous (she's been having a dry cough and shortness of breath and we're concerned about possible lung mets). I think a second opinion is an excellent choice - I hope they're able to come up with some other options for you. The roller-coaster is certainly not fun! 
gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 6:46pm
Rx: I'm very sorry and hope your oncologists can stabilize your situation, your oncologist is telling you "like it is' , my wife's is also, I don't think radiation is going to help here, but "I'm no doctor", in fact, radiation causes mutations, in my opinion...
My wife has an aggressive cancer, and she has a PET at the end of the month, if I get any info from her team as far as... additional drug therapy, I will pass it along...

let us know how we can help....
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017
praying2016 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote praying2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2016 at 4:42pm
Rx. so you did achieve PCr? I guess this not a surrogate for non recurrence.
may I ask about your age and your KI67? 

stay strong and fight off this thing!! all my prayers with you. 
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2016 at 4:58pm
Rxmaso2,

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this news.  I agree with some of the other suggestions to look into a second opinion and possibly clinical trials.  Are you able to travel for a second opinion?  Look into an NCCN cancer center.  The Gemzar/Carbo may work and get you to NED (no evidence of disease), but it's always a good idea to have Plan B ready. 

Don't give up hope.  There are several ladies with Stage 4 TNBC that have responded to treatment.  

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic