FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cathy S, 1946-2020

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cathy S, 1946-2020
    Posted: Oct 07 2020 at 12:33am
Dear TNBC family,

I feel that I need to write about my friend Cathy. I helped her for the last 3+ years and we became good friends. She was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2015 and did not receive good advice/treatment but I was able to help her from 2017 on and she received very good care. But, she had very difficult disease.

She was one of my personal heroes. No matter how difficult various surgeries, chemo and radiation therapy were, she never complained. When she 'rang the bell' after 5 1/2 weeks of radiation therapy she was cheered by new-found fellow patient friends, nurses and radiation oncologists. That's just who she was.

She graced everyone she met with her presence. She was very bright, funny and had a wonderfully positive attitude. One of her great joys was watching my grandchildren grow up from the pictures I send her. She loved seeing their development and I loved sending the photos to her and hearing her joy.

Covid prevented me with being at her last consult about ten days ago. Present were her Breast Medical Oncologist, Chair of the Breast Cancer Clinic at a important Cancer Center and the Head of Palliative Care at the same hospital to tell her that they felt that her recently diagnosed brain mets should not be treated as things were too advanced. They are both extraordinarily gifted physicians and lovely people. Also present was her brother who flew across the country to be with her and take her back home. 

She passed a few days ago in her family farm, the home she grew up in, surrounded by much love from her family. That was her final wish. It was a miracle she made it home and I am delighted she did. She was at peace.

Not too many places on this planet where I can unburden this old soul and know that the audience will understand. Thank you my dear TNBC family.

Good bye, dear Cathy. Thank you for enriching my life by being you. 

with my love to all here,

Steve

I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2020 at 12:07pm
Steve,

Cathy sounded like a wonderful woman and I'm glad you were her friend.  May she be in peace.

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Debbie54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2020 at 4:13pm
Steve,
I'm sorry to hear about your friend Cathy. I think we can gain some inspiration from hearing her story. I'm glad she was able to make it home. Thanks for sharing.

Debbie
Amrit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2021 at 2:21pm
What a wonderful woman! May she rest in peace!
cookie54 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2021 at 7:39pm
Cathy sounded like she was an extraordinary person. May God bless her soul and rest in peace. She was very lucky to have you as an advocate and friend.
8/16,IDC,StageIA,Gr3,0/1 nodes ER-PR-HER2-
9/16 BMX,AC
6/20,StageIIIC,Gr3,ER-/PR-HER2-
6/20 Carbo/Gem/pembro
10/20 ALND 5/8 nodes,Rad x25
11/20 thyroid ca
Xeloda2/21
Stage IV 6/22 lung mets

Plume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 1:08pm
Oh Steve, what a wonderful story of love and friendship, courage and endurance.  It's the sort of account that makes me cry and smile at the same time.  It makes me want to count my own blessings.

Thank you for telling us about Cathy.  It's made me feel that I too want to be brave and make the best of my life.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic