FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TNBC & Implants

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MarilynS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarilynS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TNBC & Implants
    Posted: Jun 07 2020 at 6:41pm
I just found this forum today.
I'm 72, had a double mastectomy with implants 11 years ago (2009). The June/July issue of Fortune Magazine has a long article on implants & cancer which I have yet to read. This is my 4th time with breast cancer. The first was the double mastectomy, #2 (2015) and #3 (2016) were small tumors that grew just outside the original area. The surgeon said my margins were clean. None have grown beyond the immediate area around my breast implant on the right side. The first 3 cancers were ER+; now it's triple negative.

I asked the breast cancer surgeon about having my implants removed; she said I should not plan on having major surgery.

I've been doing chemo with immunotherapy, Tecentriq, since August. The tumor has grown but it is not in my lymph nodes, liver or lungs. The implants bother me.

As soon as this Chinese virus settles down I will probably try for a clinical trial. My oncologist agrees.  I'm in Colorado and can go to the University of Colorado Medical Center. I'd really like to go to MD Anderson for another opinion but my insurance won't cover it.

Can anyone share experiences, either their own or friends? Any information is appreciated.

Thank you.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2020 at 9:23pm
Hi Marilyn,

I'm sorry this is your 4th diagnosis.  Have you had genetic testing done with a full genetic panel?  With your other breast cancer diagnosis', did you have chemo or radiation?

When you talk about TNBC and implants, are you concerned that the implants caused your cancer?  Textured implants were associated with a type of lymphoma, not breast cancer.
On March 21, 2017, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) updated its 2011 warning about a link between breast implants and a very rare form of cancer: anaplastic large-cell lymphoma. Because the cancer is linked to breast implants, the FDA calls the cancer breast implant-associated anaplastic large-cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL).

Your surgeon probably did not recommend surgery at this time while going through chemo since it affects your immune system and may make recovery more difficult.  You said the tumor has grown?  Are you on the same chemo/immunotherapy since August?  Was surgery planned to remove the tumor at some point?

I'd definitely get another opinion from a NCCN facility.  There is one in your state and I think you are considering it.

NCCN Research & Business Resources

Find a clinical trial >

The University of Colorado Cancer Center is the hub of cancer research in Colorado. We are a consortium of more than 400 researchers and physicians at three state universities and six institutions, all working toward one goal: translating science into cancer survivorship. Through collaboration and innovation, CU Cancer Center members discover, develop and deliver breakthroughs that improve cancer care for people and companion animals.

Keep in touch,

Donna

Edited by 123Donna - Jun 08 2020 at 9:24pm
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic