FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
sophie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2019 at 6:44pm
Hi, how is your xeloda and misotle treatment? I am thinking of you wondering if you have any updates? I am about to start and get a bit nervous ... any side effects from both drugs and did you start both together ?

Thanks 
dono7392 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dono7392 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2019 at 11:38am
Will your oncologist allow mistletoe? I have a holistic doctor who will give it to me but the oncologist says "no."
sophie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2019 at 11:40am
why your oncology says no?
k8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2019 at 11:56am
Will post here today (also responded via messenger)

Hi,

Yes, I started the Xeloda and mistletoe injections together. I started round 3 of Xeloda today.

The first round of Xeloda was unremarkable. Half way through the second round, I got very nauseous and vomited. I called triage and they suggested I start to take Zofran to control the vomiting and nausea. While the vomiting stopped, the nausea continued. My appetite decreased tremendously and I had occasional cramping in my stomach. I lost 3 lbs during the "bad" week of Xeloda. Once I stopped the Xeloda, things improved.

I had labs and follow up with my oncologist yesterday. She is not convinced that my nausea and vomiting was from the Xeloda since I did well the first round. My labs came back good - both red blood cells and white blood cells are coming back strong (I did infusion chemo first, then surgery, now Xeloda). Takes a while for those counts to come back from the infusion chemo.

I discussed the nausea and vomiting with my naturopath and she suggested a ton of remedies and supplements to help, so I am prepared if the nausea and vomiting comes back.

So far, no signs of hand / foot syndrome or diarrhea with Xeloda (which from what I understand are the most common side effects).

Re: mistletoe, I am doing well. I was nervous about injecting myself but its pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Typically, it takes a while to find the right dose / level of reaction, however, I got an amazing reaction at 1 mg (which is the lowest ampoule from the pharmacy I buy from). So much so that my naturopath advised me to try .5 mg (1/2 ampoule) and I am still getting a good reaction there. I believe the mistletoe is recommend for years, so good to get comfortable with it.
k8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2019 at 11:59am
dono7392: Thats disappointing.
Integrating other therapies was very important to me so I made sure that my oncologist was willing to work with my naturopath and integrative doctor.

Re: mistletoe specifically, she was fine with it. The only caution was that if my liver levels started to dive, she would want me to pull back on the mistletoe. However, so far, things are a-okay.

Not sure how important other therapies are to you but if they are important, you might want to find another oncologist.

Edited by k8e - Nov 26 2019 at 12:00pm
dono7392 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dono7392 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2019 at 9:41am
Apparently the type of mistletoe that is used in Europe is illegal here.
k8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2019 at 5:23pm
Hmmm...its not illegal; its not an approved treatment but its legal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic