FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Survivor..post treatment 1.5 year

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PositivePolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PositivePolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Survivor..post treatment 1.5 year
    Posted: Dec 18 2020 at 10:38am
Hello All! My diagnosis was May 2018...stage2B, metastic to lymphnodes, IDC (Invasive ductal carcinoma), grade 3. In June 2018 I had a lumpectomy...and at that same surgery had the port for chemo installed in my chest. It was very cool and alien like...I called it my "little buddy". I had 16 rounds of chemo (every other week) starting in August 2018, took a few months off and finished by Christmas 2018. Radiation began in February 2019...every day for 40 days..completed in April 2019. I want to say that I was unaware of this site back then and only found this site a short time ago...post treatment 1 year at this current time. From what I've read thus I am hoping to share my story to make it easier and fun. It goes by fast and when you are done, you go back to your life.

It was smoothe sailing for me. I was 43 years old when I was diagnosed and have never had any surgeries or serious physical injury. I am a caregiver for an Army veteran  (I am an AF Veteran). A support system would be nice if you have one. My support was the medical staff. I relied heavily on my Navigator to tell me where to be and when. Once a diagnosis was made, my schedule for the next whole year was booked..lol..its very inconvenient to have cancer! 

Cancer has what I call "perks" too. When you go out to eat, strangers will pay your meals! It's a full body electrolysis without the pain of lasers for hair removal! I loved it! My hair was shoulder length, so prior to starting chemo I had it buzzed down, not bald. It was so cute on me! I had always wondered what my head would be like bald...my little Stubbs started to fall out the day after my 2nd chemo. I didnt want to see big chunks of hair come out, so it was pretty easy when the littles dropped. I noticed little hairs on my pillow and went to the mirror. I literally rubbed them off my head with a towel. I was tenderhearted prior to treatment, after all this I am no longer. For me, when my hair fell out, it was as if each follicle was a needle...very sensitive. My scalp was sore. So I got a hat with a soft liner. I slept with it on so when I laid on my pillow it didnt hurt. This was a very different and really awesome experience to have no hair! First, I didnt remember I was bald cuz I didnt need a mirror.  I'd walk past a store window and be surprised to see me! No hair in your mouth, food, shower..amazing! Eyelashes, eyebrows, nose hairs...those all went too. It was fun when i could pinch my nose and my nostrils would stick together! The boogers are different! Come to find out I have a very nice head. Random people everywhere I went complimented my bald head! Weird compliment at first but very encouraging. I didnt care that I was bald...feeling the sweat for the first time is cool...and the wind on your scalp...its was all new sensations that I felt lucky to experience. Without cancer I'd probably never be bald...so thank you! I was too stressed out during my whole ordeal from other stuff that I believe the stress kept my mind occupied on those other things versus the cancer. My first surgery ever was the lumpectomy and port insert. No pain, no discomfort, just a regular day but with a drain tube for a few days.  The drain hole left a small scar, the port insert left a small scar, the lumpectomy left a small scar and the lymph node dissection left a medium scar. These are Warrior tattoos, doesnt bother me at all.It's cute when other doctors comment on the surgeon's work when they see your scars. Joyce Moore did mine and the consensus is , "soooooo, what a beautiful job she did". I was a little modest prior to this, but it wasn't long before I was totally comfy in no top.Sonetines I would say to the doctor, "wanna see my boobies?" This is the one time in your life you get to say stuff like that and get a completely different reaction that in other instances! Everyone appreciates the humor. I never felt "sick". I feel the same today as then and during most of the treatments. Cancer was also a great start to reprogram my metabolism. BTW, the only medicine I had from beginning to end was marijuana. I didnt need anything else. My white blood cell count never really dropped much throughout it all either. I didnt realize how fortunate I was until recently. The other patients became my friends. I'd see the same faces, see new ones. Recently, the last of my cancer friends passed. From my little bubble I am the only survivor. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic