FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
laughs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laughs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Newbie
    Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 3:17am

I am here to learn as much as I can about TNBC.  When first diagnosed I did not even realize there were different kinds of breast cancer.   Well I have learned a lot in the last 6 weeks.  I will be going in for a consult for chemo on the 26th.  Have a list of questions to ask the medical oncologist.   Hoping and praying for the best.

Charlene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 7:54am
Likewise, I never knew about different kinds either!  In the past year, I think I've learned more about breast cancer than I ever wanted to know.  Keep us posted.  There are people on this website who have a wealth of information, as well as tons of moral support.  Best of luck to you.

Charlene

DX 3/10 @59 ILC/TNBC
Stage 1, Grade 2, Multifocal; Lumpectomy/re-excision
SNB 0/4 nodes, BRCA-; Taxotere/Cytoxan X4, 30 rads
3/14:NED
LauraT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LauraT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 8:17am
I agree - it's like when I found out I had cancer and started learning more, I realized there was this whole world out there that I knew nothing about! Having the wonderful people here full of info and encouragement has meant so much to me. Let us know how you are doing and how your appointment goes. Can you tell us a bit of your story? Praying for you as you process all the options and that your treatment will go well.

Love,
Laura

DX 10/09 @44, Stage I IDC tnbc, DCIS other side, Neoadjuvant TCx4, Bilateral Mastectomy w/Recon 1/10, 1.2cm 0/7 Nodes, 5/11 Mets to Lungs/Lymph Nodes, Avastin/Taxol, 10/11 Bone Mets, Xgeva
sue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 10:26am
I never knew there were other kinds either, now I have not stopped looking for answers too.  

Praying for the best for you.  

Sue
Dx 7/10, age 53. TNBC left breast, stage I, grade 3, IDC 0.5 cm, DCI 2.5 cm, 0/8 lymph nodes neg. BRCA-. T/C x4 finished 2/09/11, rads x34 finished 4/21/11.          
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 11:38am
Welcome Laughs.  You're very smart to be researching and getting your list of questions.  Can you tell us a little more about your diagnosis?  Have you had surgery?

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

laughs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laughs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 5:11pm
I had a lumpectomy on 3/22/22 and the tumor was 6.6 cm up from an estimated 2.5 cm at the time of the ultrasound.  The surgeon stated that the imaging does not always reflect the size of the tumor accurately.  It also had about 3 weeks to grow between biopsy and surgery due to somesurgery schedueling issues on both my and the surgeon's part.  Even though I had a 6.6cm tumor the pathology report still put me at stage 2 bc, probably because I had only 2 lymph nodes out of 15 positive for cancer.  The way I see it is this.  I either get to kick breast cancer, or I get to live with my Lord and Savior.  So for me it is a win/win either way.   Of course the second option would be a loss for my family, except for the fact that I will leave an example of a valliant warrior against cancer as a legacy.

Yesterday, late in the evening, I found what I thought might be another lump.  I am trying not to jump to conclusions but set an appointment to see the surgeon on the 27th.  On the 26th I consult with the medical oncologist regarding chemo.  Perhaps he will check it  out first since I am in there.  Of course it would be good to know whether it is another tumor or just some other fluke in case the treatment plan needs adjusting.  Considering the aggressive nature of this form of bc it is best to get it checked ASAP. 

Stage 2, 2/15 nodes, right lumpectomy, age- fifty something.
EileenF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EileenF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 5:24pm
welcome to a caring, informative, cheering on site   i wish you the best and agree check things asap so you can fight if you need to
7/09:IDC,stg 3,Grade3, pos lymph;chemo ACT;12/09 lumpect n lymp disect;1/10 bilat masect/tis exp; rad cmpltd 4/10; 11/10 stg 4 lungs chest axil mets & parp trial;3/11 IBC diag;
JLee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 11:04pm
Hi Everyone,
I am a mother of 2 children, 41 yrs old diagnosed with triple neg bc on Feb 7/11. March 8th had lumpectomy and nodes removed, Stage 2 (2.2 cm tumour removed left breast), Grade 3, nodes were clear and undergoing 8 rounds of chemo every 2 weeks., then will undergo radiation.  Still in shock over this whole ordeal and emotions are high.  Everyone says that they are so proud of me of how positive and upbeat I am but feel as though I am just keeping it together for my family., but deep down inside I am terrified.  My chemo will be finished July 27th and then I will undergo radiation approx. 1 month afterwards.

I really don't know how I'm supposed to feel! How do you get past the fear of recurrence especially when my doctor always reminds me of how invasive this cancer can be!

Scared and confused.
JLee
Kitchener,On

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 11:13pm
JLee,

Hello and welcome.  You've come to a place where we understand how you're feeling.  The hardest part of dealing with TNBC is the fear of recurrence.  I wish I had the magic answer or solution for not worrying, but I've yet to find it.  This forum is wonderful because we can share our feelings and everyone gets it. 

What type of chemo are you getting?  How are your side effects?  Please keep us posted.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 12:18am
Dear JLee,

welcome to our family and sorry you have need to be here..

May I ask has anyone suggested you see a genetics expert and get tested for the BRCA mutation? New NCCN guidelines in the U.S. recommends that every woman with TNBC get tested for the BRCA mutation.

If no one has recommended that you get tested I would suggest that you try to seek a second opinion at Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto..They have a high-risk clinic there and are very familiar with the BRCA mutation.

wishing you good luck and again, welcome.

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
laughs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laughs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 4:11am
J Lee welcome.  My story is just about the same as yours as far as time frames are concerned.  I did however have 2 out of 15 lymph nodes show positive.  Despite having a 6.6 cm tumor at it's largest dimension when they did the lumpectomy I am still only considered stage 2.  I will be having more chemo than you as I finish the first week of Sept.   Then 33 rads.  I think the reason I am still stage 2 is that I had a lot of cells that were called gritty fiberous tissue that needed removing but perhaps were not yet cancer.  I consider still being stage 2 with such a large tumor a sort of miracle of it's own. 

Because I am the person pulling the benefit train in my family I really was worried about recurrence too.  I have always had the attitude of "Tell me the truth no matter how ugly so that I can deal with the facts and get on with life."  I will tell you what I did to adjust though I do not recommend it for all but if you have had practice in dealing with other adversity you may want to consider it. 
I took the worst case scenario and applied my faith to that.  I asked myself given he worst case scenario....... (for me that was to survie TNBC but to have lost all of my brian power to chemo brain and not be able to practice my proffession, reccurrence or not) how can I be ok with that?  Once I answered that question applying my faith, I figured then everything else (a better outcome) was just icing on the cake.  It put my mind at ease and allowed me to set priorites for a future with or without reccurence.   This approach may not work for you.  I only know it worked for me

Steve- thanks for reminding me about the new guidelines as I am about to see the medical oncologist next week and wanted to bring this up again as I have 3 daughters.   The repeating of important information at intervals allows more people to pick up the ball and run with it since thier mind may be preoccupied with other matters when the news just breaks.
Stage 2, 2/15 nodes, right lumpectomy, age- fifty something.
janet c. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janet c. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 3:17pm
JLee
Welcome and sorry you have a reason to be here. First I want to say that most people do actually survive from this and go on to live long lives. That is not to suggest that it couldn't reccur. What I do is very similar to Laughs. I have faith in God to take me in what ever path I have to and just pray for strength. Also the way that I figure it is worst case scenario if I were to die I wouldn't want to spend my remaining time worrying if I might die or not. I would just want to spend it having fun and enjoying life as much as possible. Of course every now and then if a pain comes or cough or something it is natural to get scared but I just try to move from worry and just check it out. Try not to worry too much and the longer you survive the easier it gets.Good luck.
Janet
dx 12/08 @47yrs.old TNBC stage 2a grade 3, 2.1cm. partial mastectomy sentinal node negative BRACA negative Cytocan/Taxatere x4 radiation 36 or 38rounds
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2011 at 3:34am

hello.. i am Mark from USA ,Ak,Anchorage,nice to meet you,im just new here..i'll hope that i can have new friend here..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic