FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

alcohol and cancer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: alcohol and cancer
    Posted: Sep 02 2020 at 12:17pm
from MD Anderson Cancer center

https://www.mdanderson.org/cancerwise/2020/07/does-alcohol-cause-cancer.html

Certainly, I have helped many who never drank or were very light drinkers who had various cancers, including TNBC, but have also seen many who were heavy drinkers with various cancers especially cancer of the pancreas/liver. 

with my love to all here,

Steve

I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
Plume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2020 at 4:35am
Steve, thanks a million for that link!  What a star you are.....

I have only ever read skimpy bits here and there, including in the popular press, about the link between cancer and alcohol.  So, your article is what I have needed to concentrate my thinking on this.

Still, I was sufficiently wary of alcohol to avoid it completely during all of my treatment, surgery, chemo and radio and then only drank wine occasionally and in small amounts after that.

Strangely enough, since I have been given a date for the first stage of reconstruction surgery, I decided again to stop even the smallest and most occasional drink.  And even more strange, I don't really miss it!  It's been easier during the lockdown and limited social contact of course.  No eating out with friends and no celebrating of anyone's birthday, etc.

After reading your article, I feel totally justified in saying "no alcohol" to anyone with a cancer diagnosis.  In our village, there is a man having radio for a tumour of the parotid gland and I will now feel brave enough to tell him perhaps don't drink alcohol?  Like with many expats here in France, drinking wine at all times of the day seems de rigueur!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic