FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Breast pain after treatment is over

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DanaB929 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanaB929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breast pain after treatment is over
    Posted: Dec 02 2015 at 7:14pm
Hi,

I am new here and am so glad to have found this site. I was diagnosed on March 6, stage 1A (T1c (1.8cm), N0,M0, G3). I had a lumpectomy and 6 lymph nodes removed. I received 4 rounds of TC and 33 rounds of radiation. I finished chemo on June 12, and finished radiation on Sept. 8. I was told to expect some discomfort and pain in my breast which I thought would have subsided by now. My ribs hurt and I often feel pain in my arm pit and entire breast. Frequently it wakes me at night or bothers me during the day. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how long did it last?
Thanks for reading this post.
Dana
Annie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2015 at 8:31pm

Hello Dana,    I know what you are describing. It is not fun at all especially after all the treatment. It did last quite a long time for me. I did have a seroma that developed after the lumpectomy and thought that it did not help the situation. I had quite a bit of rib pain also and quite honestly was not able to sleep on the side of the breast surgery for a very long time.

I am not sure if your Dr. has said anything to you about physiotherapy. That sometimes helps quite a bit. The muscles and tendons and nerves in the area all take a real impact from the chemo and radiation I was told.   You may want to ask your Dr. about a physio referral.

Try not to do too much with your arm right now. I was told not to lift more than 10 pounds by the physiotherapist. You are fairly fresh out so perhaps even less for you. This is where physio really helps.   An assessment can be of great value to you if the Dr. thinks the time is right.

It took me a few years but I am much better although I still have stiffness near the shoulder even as I type. I did end up having a Mastectomy due to other complications so all this surgery just added to my condition.   Hopefully yours will clear up soon but do not be discouraged...in time it will definitely improve!!!

Glad to hear all the treatment is over. Take care and remember your body is still healing.

God Bless...Love, Annie

Annie TNBC Stage IIA Gr 3 1cm lesion 2/5 lymph nodes+ lumpectomy,FEC & D 30Rads finished(08/2009) BRCA- Chronic Cellulitis due to Radiation-- L.Mastectomy Jan 2012
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2015 at 10:31pm
Hello Dana,
I truly know what you are describing.  I had a mastectomy and still had the throbbing, shooting pains in the mastectomy site.  I also had pain under my arm and in my ribs.  I was told that the nerve endings that had been cut and compromised during surgery and treatment would take a long time to heal.  I know it was at least 2 years before the pain subsided.  I think I will always have some residual pain in that area, but I hardly notice it anymore. 
Be kind to yourself and don't overdo.  Lymphodema can be a concern if you don't take care of the cancer side. 
We understand and welcome you to the TNBC site.
God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
DanaB929 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanaB929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2015 at 5:21am
Thank you for your responses. It is a comfort to know that this pain and discomfort is "normal". I will contact my doctor to see about physiotherapy or any other suggestions they may have.
Thanks again for your help!
Dana
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic