FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Menstruation state after chemo

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: After chemo what was your state of menses?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [42.86%]
2 [14.29%]
4 [28.57%]
1 [7.14%]
1 [7.14%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Valkayri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valkayri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Menstruation state after chemo
    Posted: Jun 15 2009 at 8:07am
Hi All,

I was just looking through the polls and didn't see one that specifically asked this question and I was curious myself anyway so here we go:)

Thanks,
Kara

Edited by Valkayri - Jun 15 2009 at 12:47pm
TNBC May 2008 @35
stage 2, grade 3
3.7 cm & under 1cm
BRCA2+
dose dense, neo-adjuvent
4AC& 4Taxotere
bilateral mast Oct.08
Reconstruction finished Nov 09
www.mishmashin.blogspot.com
Terri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2009 at 11:05am
Kara,
I was dx at age 41 and nowhere near menopause. It has now been a year and 6 months since my last period which stopped after my second chemo tx. I wish it would have come back because my husband & I have no children and wish we could have had one. I have been having hot flashes and many other symptoms of menopause the entire time since stopping my period. Luckily the flashes are getting less frequent!

IDC DX 8/17/07 (age 41)
Stage 1 Grade 1-2, 1.35 cm
2 nodes neg, Lumpectomy 10/07
Chemo: FEC 100 x 6, 35 rads
BRCA 1/2 NEG
PET/CT & Brain CT Nov 09
Brain MRI Aug 2012 NED
asearcy79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asearcy79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2009 at 8:53pm
I am 29 and it has only been 2 months since last chemo but i have no periods yet.  i have hot flashes like crazy, can't sleep and sweet when i do sleep.   accutally having a flash as i type.  there are other menopause symptoms i have as well.  Has anyone done this and there periods still return?
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2009 at 8:42am
IF YOU ARE YOUNG AND HAVEN'T STARTED CHEMO:  I was offered a clinical trial of some drug they would give me that would put my ovaries "to sleep" during chemo, then they would wake them up when I was done.  I declined, my kids are 22 & 16, at 45 I was prolly coming close to menapause anyway, etc. - but I thought it was awesome they had this for someone that was young and wanted children! 

My hot flashes started the night after my first Taxol and they SUCK beyond belief.  I finished chemo last Friday, I'm hoping that getting more than 13 days from a Taxol treatment will make them diminish - I don't care if my periods don't return (haven't had one in 3 months).  My husband put a window unit in our bedroom (in addition to our central air conditioning) so that I can make our bedroom an ice box to try to sleep at night.  It's pretty awesome, I highly recommend it if you are in a hot climate - high humidity. 
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2009 at 2:34pm

I thought this topic would get much more response. I would hope that this is a subject that dr.'s etc would know more about than when I went thru tx in 2001. I was 45 and told that only 10 % would come out to chemo induced menopause at this age. I only had 4 tx. of AC but had a regular period until just prior to my last chemo [then only 2 weeks apart] then abruptly stopped.  10 months later they started up again. I was sad, I had looked upon no menses as a bonus. Fortunately after 6 months of regular periods, they stopped to never return. Hot flashes etc. hasn't been too bad.  I still get them on occasion and at this point, that is annoying.

kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic