FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cold therapy info....gloves or booties

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cold therapy info....gloves or booties
    Posted: Oct 25 2021 at 2:50pm
My friend will be starting chemo in a couple weeks and is interested in cold therapy. Mainly for controlling neuropathy, so gloves and booties. She is having a reoccurrence of endometrial cancer and will be getting carboplatin and paclitaxal. [sp?] I was able to find Steve's link to the Mayo cold cap info but haven't been able to pull up any other info or links on this site.  

Has anyone purchased the equipment and where? 

thanks, 

Kirby
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2021 at 6:40pm
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

cookie54 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2021 at 8:19pm
https://www.amazon.com/NatraCure-Cold-Therapy-Socks-Treatment/dp/B003L4WOKG

Hi So here is a link to the socks I used on both my hands and feet. They worked perfectly,
you just take out the ice pack and freeze it and pop back in to use. I found these to be the most reasonably priced also. Best wishes to your friend!
8/16,IDC,StageIA,Gr3,0/1 nodes ER-PR-HER2-
9/16 BMX,AC
6/20,StageIIIC,Gr3,ER-/PR-HER2-
6/20 Carbo/Gem/pembro
10/20 ALND 5/8 nodes,Rad x25
11/20 thyroid ca
Xeloda2/21
Stage IV 6/22 lung mets

kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2021 at 12:18am
thanks so much, especially such quick response. I’ve passed the info on. We’ll see if she has more questions. 

Cookie, did it stop u from having neuropathy altogether? Did you use them each time you were dx’d? 

Kirby
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
cookie54 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2021 at 4:55pm
Your very welcome! I used it for the 2020 chemo specifically for the carboplatin, worked like a charm! No signs of neuropathySmile
8/16,IDC,StageIA,Gr3,0/1 nodes ER-PR-HER2-
9/16 BMX,AC
6/20,StageIIIC,Gr3,ER-/PR-HER2-
6/20 Carbo/Gem/pembro
10/20 ALND 5/8 nodes,Rad x25
11/20 thyroid ca
Xeloda2/21
Stage IV 6/22 lung mets

ChiLW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChiLW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2021 at 11:39pm
Hi. I had paclitaxel, and used the NatraCure Cold Therapy Socks, and Healthy Hands Hand Ice Pack Wrap, both from Amazon. The cold was fairly uncomfortable for me, but I tried to stick with them. I did take the right mitten off and on to scroll on my iPad during my infusions without thinking it would make much of a difference. I now have some numbness of fingers on my right hand, and dark lines on the edges of several fingernails on my right hand. No one mentioned “nail toxicity” as a side effect of paclitaxel, but upon looking it up, it is reported- including dark lines, infections with pus, fungal infections… No issues with my left hand. Just a heads-up to anyone interested… Best wishes to everyone.
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2021 at 7:21am
very good to know. thanks
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2021 at 2:09pm
did you only use 1 set of gloves and booties? Did they last through the whole infusion time or did u have to switch them out? Did u use dry ice or did your infusion center have a freezer for switching. 

Thanks again for replies. My friend is trying to be very organized. 
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
ChiLW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChiLW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2021 at 7:20pm
Hi. I only had one set of gloves and booties, which I kept in my home freezer in between my weekly infusions, and carried to the hospital in an insulated lunch box (I didn’t add an ice pack). The gloves and booties stayed frozen during my commute (about 30 minutes), while I had blood work and waited for the results (about 1 hour), and were still semi-frozen by the end of my 30 minute paclitaxel infusion. I put them on just before my chemo infusion started, and took them off within a few minutes of it ending. (It is recommended that they are put on about 10-15 mins prior to the infusion starting and kept on about 10-15 mins after it ends, but I’m pretty cold intolerant, and was too uncomfortable.) My infusion center is at a medical center, and they had a freezer and some gloves to loan, but I preferred having my own. I dropped my gloves and booties off upon arrival, and the nurse stored them in their freezer on the days that I had a doctor’s appointment before my infusion so they wouldn’t thaw out. I wore disposable rubber gloves under the cold gloves, and cotton socks under the booties.

As I mentioned earlier, I have some neuropathy and nail changes of fingers on my right hand since I didn’t wear the right glove consistently. My left hand is okay. I also think the booties helped- although I have some slight numbness of the bottom of my feet, which I assume is mild neuropathy, but no nail changes. Overall, it’s probably worth wearing both the gloves and booties, if your friend can tolerate the cold. She should check with her infusion center, as they may have loaner gloves and/or booties that she could use. They may also have a freezer to store hers if she has a long commute, or if that would be easier for her.

Hope this info helps. Wishing her the best, as well as everyone else.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic