FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mets to mediastinum?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BornInWA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BornInWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mets to mediastinum?
    Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 3:41pm
Hi all,

I had a CT scan a few weeks ago that showed a 3.2 x 1.9 cm mediastinal mass with 2 lymph nodes involved in my anterior mediastinum.  I can't find any helpful information online about metastasis to that area.  I had a fine needle biopsy done today and won't have the results back from that for several days.  My oncologist originally told me that the mass was in my lung but they showed me the CT scan report today and it was not in my lung but in my anterior mediastinum. The radiologist confirmed that the mediastinum was the correct location.  I'm a little peeved with my oncologist for giving me incorrect information but that's another matter for another day.  My oncologist ordered a chest and abdomen CT done as well as a bone scan.  I only had the one mass that show up.  Bone scan and abdomen CT were negative.

My background is: DX of triple negative breast cancer IIB to left breast with sentinal lymph node positive(1/7), modified radical mastectomy 12/06 followed by TAC x 6 every three weeks then radiation.  Finished July 3, 2007.  Tumor markers were going up over the last six months so my oncologist ordered a PET/CT but my insurance company wouldn't pay for it so I had chest and abdomen CT (1/30/09) as well as a bone scan (2/9/09).  Got CT and bone scan results on 2/12/09 with a CT guided fine needle biopsy on 2/23/09 for what I thought was a lung mass but was actually a anterior mediastinal mass with 2 involved lymph nodes. 

Can anyone help me with this?  I'd appreciate any information that I can get.
DX 11/06 Stage IIB, Grade 3, IDC, Negative for BRAC 1&2
Modified Radical Mastectomy, chemo TAC x 6 (every 3 weeks), Radiation.
DX mets to mediastinum 02/09.
Currenly on Taxol/Avastin.
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 4:06pm
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
BrendaF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendaF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 4:51pm
Hello,

My mets were first mediastinal nodes, diagnosed in December 2007.  I had one node that was protruding into my airway and causing a cough.  Mets was confirmed through a bronchoscopy that took some cells from the largest node.  I had chemo (carboplatin and taxotere) six treatments January through April, 2008.  I had a great response to chemo, and was stable until my CT scan in November, 2008, when there was a slight bit of hilar (another area in the lung) node adenopathy.  Since it was a small amount, and not clearly mets, my onc and I decided to wait and watch, and rescan in two months.  So, we rescanned in January, and the nodes are still stable, so I am not on chemo.

The bad thing was, that I developed a very small brain met.  I just had a feeling that something wasn't right, and my onc ordered a brain MRI just to be sure, and that tiny spot showed up.  I had it zapped in early January.  My organs still are clear, and we are not positive that the hilar lymphadenopathy is even mets, just assume it is because of my history.

I have my follow-up brain MRI tomorrow, to check the results from the Gammaknife.  I feel really good, and I'm hopeful for a long time of stable disease.

Edited by BrendaF - Feb 23 2009 at 4:58pm
Dx 2005 2 cm, 5/12 nodes, A/C + T, 28 rads.
Dx mets 12/07 mediastinal and supraclavicular nodes, carbo + taxotere X 6.
brain, lymph, pleura, bone mets. Started Xeloda 8/24/09
BornInWA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BornInWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 5:57pm
Thanks Nancy and Brenda,

I really appreciate your responses.  I guess I'll know more when I talk to my Onc.  I read most of those articles but they leave me a little puzzled still.  I'm just so dissatisfied with the level of care I've gotten up to this point.  Is it unrealistic to expect to know the results of a CT scan within a few days of the doctor getting the results instead of several weeks?  I'll be calling around tomorrow for a referral to another doc for a second opinion.  I certainly expect that there will be some chemo in my near future.  I just hope they don't keep dragging their feet.  It's so frustrating when you don't feel that your own doctor is in your corner. 

Hugs to you both,

Beth
BornInWA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BornInWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 5:05pm
I just got a call from my oncologist.  The biopsy of the mediastinal mass and two positive lymph nodes came back positive for recurrence of my breast cancer.  I have an appointment with him on Wednesday to discuss what comes next.  I also called and made an appointment for a second opinion with one of the doctors at Moores Cancer Center at UCSD.  I'm going to pick up a copy of my records from my current doctor and take them over to UCSD as soon as I can.  I'm hoping that she can see me sooner than my scheduled appointment on March 22nd.  I don't want to wait more than three weeks to get started with something.  I wasn't feeling too good today and have been having a strange pain in my ribs on my left side. 

If I really like the doctor at UCSD I may just switch to her.  I feel like they have a more comprehensive practice there and a lot more resources.  It's a longer drive but worth it if it means better care.

I know that a recurrence as a mediastinal mass is not common so I feel like I'm just twisting in the wind a little bit.  Scary, scary, scary.  Any encouraging words would be very much welcome.

Beth

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic