FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New ways for preventing recurrence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
alaura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New ways for preventing recurrence
    Posted: Feb 25 2009 at 5:02pm
Weekly Vitamin infusions and mistletoe injections. To some these two things may sound weird but I have 2 Onc's, one of them being a Naturopath Onc. Though I still have 10 of my 30 treatments left we have started talking about prevention. Because TN is so high on the list of recurrence I am very glad my doctors are thinking about my future. I use traditional and nontraditional methods dealing with TN, I figure I will do everything out there to make sure it never comes back. Right now I am receiving weekly vitamin infusions along with chemo and after treatment I will cont. with this for 3 years and add mistletoe injections. My clinic, which is a Cancer Center's of America clinic, has had a lot of success with these two treatments and keeping TN from recurring. With my the 30 weekly chemos, vit. infusion and mistletoe inj. they have told me their success rate is 10% recurrence. That is great news to all of us. If you are interested, ask your docs. about it. Or me and I will tell you all I can.
Alaura
Alaura Keith age 37
dX TNBC Stage 3 July, 08
Neoadjuvant Carbo/Taxol, 13 tx
10 cm lumpectomy, no nodes
17 more Tx started 1/09-05/09
Ellence/Cytoxan
Radiation coming Summer

cg--- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cg--- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2009 at 5:25pm
Dear Alaura,

Injectable Isacador (mistletoe) is not approved by the FDA in the United States. It is used in Europe.

It is an expensive course of treatment and if you have any studies documenting its effectiveness in treatment triple negative breast cancer we would welcome the information.

The concept of vitamin infusions is intriguing. Exactly which vitamins are being infused?

Connie
alaura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2009 at 6:44pm
The inj Isacador is $30 a week, affordable compared to the alternative if I have a recurrence. I have read studies on its success for regular breast cancer and the theory looks to be promising. The vitamins I am receiving through IV for an hour a week are C and B vitamins. My Onc's have had a lot of success with this, especially with TN.
Alaura Keith age 37
dX TNBC Stage 3 July, 08
Ellence/Cytoxan
Radiation coming Summer

krisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 2:37am
hi alaura,
the trouble with mega doses of vitamins is that tumors like vitamins too.
i have opted for eating nutritious whole foods (organic vegetables especially)
and taking  some supplements like vitamin d3, drinking brassica tea, flaxseeds freshly ground and a few other things.  on days when i don't take the time to eat right, i take my gummy bear vitamins.
Smile
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 7:46am
Krisa,

I do know that German, a member from Germany was taking the mistletoe, and apparently they give it to many women with bc. They have an entire program set up for women for after treatments. Spas, retreats...oh yeah...not the Ok you're done now and BTW....good luckOuch

They have not really done studies as to the vitamins, etc, while taking chemo, and in fact I found several article which state that everyone should be taking the D, turmeric and many others. I just posted an article to someone the other day on that very subject.
Nancy
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
alaura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 8:28am
I do take many vitamins along with the infusions. Tumeric, melatonin, Vit D, Acidoph.,pure green tea which has the potency of 40 tea bags, DL Phenal., which has knocked out the hot flashes, and many others. My Onc's. not only study/practice Eastern medicine, but European med, too. They put as much energy into the current situation as they do the future. This is why I posted the info about the prevention of recurrence, I have not seen any posts of people having any future prevention other than scans.
Alaura
Alaura Keith age 37
dX TNBC Stage 3 July, 08
Ellence/Cytoxan
Radiation coming Summer

CarynRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarynRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 8:52am
Alura,

Which CTCA do you go to?  I go to Philadelphia.  So far so good here too.

Caryn
Orig dx 6/03 - St.2a, IDC
gr.3,0 nodes, TNBC/BRCA1+
7/07 St 4 mets to nodes/lungs. PACA/Rads NED 11/07-10/08
Lepto mets 10/08
Rads for 4 brain tumors 4/10.
Leptomets return 6/10
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 9:19am
alaura,

For the life of me I cannot understand why all the oncs are not collaborating with everyone from around the world. It stands to reason that the chemo does a number on your dear bodies...in fact anyone who has chemo. There are life long effects.

Also, if you don't do everything in your power to prevent a recurrence, or another primary, then the first time around seems fruitless. That may sound harsh, but dammit...get it right the first time. Scans...what ...more radiation to see if there is anything there, and then we come to find out that more radiation can actually cause cancer? But let's not take any vitamins or supplement, as they "may" interfere with chemo?

If you do not care for the body during treatments then the body/immune system is almost destroyed.

Does the CTCA actually have studies/data to back up what they are doing? I saw where you posted that the recurrence rate is dropped to 10%? As I said, it seems the mindset with some in the medical profession, is ...well your done now...and BTW...good luck.
Hugs,
Nancy
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
alaura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 9:44am
Nancy, at this point I have not asked for any data. They do have their own data and articles regarding the low dose chemo and neoadjuvant that I received. The neoadjuvant seems such a no brainer to me that I can't believe it is not more common. So everything they have done so far I have seen the data on and I trust since they treat the whole me currently, that what they are wanting to do for my future is the right thing, too. I am an educator though and research based decisions are a way of life for me so I will be asking for some info. if I feel the need.
I have said to my family that I am going to keep everything written down that I am doing and if I have no recurrence I am going to write a small book about it. If it does come back, at least I know I did everything besides galavanting around the world seeing witch doctors. I am even adding special water( I am getting free from a parent of one of my students) and soon 2 wheat grass shots a day to my daily routine.
Alaura
Alaura Keith age 37
dX TNBC Stage 3 July, 08
Ellence/Cytoxan
Radiation coming Summer

smithlme View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithlme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 5:45pm

A recurrence wasn't my problem. 369 days after my first diagnosis and 7 1/2 months after I ended chemo, I was diagnosed with a new primary on the other side. I have since found out I am BRCA 2+. Two mastectomies and a hyster/ooph later, I have done all the surgeries I can to survive.

We all choose to do what we feel is best for our health and very life. I go to the gym several times a week and go to Yoga to heal my body, spirit and soul...

Linda
Dx 3/28/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-, Unilateral Mastectomy, DD AC & DD Taxol
Dx 3/31/08, DCIS, ER+/PR-, Mastectomy
BRCA 2+, Hysterectomy w/BSO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic