FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC/T and Epilepsy Meds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Monarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC/T and Epilepsy Meds
    Posted: Jul 14 2019 at 3:53pm
Has anyone on this board had an instance where they had and were being treated for seizures, and started AC, and were told that their seizure meds were interfering with not only the premeds and nausea meds but with the actual AC itself?  

Monarch
DX IDC, Metastatic Stage III, 6/6/2019, Nodes pos, 5.6 x 3.3 x 3.5 left breast. Ki-67 90%. AC x 4, T x 12, Partial Mastectomy and Targeted Axillary Dissection, Thyroidectomy,
jcharbneau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcharbneau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2019 at 10:53pm
Hi,
  My wife was recently diagnosed and is being treated with neo-adjuvant therapy (AC/T).  At the first treatment, the pharmacy flagged her treatment due to interaction with the Tegretol epileptic medication she takes.  They switched her from Adriamycin (Doxorubicin) to Ellence (Epirubicin). 

They haven't mentioned anything regarding interaction with premeds or with nausea meds, and my wife seems to be handling those medications ok.  It may boil down to the particular seizure medications being taken.

They did provide a pamphlet that they had printed out from Chemocare.com, and I was able to find more information about the interaction using pdr.com (for example, here is the link for Tegretol XR: https://www.pdr.net/drug-summary/Tegretol-Tegretol-XR-carbamazepine-2485 and quite a ways down you can see the interaction with Doxorubicin). It may help to review the interactions for the medications in question and see if they have interactions with the proposed treatment.  it may be worth noting that there are multiple names for many of the chemo drugs (as with most I suppose) :-).

Hope that helps,
Jess

Edited by jcharbneau - Jul 27 2019 at 10:56pm
Monarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2019 at 11:21pm
Jess,

Thank you for the port information.  I am scheduled for my third AC treatment Tuesday and have requested an ultrasound to see if the AC is even shrinking the tumor.  I will look into the drug you provided as a potential alternative!   

Monarch
DX IDC, Metastatic Stage III, 6/6/2019, Nodes pos, 5.6 x 3.3 x 3.5 left breast. Ki-67 90%. AC x 4, T x 12, Partial Mastectomy and Targeted Axillary Dissection, Thyroidectomy,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic