FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FDA Warning Atezolizumab/Paclitaxel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FDA Warning Atezolizumab/Paclitaxel
    Posted: Sep 08 2020 at 3:36pm
FDA issues alert regarding efficacy and safety of Atezolizumab/Paclitaxel in Breast Cancer

https://www.onclive.com/view/fda-issues-alert-regarding-efficacy-and-safety-of-atezolizumab-paclitaxel-in-breast-cancer?eKey=c3RldmVAc2FnZXBhdGllbnRhZHZvY2F0ZXMub3Jn

"The FDA has issued an alert that the phase3 IMpassion131 trial failed to show the effectiveness of atezolizumab plus paclitaxel in treatment-naïve patients in inoperable 
locally advanced or metastatic triple negative breast cancer."

I attended a breast cancer seminar last fall and one of the experts was asked about immunotherapy for breast cancer and he expressed doubts about using immunotherapy drugs for breast cancer as compared to other cancers. Having said that, I am not saying folks should make immunotherapy part of their treatment plan or not. 

Also, the FDA warns "that practitioners should not substitute paclitaxel protein-bound with paclitaxel in clinical practice" so for those of you starting paclitaxel please check with your Breast Medical Oncologist that you are receiving 'regular' paclitaxel.

with my love to all here,

Steve 
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2020 at 12:01pm
Thanks for posting this Steve.  It looks like the warning at this time is for Taxol, but not Abraxane.  We'll have to see if they change the authorization in the future for Abraxane. 

FDA is alerting health care professionals, oncology clinical investigators, and patients that a clinical trial studying the use of atezolizumab (Tecentriq) and paclitaxel (Taxol) in patients with previously untreated inoperable locally advanced or metastatic triple negative breast cancer (mTNBC) showed the drug combination did not work to treat the disease.  

Atezolizumab in combination with paclitaxel (Taxol) is not approved for use in breast cancer. However, atezolizumab in combination with paclitaxel protein-bound (Abraxane)—a different combination therapy—is currently approved for the treatment of adult patients with mTNBC whose tumors express PD-L1 (PD-L1 stained tumor-infiltrating immune cells of any intensity covering ≥ 1% of the tumor area), as determined by an FDA-approved test. Continued approval of atezolizumab in combination with paclitaxel protein-bound may be contingent on proven benefit of the treatment in additional trials.

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2020 at 8:39pm
I believe there is a little more detail in this release..some duplication from original post and Donna's but some more context, I feel.

with my love to all here,

I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
Lulabelle39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulabelle39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2020 at 9:16am
I have to agree with Donna a+t works for some... so far I am that some I’ve had an amazing response to immuno and had my first scan today Abraxane and Tecentriq are doing well for me so far. It’s important the facts are out there as it would be awful if a miscommunication put even one person off Tecentriq and Abraxane as my professor said when they work they work really well and she headed impassion with a+t in my area. 
I’ll also add anecdotal for inspiration I know women on pac and ten that got shrinkage and I know women on Abraxane and Tecentriq who got NED at their first three month scan. We are individuals and respond as such it’s finding the key that unlocks your genetics and tumour.
I will be hopefully having 6 more Abraxane then onto maintenance. I’m saying a prayer to the lord that this continues for many years!!!
Kmemeo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kmemeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2020 at 8:13pm
how are you doing? I just started a clinical trial 4 weeks ago using paclitaxel and cirmtuzumab. I am on week 4 waiting for my 8 week to see how it is working. I hope this works for awhile.  I realize that it will eventually stop working or recognize the medication and at that time I am ready for another trial. I am hopeful because there is so much research at this time. Where are you located?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic