FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newly Diagnosed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tasmaniand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasmaniand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newly Diagnosed
    Posted: Jun 14 2021 at 2:39pm
Hello, my name is Judy and I was diagnosed with ER+ / HER2- on 5/11. Mammo showed 7mm tumor, biopsy showed 1.2cm invasive ductal carcinoma. I was referred to Seattle Cancer Care Alliance where pathology slides were reviewed and it was determined the cancer was actually TNBC. I had a breast MRI on 6/4 and tumor was listed as just under 3cm with no node involvement seen. A 6mm mass was also seen nearby, along with a 18mm liver mass, both are being investigated this week for malignancy.  Genetic testing was negative for the 47 most common breast cancer genes. The last month has been a real roller coaster and my mental health is not so good (to say the least)!!  This waiting is REALLY hard. Family history of BC is strong - mother DCIS at 62, sister TPBC at 43 (she was diagnosed with same breast recurrence last August and had mastectomy and is just finishing up chemo). Meanwhile, her 32 year old daughter, my niece, was diagnosed with stage IV ovarian cancer in February, just 4 days after giving birth to her first child. Her cancer had spread to liver, gallbladder & colon....then I was diagnosed. If liver and additional breast mass are negative, I'm leaning toward lumpectomy, node biopsy, chemo and radiation.  Where I am really confused right now is about neoadjuvant chemo, as I have read it is the "standard" for TNBC, yet when I asked my SCCA oncologist about beginning it, she said "there is no known study that shows neoadjuvant chemo for TNBC results in better DFP or OS". Can anyone advise.  Thanks so much for listening.  Kudos to all you strong women...hope I can be half as brave.

Judy 
NatureYogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NatureYogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2021 at 9:13pm
Hello All,

I'm not "newly" diagnosed, just new to this site. I was diagnosed on Feb 11 with TNBC/Inflammatory BC Stage IIIC Grade 3. I started chemo on March 10 DD AC/T x4, tomorrow is my last Taxol treatment. Several of my nodes were swollen and protruding, after second AC the swelling went down. Now the MO and surgeon say they don't feel the nodes at all. So I am grateful for this. MRI on June 29, meet with surgeon for surgery game plan, DMX, lymph node removal. Radiation to follow, possibly oral chemo. Everything has happened so fast, glad to have chemo almost behind me, hope to be able to move forward with surgery next. 

DX 2/11/2021 Stage 3C Grade 3 TNBC/IBC Chemotherapy AC/T DD
NatureYogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NatureYogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2021 at 9:26pm
Tasmaniand,

Sorry for all the chaos you and our family are going through, my heart goes out to you. Keep us posted on your findings with the tests, the waiting is the hardest. Once you get a plan, things will move fast. 
As far as neoadjuvant chemo, in my case I had to have the chemo first. My nodes were "matted" and things were a mess, swollen breast and swollen right arm. By second treatment all swelling went down.
Praying all goes well for you and your family!
DX 2/11/2021 Stage 3C Grade 3 TNBC/IBC Chemotherapy AC/T DD
cookie54 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2021 at 10:14pm
Hi Judy, sorry you find yourself here but glad you found this site as you are not alone.
Yes the waiting is extremely hard and you will feel better when you have a definite plan.
For you and your doctors to be able to make the best decisions it's important to have all your results back. I can understand why your are questioning neoadjuvant chemo vs
adjuvant. When I was first diagnosed (2016)I was stage 1 no node involvement and had a BMX followed by chemo. I then had a recurrence(2020) in my axillary nodes and chest wall(Stage 3c) and had chemo first followed by ALND then XRT. For my recurrence my MO wanted to see how the cancer responded to the chemo. So basically when the nodes where removed and sent to pathology they could see if I had a pcr, which I did not. So I am now currently on Xeloda to help reduce the chance of another recurrence.

So I feel as though everyone's situation is somewhat different. Many of these decisions are made based on  type of surgery, tumor size, grade, stage etc. I can't say for sure that my MO ever mentioned neoadjuvant treatment didn't make a difference in the DFP or OS.
Sounds like you are on top of things which is great, we all need to research and be our own advocates for our health. I have no doubt that you will be as strong as all of us here! Best wishes for you and your family and prayers for good results.
8/16,IDC,StageIA,Gr3,0/1 nodes ER-PR-HER2-
9/16 BMX,AC
6/20,StageIIIC,Gr3,ER-/PR-HER2-
6/20 Carbo/Gem/pembro
10/20 ALND 5/8 nodes,Rad x25
11/20 thyroid ca
Xeloda2/21
Stage IV 6/22 lung mets

Vivian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2021 at 3:14pm
Hi Judy, 

I had neoadjuvant chemo. It helps to know if the chemo works. I was also treated at SCCA. If you want to chat more, you can send me a private message; let me know if you want me to do it if the forum's features are new to you. All the best to your treatment! 

Vivian
Dx 12-27-2019 TN,Stg 1, Grade 3 Ultrasound 1.5cm/MRI 1.8cm, node-,BRAC-.
DD AC x 4, ultrasound cCR;
DD T x 4
Lumpectomy:5-28-2020; 0/2 nodes. pCR.
Radiation: 20x
Amrit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2021 at 4:37pm
Dear Judy,
I was diagnosed in Oct 2020. I was also treated with neoadjuvant 4xAC and 12xT for my TNBC.  A month ago, I had bilateral mastectomy. Both my surgeon and oncologist recommended chemo before surgery.  This shows whether the tumor responds to the treatment.  I did not achieve pCR but I had reduction in tumor. Therefore, I will be doing adjuvant oral chemo after few weeks.
Wish you all the best for the treatment.
Amrit
11/3/20 IDC 2cm, brca1+, AC-T neoadjuvant treatment, bi-MX 5/26/21, Hysterect 7/19/21, Olaparib (Lynpraza) 8/5/21,
tasmaniand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasmaniand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2021 at 5:47pm
Hi Vivian, would love to chat with you about your experience at SCCA. If you could set up to private msg me, that would be great. Thanks !
Vivian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2021 at 1:10pm
Judy Please check your private message. -Vivian
Dx 12-27-2019 TN,Stg 1, Grade 3 Ultrasound 1.5cm/MRI 1.8cm, node-,BRAC-.
DD AC x 4, ultrasound cCR;
DD T x 4
Lumpectomy:5-28-2020; 0/2 nodes. pCR.
Radiation: 20x
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic