FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Practices for Palliative Care for MBC PTs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Practices for Palliative Care for MBC PTs
    Posted: Jul 07 2021 at 9:54am
Dear beloved TNBC family,

I struggled as to where to post this thread on Best Practices for Palliative Care for Patients With Metastatic Breast Cancer authored by
Naoto Ueno, MD PhD at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.

https://medpagetoday.com/asco/breast-cancer/93427?xid=nl_mpt_DHE_2021-07-07&eun=g466704d0r&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_

Here are the checklists-

https://ascopubs.org/na101/home/literatum/publisher/asco/journals/content/op/2021/op.2021.17.issue-4/op.20.00622/20210404/images/large/op.20.00622t2.jp

I am honored to call Dr. Ueno a friend, for the last 10+ years, and one of his research interests is the treatment of women with Metastatic Breast Cancer. He is a dedicated physician with a caring heart.

From my experience as a patient advocate I have found this topic to be very important. 
It is often extremely difficult for an oncologist or oncology nurse to be able to find the time to offer Palliative Care support services. I would encourage anyone who is being treated at a center with a Palliative Care unit to try to get a referral from their oncologist to the Palliative Care unit and the checklists are a useful tool to help manage your expectations for Palliative Care.

From my experience there is no 'easy' with MBC but often, I have seen, patients experience a better quality of life with the help of Palliative (Supportive) Care experts.

with my love to all here,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic