FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sympathies for family of Nancy Block-Zenna

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Joan2844 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joan2844 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sympathies for family of Nancy Block-Zenna
    Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 9:49am
Ladies: There are many brave women who have helped pave the way for each of us. Nancy Block-Zenna seems to be one such woman. Photos of the inaugural fund raiser are on this website (see the "Peace, Love and a Cure" information on most TNBC screens.   

For 2½ years, Nancy Block-Zenna gamely battled triple negative breast cancer, a virulent form of the disease unresponsive to most treatments.

The onetime New York City schoolteacher found support in a group of friends who established the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Foundation. As honorary founder, Block-Zenna was front and center at the foundation's inaugural fund-raiser June 6 at the Alpine home of Malaak Compton-Rock and her husband, comedian Chris Rock.

"Nancy always had hope -- she never gave up," David Zenna said of his wife, who died Sunday at their Cresskill home. She was 37.

Through two major surgeries and other treatments, Block-Zenna remained totally focused on living life. That meant caring for daughter Jolie, now 5, and overseeing the renovation of the family's new house, David Zenna said.

"She was a very strong and determined woman," he added.

Block-Zenna, a Brooklyn native, was diagnosed with breast cancer in early 2005, while the family was living in North Bergen. At one point, David Zenna, who works in advertising sales, thought his insurance at work would not cover some of his wife's treatments. So a childhood friend of Nancy's stepped in, selling towels to raise money for the medical expenses.

Insurance ended up covering expenses. That's when Andrea Schackner Maline, Allison Axenrod and Hayley Dinerman -- who all met Block-Zenna when their children were in the same baby music class in Englewood -- suggested that the towel-sale proceeds be used to launch a foundation supporting research into triple negative breast cancer.

The foundation received its tax-exempt status this year. The "Peace, Love and a Cure" fund-raiser at the Rocks' home drew about 240 people and raised $230,000, said Maline, a non-practicing lawyer from Norwood who is the foundation's chairwoman.

The foundation plans to use some of the money to co-sponsor a triple negative breast cancer symposium just before the 30th annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium in December.

Barbara Waters, manager of education, outreach and advocacy for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation's North Jersey affiliate, said the term "triple negative breast cancer" was coined about two years ago to describe an aggressive form of the disease that is estrogen receptor-negative, progesterone receptor-negative and HER2 (human epidermal growth factor receptor) negative.

"The emergence of triple negative breast cancer needs a heads-up," Waters said.

The foundation formed in Nancy Block-Zenna's honor plans another fund-raiser next year.

In addition to her husband and daughter, she is survived by her parents, Rochelle and Stanley Block, and brother Jonathan Block, all of Brooklyn.

The funeral is 9:30 am. today at Eden Memorial Chapels in Fort Lee. Burial will be at New Montefiore Cemetery in Farmingdale, N.Y.

article source: http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk0JmZnYmVsN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3MTc4ODkw

The family suggested donations to the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Foundation, Box 204, Norwood, NJ 07648. Its Web site is tnbcfoundation.org.

Edited by Admin - Aug 09 2007 at 3:00pm
fd411 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fd411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 5:21pm
It's always sad to hear of a sister's passing. My condolences go out to her family.

Thank you Joan for posting this.
Ferne
2006 - Stage IIIA IDC; TAC, lumpectomy, rads
5/07 Mets to lungs, chest, supe clav and axillary nodes
7/07 Skin mets, neck nodes
9/07 Liver mets, more nodes
1/08 Brain Mets, more nodes
Skippy123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 7:50pm
To the family of Nancy Block-Zenna and friends of Nancy and founders of this website, I want to say that I am very sorry for your loss.  My heart goes out to Nancy's little girl Jolie, and her husband who has been at her side during this ordeal.  I have 2 little girls ages 4 and 6.  I know what Nancy must have felt when first diagnosed 2 years ago. 

I have just been diagnosed as of mid July.  I am traveling back to Austin TX tomorrow from vacationing in San Diego and will begin my journey through treatment beginning with my first round of chemotherapy on Wednesday the 15th.  I had a second opinion today and have been feeling especially upbeat today despite having felt despondent during the last several weeks. 

Despite today's devastating news of Nancy's passing, I'm still feeling optimistic.  I need for you to know that this website through support by the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Foundation has provided me with so much information and comfort during the past 2-3 weeks.  My family and friends have been there for me, but the website and discussion boards have provided me with a wealth of information. 

Please know that Nancy's original diagnosis fueled your passionate endeavors that have had significant impact on the well-being of many of us. 

Nancy Block-Zenna is very much alive in me!  Because of her, I have a lifeline and a connection to a sisterhood that comforts and supports me.  The women who have found this site and actively participate within the discussion boards are so important to me right now. 

Thank you,
Skippy in Austin

DX July 2007
Stage IIA,
Triple Neg.
CalGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 4:26pm
To the friends and family of Nancy Block-Zenna, my deepest condolences on the loss of your wife, mother, daughter, friend ...

Previously, before I started posting here, I read the "bio" of the tnbc foundation, but had not heard specifics about the "friend with trip neg bc" that inspired it and hoped that she was alive and doing well. 

I'm so sorry to hear of her passing.   But how great and positive, that she had such a wonderful group of caring, thoughtful and capable friends to assist her  ... and other triple negatives by starting this foundation.

With my initial triple neg bc dx in 2004, I can relate to the startling realization  of exactly what being a "triple negative" meant ...   Foremost, was a sense of neglect/oversight from the greater bc community ... both in terms of lack of research, lack of doctor's experience with us and lack of others with this type of bc ...   Unfortunately, due to two different mets dx in less than two years and reason to re-do my research, I can see that "triple negs" are getting more attention ... and I'm glad to see this TNBC foundation ... and be a part of it.

CalGal
Los Angeles
BRCA1
9/04 Bi-lat lump, clear SNB
38x Rad'tn
12/05 Recurr bc & mets to liver
06 the year of chemo
NED for 13 mos until 7/07
Lung met. PARP trial until ...
2/08 Liver mets again
Ronda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2007 at 3:09pm
Words can not express the impact of Nancy's passing nor can they comfort the family and friends who will forever miss her.   I did not know Nancy personally but I am eternally grateful that she took the time out of her life to make sure an avenue was created for those of us who were left isolated by this disease.  When I read of her passing I was deeply saddend and once again confronted with my own mortality.  I choose to be re-inspired and stay positive and to savour each moment as Nancy did.  Thank you Nancy for all you've done for us, and hugs of comfort to your family in this tragic time of sorrow.  You made a difference.

Ronda
Portland Oregon
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2007 at 4:09am
Yes Joan thank you for posting this for us.  I only learned of Nancy's passing over the week-end and am just heartbroken for her family and friends.  Also I feel angry that there is so little being done to help those like Nancy, so young and just getting a good start on life.
Warm hugs to all who loved her,
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
CINDY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 4:06pm
My thoughts & prayers go out to you and Nancy's family. It's hard to hear that someone so young and beautiful has left us. I too have triple negative breast cancer and it's a scary thought to know what my future could hold. But I will hope and pray for the best and that I over come this.  Stay strong and hold everyday you had with her in your heart. She will always be there.

Cindy
poookyquilting View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote poookyquilting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2007 at 12:29pm
FERNE,
I'M ALSO STAGE IIIA, TUMOR WAS 5.2CM, ONE NODE OUT OF 10 WAS POSITIVE FOR CANCER. I AM ALSO TAKING ADRIAMYCIN, TAXOTERE, AND CYTOXAN; I'M TAKING MY THIRD OF SIX TREATMENTS TOMORROW. I FINISH JANUARY 11TH AND IN FEBRUARY WILL START RADIATION (SIX WEEKS). I HAD A MASTECTOMY ON THE LEFT BREAST AND LUMPECTOMY (ACTUALLY BIOPSY) ON RIGHT..THEY SAID IT WAS LUMPECTOMY. ANYWAY...DID YOUR ONCOLOGISTS GIVE YOU A STATISTIC ON YOUR ODDS OF BEATING IT? MY ONCOLOGIST TOLD ME I HAVE A 60/40 CHANCE OF BEATING IT. THOSE DON'T SOUND LIKE VERY GOOD ODDS AND EVERYTHING I READ I'VE SEEN THE ODDS AS LOW AS 57 PERCENT FOR MY DIAGNOSIS. YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS FERNE. I AM 56 YEARS OLD AND WAS DIAGNOSED JUNE 12, 2007, SURGERY AUGUST 2007 STARTED CHEM SEPT. 2007.
partner to one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote partner to one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 6:47pm
As soon as we get back on our feet (Becky has not worked since her diagnosis) we will be donating to this great site.

Things are very hard for us now, but that will not always be the case. Becky was the major wage earner for our family. When she got her diagnosis of triple negative breast cancer she stopped working and concentrated on just beating the cancer.

It drained a lot of our savings (as you know insurance does not cover it all) and then we had our everyday living expenses. She will be going back to work hopefully in June if she feels up to it. (looking good).

We will not forget those that helped us emotionally and financially. A lot of her friends sent money to help with things and it was appreciated. Soon we will be in a position to send those blessings forward, and you have a wonderful site dedicated to a beautiful woman that loved life.

I am happy for all those that knew her and thankful for all the help she is giving even when she had gone to heaven. I am sure she is proud of all the hard work and good news that is being spread because of this web site.

Thanks,

Dave and Becky
Reyna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reyna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2009 at 9:41pm
thank you , thank you , thank you1

Huges and kisses!
Reyna
48yrs. married/no kids
TNBC/stage11-B/grade3/mastectomy in feb 08/And 4 chemo A/C.
Reyna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reyna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2009 at 10:03pm
thank you very very nuch !
every time a see nancy!s picture , i can!t believe a beautifull girl died becaue of breast cancer. please help us to find the cure!.!
Huges and kisses!
Reyna
48yrs. married/no kids
TNBC/stage11-B/grade3/mastectomy in feb 08/And 4 chemo A/C.
HolliBeri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolliBeri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 5:52pm
Thanks to Nancy & Co. for creating this forum. It has been a blessing to connect with other TNBC sisters.

What Cancer CANNOT Do~
It cannot cripple Love
It cannot shatter Hope
It cannot corrode Faith
It cannot destroy Peace
It cannot kill Friendship
It cannot suppress Memories
It cannot silence Courage
It cannot invade the Soul
It cannot steal Eternal Life
It cannot conquer the Spirit.
-Author Unknown
DX age 45:12/08 IDC & DCIS TNBC. 2/09:lumpectomy, 2 cm, grade 3, -nodes, stage IIa, BRCA- Chemo:Taxotere/Cytoxan x4.Double mastectomy 6/09. Zometa   http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/hollisimpsongough
allenmacario View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenmacario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2010 at 11:06am
I know, no amount of words can heal all the pain that her family and loved ones who was left behind felt right until moment... and my heart goes with them. I have lost a very important person in my life because of cancer and the pain is more than we can imagine.

This doesn't mean that she lost the fight. She was brave enough, heads up while dealing with it. Let's just remember that she is at rest now. No more pain and suffering. And the people she touched the life would remember her for the rest of their lives.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic